WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Cheers. Maybe I'm just a little bit overcautious, but I'm still not sure that's a bad thing. :-)

I'm curious, so I'm going to experiment and see how loose the hammock has to be before the ridgeline slackens off a bit. I will see how it affects comfort as well, with less tension in the line. I suspect it won't affect the comfort at all (unless I just swing more, which I like anyway), so long as the ridgeline is still straight, which is my intention.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    There's a "big guy" who's one of the other assistant leaders in my troop. He rigs his explorer "banjo string tight" every time. I've tried to show him how much stress he's putting on the hammock and the trees by doing so but he doesn't want to hear it.
    Not trying to start an argument about the Boy Scouts, but this reminds me of too many Scout "leaders." The guy's an arrogant dolt.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Down all the way!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Hey Rainman, one does not need to be in the Boy Scouts to be an "arrogant dolt". It kinda comes with the human nature thing, at least for many. Maybe zukiguy should get his friend onto the forum so he can read everything he needs to know and never knew to ask.

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari Deluxe BE
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    climbing rings
    Do what I do, get a Safari Deluxe. I hang mine pretty tight and the new ridgelines are rated 2100lb test. I haven't had a problem yet. By the way I'm 6'4" 310lbs.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    This is probably the best primer on setting up a hammock, and explains the ridgeline tension very clearly at 5.14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWlM0pROnpU

The Hennessy videos also show the same "rules"

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    MSH,Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by schweppe View Post
    the new ridgelines are rated 2100lb test.
    That's what I'm talking about... Ridgeline can also serve double-duty as a cheese slicer! Howdy from Bama, schweppe!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    That's one serious ridgeline!
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Brisbane, Great Southern Land (Australia)
    I have only spent about 15 nights in my HH Aysm Zip (first hammock) and I'm still sorting out many of the variables in setting up.

The topic of this thread is very topical for me. The more slack I tie up with, the more the banana experience, and as someone who sleeps more side than back, you get the picture. So, i'm now getting progressively tighter as I hang and the sleeping experience is getting better. My method now is tree straps at eye height, and pull tight until the hammock (in snake skins) is at nipple height. My goal is to get the flattest lay possible and I'm getting there. I also have the foot end about 50mm or so higher than the head end (using an excellent tip from this site there) and my hammock experience is getting better all the time. I have been surprised how much a small change in tension can make in how comfortable I am in the hammock.

Rather than attempt a direct answer to the original question, I recommend more experimenting. Also a good excuse to get out there, hey? I'm about 102kg and lean towards slightly tighter than most recommendations in written and YouTube instructions.

Tickelbelly

ridge line tension

I've have owned a Hennessey expedtion for sometime now. The first time I got in it the ridge line snapped. I called Hennessey for advice and they said send it back. I thought that was over kill so I replaced their "very stretchy" nylon line with an Amsteel 1/8 inch whoopie sling, which I made ,(thank you youtube!) and while I was at it I used the same line for the ridgeline. I use as much angle and height as I can with each hang but we do have to hang tight enough to stay off the ground. The ridge line is always very taught no matter what angle I use and the hammock is uncomfortable and binding at my knees and feet. Maybe I just don't get it but the amsteel gives me alot of comfort. I put my empty Gossamer G4 pack in the hammock under the knees and avoid the pinch on the joint, kind of makeshift but it really helps. I thought I was the only one with ridgeline problems!!! Thanks for the thread.

P.S.Thanks you PDA for the youtube link it was very helpful. After experimenting I found my home made whoopie sling is the problem, at 16ft between connection points if I reach as far up as I can and let the bottom rest at one foot off the ground The ridgeline actually relaxes some and the hammock becomes more comfortable. Much closer than that and my rear hits the ground and much further the tension return. At least I see hope! My possible solutions are find some very tall hiking buddies, train my dog to climb trees and attach webbing, carry a ladder so I can attach higher up or redo my suspension. Oh well in any case This forum is very helpful, thanks again! Knowledge is POWER!!!
    Last edited by Steady; 02-06-2012 at 11:21.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123