Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: weight

as a long distance x-c hiker, i learned experience will eventually teach you what you need and don't need.

everything i carry is considered a tool you need to get you through your trip.
    i'm not so worried about weight as i am about not carrying more than is absolutely needed. an extra days supply of food is always a must though.

same with my sleep system. it must keep you dry, warm.
    weight isn't a priority. bringing a set of clothes exclusively for sleep adds weight, but gives a more comfortable sleep.

stoves are one area though, where you can save a ton. leave the fancy stoves at home. opt for a cheap penny stove instead. on the trail all you need to do is heat water to a boil.

i carry a saw. extra weight, but a necessity. (a fire is a must)
    i carry very little water depending on how available water is on the trail.
    i'd rather stop multiple times a day to filter.

i carry probably more than most and still can pack for 4-5 days and still keep right at 32-34 lbs.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The water is another thing I had to give up - I'm still not used to getting water out of a puddle, filteriing it, and drinking it. It's just weird to me. But at 8.5 lbs per gallon, I'm glad I'm not carrying all that weight. I love my Sawyer Squeeze!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannytoo View Post
    I learning a lot from y'all. I am not a gram weenie but I am beginning to understand the term a lot better, that pack can get heavy quick real quick. I just ordered Amsteel to make whoopee string and soft shackles and do away with any metal I have in the pack. I should have listen to what I have been reading.
    Your not a gram weenie yet...get a digital scale and you will be come one. Although I don't relate to the term, "weenie" makes it sound like there is something wrong with what I'm doing. Like it's been said, I try to carry only what I need. HYOH, but one thing I can say for sure, once you get your Skin out weight under 25 pounds, it's going to feel a lot better regardless of how many miles you do.

Good luck on your journey,

S

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps

Thanks for the GearGrams link

I always seem to carry too much weight. I get caught in the "I might need this" scene. I want to thank Kokak for the link to geargram, I will use that and try to get my pack down in weight. I also need to get a scale, but I know it will not lead me to be a gram weenie, because I still love those creature comforts. The older we get, the more creature comforts we like. My older legs do appreciate a lighter pack though. I've got to find that middle ground.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Your not a gram weenie yet...get a digital scale and you will be come one. Although I don't relate to the term, "weenie" makes it sound like there is something wrong with what I'm doing. Like it's been said, I try to carry only what I need. HYOH, but one thing I can say for sure, once you get your Skin out weight under 25 pounds, it's going to feel a lot better regardless of how many miles you do.

Good luck on your journey,

S
    This I can agree with. This time last year, I was carrying a military issue large mountain rucksack, mil ICW sleeping bag, and tent camping. I know I was carrying >35lbs.

At my last hang, my Osprey pack weighed about 26lbs. Last guesstimate, I'm down to about 22lbs of gear...and in truth, I'll probably not get much lower than that, winter weight.

But it's a huge improvement from where I was, and the difference in weight and how it's carried in that Osprey pack has made it immeasurably more comfortable to carry.

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannytoo View Post
    SilvrSurfr, You are spot on about hiking the 20 to 25 miles a day. Enjoying what is around you is the best part of being out on the trail, not bragging about how many miles you cover in a day. Like you my legs and back do appreciate the reduction of weight and I enjoy setting around the fire later at night instead of nodding off or getting up to go to bed early. When there are others with you this is much more enjoyable and if you are by yourself you can enjoy the piece much more.
    I've gotta disagree. 10 hours x 2mph = 20 miles.

Personally, I struggle if I try to walk any slower than that.

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    i have no idea how heavy my gear used to be, but it took me a year to go below 11lbs for summer and feel safe & comfortable in every way. it's true; we are packing our fears.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    I think at least some of the folks who do 20-25 miles a day are not speed demons, just those people who love to hike, as opposed to loving to camp, as Owl says above. They hike long days, not necessarily quickly, and stop at camp just long enough to set up a hammock and jump in it to sleep.

Guy Smiley beat me to it.

As for the weight thing, I've started thinking maybe heavy is good if it's for comfort--maybe a bridge hammock would be worth the extra weight, for example, if it were considerably more comfortable, whereas a light mug is probably always better than a heavy mug, because it's not about comfort, both just hold water.

Likewise a heavier pack is worth it if it is more comfortable to carry, yeah?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by guySmiley View Post
    I've gotta disagree. 10 hours x 2mph = 20 miles.

Personally, I struggle if I try to walk any slower than that.
    As you grow older you learn and understand.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Down all the way!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Mileage? Hike with my teenage boys and you learn that means nothing. They are off exploring every interesting (to them) thing they see and don't care how far they get. I will admit some of our most memorable hikes are ones that we didn't get very far. Years ago my wife and I did the "hurry we gotta make X miles before sunset" route and I'll take sight-seeing over destination hiking anyday. Yes, I know that limits some of our choices, but we are okay with that. For me, being out in the woods is the high not getting to a certain spot by a certain time.
    Weight? I've learned that I don't need everything I own. Take what you need to be comfortable, warm and well fed. I'm sure I still carry too much for a lot of y'all but it works for me. (Isn't that really the key.) I'd say I average about 27 lbs for a weekend trip. Not a lot but certainly not light weight.
    I have had a couple of winter trips where I have had close to 40 lbs though. But with my Gregory Palisades it was no big deal. Man that thing carries like a dream. It's a heavy pack so I only take it when I need to, but when the snow is flying and the temperatures are dropping it's my go to.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast