Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies

0% Chance of Rain....Hah!

So, I had planned a trip with a bunch of highschool and college buddies of mine to the Ellicott Rock Wilderness for the weekend before Thanksgiving. The trip had been planned for two months now, but almost all of them bailed at the last minute. It ended up being just three of us, but we refused to not have a great time! Suffice it to say that the universe put our resolve to the test.

Driving up from Atlanta with one of my friends, we hit traffic inside the 285 loop, outside the 285 loop, and pretty much the entire length of I-85. Upon nearing the SC border, it became so bad that we were forced to detour. Long story short, we didn't even arrive at Burrell's Ford until 10:30pm, so we decided to be whimps and take one of the sites closest to the parking area. We hastily set up her tent and my hammock in the dark while shivering from the cold and trying to ignore our rumbling stomachs. We finally settled down and had "dinner" at the crack of midnight. This is where Bablefish5's pre-dehydrated chili-mac and my new Emberlit UL saved the day because I honestly don't think I had it in me to scrounch up firewood in the dark and cook on an open campfire.

As the temps began to fall into the low 30s, we climbed into our respective shelters and turned in. I had my winter Incubator attached to the WBBB, but I had never used it in temps this cold before. I woke up after an hour or so with CBS. Try as I might, I couldn't seem to snug up the Incubator enough. I tied knot to shorten the suspension and used my TTs which all helped but didn't quite solve my problem. This was partially the fault of my crappy sleeping bag "top quilt" that was only rated to 40 degrees and wouldn't even zip up either. One of the cancelees was supposed to bring my other friend a sleeping bag, so I let her use my good one and made do with my old crappy one. Finally, I got my sit pad out and put it between the double layers under my butt. Problem solved! I slept very well after that, even though the temps dropped into the high 20s! My thermometer registered 28 degrees which is a personal low (I know you northerners are probably having a laugh at that)!

Our third member arrived about 8:00am the next morning, just as I was getting up. We made breakfast and chilled around the Emberlit for a few hours before setting off to find the elusive Ellicott Rock. My understanding is that there are actually 3 rocks of note all close together.
    1. Ellicott Rock was first surveyed by Ellicott as the NC/GA border. It sits on the SC bank and is labeled "N G."
    2. Commisioners Rock was labeled as part of a survey disputing Ellicott's findings. It is labeled with a lattitude marking.
    3. The official tri-state border is a dark grey mark stamped into the top of a large boulder about 20 feet into the river from the SC bank.
    We found ER and the tri-state border, but CR eluded us. For those interested, you can find ER by looking for a rope that allows you to scramble down to the river bank fromn the trail. ER is just a few feet downstream. The tri-state border is best seen from up high on the trail as opposed to the river bank. Maybe someone else will post how to find CR?

Finally, we made it back to camp and fixed some of BF5's beef stroganoff. Wow! I thought his chili-mac was excellent, but this was on a whole other plane! After a long day's hiking, this was exactly what I needed. We settled down and kept a roaring fire going well into the night. We spent hours trading stories, catching up, and enjoying the serenity. That night, I used the good sleeping bag provided by my friend who had been late and slept like the dead. Even though there was a ZERO percent chance of rain predicted, we got a light but steady sprinkling that lasted several hours that night. I'm glad I decided to deploy my Mambajamba "just in case."

I didn't bring a camera, but one of my friends did, so I will try to get the "proof" posted later.

Things I learned this trip:
    1. I now possess the skills and familiarity with my equipment to set up in the dark. That being said, I will strive never to be put in that position again!
    2. I still have much to learn about getting the fit right on my Incubator. My previous "lows" in the mid 30s were masking a loose fit I didn't realize I had.
    3. Deploy your tarp or at least set the stakes and ready it in snake skins. The mountains don't care about weather forecasts!
    4. The Emberlit UL is an absolute keeper!
    5. Sit pads. They're not just for footboxes.
    6. I really need to finish my DIY top quilt. The enclosed footbox matters in cold weather!
    7. My new Platypus 4L water filter is another keeper. Man, that thing is fast and light!
    8. When cold and tired, beef stroganoff is better than filet mignon.
    9. I'm not yet ready for the Mt. Rodgers Winter Hang. Not even close!
    10. A "bad" trip where many things go wrong is still very enjoyable and far better than staying home. Get out there!
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    yay for lessons learned! thanks for the debrief.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Nice report. It is always a bummer to suffer because someone else did not follow through. Way to give up your best for someone else. That'll come around someday.

I am always amazed at how much I learn from trips that go wrong. I paddle with a bunch of guys I went to school with over the Memorial day holiday. This year will be our 34th annual trip. We used to just fly by the seat of our pants, and go to a river with a little research and paddle for four days. 1987 we paddled the Elkhorn in Kentucky with low water and it ate up 4 of our canoes. The bedrock was like a chisel and holes were abundant by the end of the trip. I vowed from that point forward to plan better. Now we have topo's, water levels, campsites, etc. all in line before a trip. More work, less spontenaity, but more fun on the trip.

I always ask myself after something going other than I had hoped, "Where is the gift in this?" Sometimes I have to look real hard, but it is always there.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Nobody was hurt, you learned some valueable lessons by over coming adversity and had fun to boot. I would count that as a good trip.
    Terry

Banned
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Thinsulate UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Glad you atleast had fun. I will never forget the Boy Scouts Motto, Be Prepared!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    I always ask myself after something going other than I had hoped, "Where is the gift in this?" Sometimes I have to look real hard, but it is always there.
    Exactly. My gift was passing some tests and being made aware of some other areas for improvement. It's always good to know what you know!

Quote Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
    Nobody was hurt, you learned some valueable lessons by over coming adversity and had fun to boot. I would count that as a good trip.
    It was. Thanks.
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    sounds like a good trip
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    A bad day out is always better than a good day in! Great way to get some of those keeper memories.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

• + New Posts