Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
    Likewise a heavier pack is worth it if it is more comfortable to carry, yeah?
    I'd agree with that to a certain extent. I don't really see why anyone would get a 8 lbs. pack for recreational backpacking at this point. Modern, lightweight materials have come a long way. In some cases, the UL material is stronger than the heavier option.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i think dropping pack weight is all part of the cycle of backpacking
    some of us take it to the next level... and some are happy with what they are at now....
    i think a good base weight is 20lbs ... i always said carry what you like.. but don't cry to me at the end of the day LOL
    before my back injury i could hammer out miles like nothing and still enjoy nature some people can just hike fast ... some can't nothing wrong with either way i have friends that couldn't do the miles i could and i have friends that can make me look slow.... the part that counts the most is Have Fun
    and hike with friends that hike the same pace
    i know i'm at the point that i'm adding gear back into my pack... i'm still under 10lbs but i have added a few extras back in my pack ... i'm at that point now that i'm not weight crazy but i still have my set weight i won't go over 10lbs for 3 season

also you got to ask yourself are you hiking to camp... or camping to hike
    either way Have Fun and HYOH ......
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I personally think losing weight in the pack makes for an overall happier trip. I did 5 miles with a 40lbs pack which isnt far but the 2 mountains I had to climb over to get there blasted my legs.

I literally dropped 13lbs off my pack for the next trip on the same trail and I was flying up the mountains and had such a good time.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    The longer I plan on walking - the less I try to carry.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    Thermarest Slacker/Slack house
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Super Snuggler
    Suspension
    Eno Helios
    You guys have me thinking. I been a Fireman so long now that the weight of my backpack has never really been the "thing". Hammocking has really opened up a new door for me.
    My Hennessy is 3lbs. including 4 stakes- I'm down half the weight at least from my old tent and ground cloth.
    An alcohol stove is only 2 ounces with windscreen- more weight savings over my Svea-123
    Cookware, spoons & forks, water bottles, condiments, flashlight, clothing, 1st aid kit (no kidding), extra stuff etc.
    Reducing the weights on these types of things and more have me setting up what I'm sure will be a much lighter pack this next spring. I will start to weigh things and see what I can trim off without looking like a hobo with a stick and a handkerchief. I guess this will be therapeutic for my cabin fever.
    Tom C.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Down all the way!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    For me another part of hiking is photography. I am stopping all the time to take pictures of stuff all along the trail. I agree, hike at the pace your happy with and be happy with it.
    I also admit that my budget limits what I can put on my back. Spending 50 or more dollars to shave 6 ounces out of my pack is simply out of the question. I can reason off spending $38 on a used 20 degree bag and then cutting it into an UQ but just can't even think about spending $200 or more for a "real" UQ that will do the same thing but weigh 8 ounces less. This keeps me out of the league of most of y'all but at least I can still enjoy it.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Down all the way!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Having said all that I want to point out that almost all of my gear has come from REI garage sales, EMS clearance rack etc. Good stuff at affordable prices makes me a happy camper!

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Planning for the same trip (a week long 3 season), my old base pack weight was around 30lbs (close to 55lbs with food and water), about a year ago I started going lighter and am now down to ~9lbs for a base weight (and ~24lbs with food and water).

I had no trouble hauling all the stuff I did. I'm young still and can handle it. As I began to look at hiking for distance and comfort, I wanted to re-evaluate my pack weight. I'm glad I did.

I do not believe that my pack weight will drop much more, because I still carry some survival rated gear. The fun thing is, weight fluctuates on the trip. If it is a dry section of trail, I'll be carrying more water. That stuff is heavy.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    BIAS
    Tarp
    HG cuban
    Insulation
    Baby Orca UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Just keep one thing in mind...a good comment I heard from a fellow HF'er at a group hang.

Are you going out to enjoy the hiking, or are you going out to enjoy the camping?

Most folks tend to focus on one more than the other.

If you're out for the hike...doing everything you can to lighten your load, to inlcude giving up luxury items, is common. That's where the "gram weenie" mindset comes most into play. The lighter the pack, the more you'll enjoy the hike.

If you're out for the camp...worry less about the pack, and more about what you'll want to have with you to get the most enjoyment while sleeping out in the piney woods. Pack weight tends to remain a little more secondary for folks who's focus is on enjoying their campsite the most.

Do what works for YOU. Let others hang their own hammock...just make sure yours is what you want the most.
    great advise!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The older I get the lighter my pack gets.
    For me its all about planning. I lay my gear out and remove any item that I have not used the last 2 months. Since I camp every month, this process has dropped lots of weight from my pack.
    Some one mentioned first aid kits.. big weight saving there. A few band aids and a couple ibprophine and you are good.
    My biggest savings came in dropping all the extra clothes. Winter being an exception.
    Bottom line is spend time with your gear and get to know it. Go lighter where you can and HYOH.
    I went from 35 lbs to 20 lbs and am happy with that.
    Will not sacrifice safe or comfort for weight, good news is with todays gear and some planning (and tinkering) you can reduce weight and volume.
    Just my thoughts.
    Jerry
    "I too have kept the Vigil"
    “Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”
    ― John Wayne
    www.thescoutmasterminute.net
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scoutmasterjerry

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast