HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Down Bag
    Suspension
    HH Standard

What size Straps?

I'm finally ordering myself a Hennessy Hammock. I've been using pieces and parts for a couple of years always wanting one, so I've decided to just order it. I was going to get the Explorer Deluxe with the Hex Fly. Weight will be about 4 pounds, but that's lighter than my tent and tarps I carry now so . One question I have is straps. Should I get the 72" straps or the 42"?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaDan View Post
    I'm finally ordering myself a Hennessy Hammock. I've been using pieces and parts for a couple of years always wanting one, so I've decided to just order it. I was going to get the Explorer Deluxe with the Hex Fly. Weight will be about 4 pounds, but that's lighter than my tent and tarps I carry now so . One question I have is straps. Should I get the 72" straps or the 42"?
    If the trees are anything like the ones down here in FL, it might be worth it to get the 72" ones.

I shifted over to JRB Tri-Glides instead of the stock suspension after my first trip, but if I'd've stayed with it, I would have ordered the longer straps.

All of the usual acronyms apply.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    kind of depends on where and what size trees you are going to be hanging from......if it were me i would go with the longer ones, would cover more situations

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    One thought is to get one long and one short (or order both and mix and match), that might give you a few more options...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Down Bag
    Suspension
    HH Standard
    I was thinking for $5 get the longer ones. 42" is short. I use rope now and it's easy to add another piece with a square knot, but not so with straps. (Better for the tree too!)

I'm going with the Hex Fly over the included fly. Thought it might give me some dining fly options.

You guys seem like Hennessy guys...the choices are tough. I like the idea of the Explorer Deluxe for the extra room and length. I just think I'd like the extra room. Any more advice before I pull the trigger?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaDan View Post
    I was thinking for $5 get the longer ones. 42" is short. I use rope now and it's easy to add another piece with a square knot, but not so with straps. (Better for the tree too!)

I'm going with the Hex Fly over the included fly. Thought it might give me some dining fly options.

You guys seem like Hennessy guys...the choices are tough. I like the idea of the Explorer Deluxe for the extra room and length. I just think I'd like the extra room. Any more advice before I pull the trigger?
    How tall are you and how much does extra weight on your back matter? Those're what'll determine your choices.

For me, I'm about 6' and weigh between 185 and 200 lbs depending on my activities that month. The Explorer Ultralight fits me well--I just have a little shoulder squeeze some of the time (but that's an issue for me in all gathered-end hammocks that I've tried). Otherwise, it fits me perfectly. And, the weight savings that the hammock over the standard Explorer Deluxe meant that I was able to save 5 ounces even with the hex fly (comparing PU-coated to PU-coated models) versus the standard one.

It's still heavy versus some of the other designs out there, but I'm under thirty and in reasonable shape. Most of my outdoors adventures involve bike camping rather than hiking, and weight is less of a concern there (at least for me). So, an extra few ounces here and there don't kill me.

For you? I don't know. If there's a hang coming up in your area, it might be worth going to in order to try out various hammocks.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Just get the longer ones and save yourself some pain. I have the long ones and my son has the short ones on his Hennessy Scout. There have been a couple of times where they just weren't long enough, but there has never been a time where I couldn't double-wrap my long ones around a small tree.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Down Bag
    Suspension
    HH Standard
    Ok...I pulled the trigger. A HH Explorer Deluxe with the hex fly and 72 inch straps. I really appreciate everyone quick input.

This should be a huge upgrade from my Kalisto hammock and Harbor Freight Blue Tarp!

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    The straps you ordered should be just fine for anything we have here in Alabama. The straps I use are the same length and I have no issues when I am hanging.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Glad to see you went with the 72" straps. My son and I both spent the $5 upgrade to get those when we ordered our hammocks (Expedition for him, Explorer Deluxe for me).

Totally worth it. The areas we've been camping, there's no way the 42" straps would have been able to work around most of the trees we've hung from. I've almost wished for the larger yet straps at times.

Depending on how you're hanging your hammock, you can usually wrap any excess strap around the tree a time or two more than you need to in order to take up the slack. But if the straps just aren't long enough, you'll either need more straps or find another site to hang from.

Hope you enjoy your HH ED setup as much as I've enjoyed mine...best camping investment I've ever made. You ordered the exact setup I did...and I have NO regrets with it at all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast