Thread: 30* Top quilt

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    DIY CimaShield TQ

30* Top quilt

Hey guys. I have been reading up on making my first top quilt and I need some help on choosing my insulation. My shell will be 1.1 ripstop with fleece i got on sale. I sleep in 30's -40's most of the time I am out. I was thinking either Apex 5 oz or IX. I am a cold sleeper; I freeze in my Sluberjack 30* in 35* weather with proper ground insulation I would like to keep this light and cheap; well as much as possible. Which would you recommend? Combinations? Layers? I am lost on this really. I read a lot about the underquilts and don't know how much it varies from top quilts.
    Thanks!

Hammock
    11ft DIY
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    DIY Primaloft
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I would look at primaloft sport. I had a primaloft UQ down to 29 recently and someone else there had a climashield UQ to the same temps. Both are easy to work with. I think climashield (clo 0.82/oz) is supposed to be a little warmer for the weight, but primaloft sport (clo 0.79/oz) compresses better. my UQ is 7oz/yd (a layer of 3oz and a layer of 4oz) of Primaloft Sport and compresses better than 5oz/yd climashield, while reaching about the same temps maybe even lower (can't say for certain. so far the lowest i've been was the 29 degrees previously mentioned). hope this helps.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i would go with the Apex 5oz should be just fine down to the temps you are looking at
    IX doesn't work best as a TQ .... you will run into condensation problems also IX works best when there is air gaps in between layers and thats hard to get with a TQ

so stick with the Climashield Apex in the 5oz ... i think AHE has the 6oz Climashield too might be better since your a cold sleeper
    Primaloft is good but there has been problems with clumping so quilting loops would be a good idea if you use PL
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    DIY CimaShield TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by futbolfreak08 View Post
    I would look at primaloft sport. I had a primaloft UQ down to 29 recently and someone else there had a climashield UQ to the same temps. Both are easy to work with. I think climashield (clo 0.82/oz) is supposed to be a little warmer for the weight, but primaloft sport (clo 0.79/oz) compresses better. my UQ is 7oz/yd (a layer of 3oz and a layer of 4oz) of Primaloft Sport and compresses better than 5oz/yd climashield, while reaching about the same temps maybe even lower (can't say for certain. so far the lowest i've been was the 29 degrees previously mentioned). hope this helps.
    I was leaning more toward the IX and Climasheild due to the need to quilt the primaloft, but it does still interest me, but I think it may be for a later DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    i would go with the Apex 5oz should be just fine down to the temps you are looking at
    IX doesn't work best as a TQ .... you will run into condensation problems also IX works best when there is air gaps in between layers and thats hard to get with a TQ

so stick with the Climashield Apex in the 5oz ... i think AHE has the 6oz Climashield too might be better since your a cold sleeper
    Primaloft is good but there has been problems with clumping so quilting loops would be a good idea if you use PL
    I am going to check AHE sell 6oz Apex or another type of Climasheild. Does it make a difference or is it just the loft? It seems that Climasheild thinks it does or they would not have named them different.

Thanks for your help!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    DIY CimaShield TQ
    Emailed AHE and they said that there is not a noticeable difference in the Climasheild they sell and Apex.

I have a quilt by Mountain Laurel Designs that uses 5oz Apex and I sleep in the 30-40, with baselayers, hat and socks without issue. When I get closer to 30 degrees I usually put on gloves and a midlayer top and I am fine. If it gets below freezing I usually have my down jacket near by. It's my favorite quilt/bag I own.

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by n1ck0l3man View Post
    Hey guys. I have been reading up on making my first top quilt and I need some help on choosing my insulation. My shell will be 1.1 ripstop with fleece i got on sale. I sleep in 30's -40's most of the time I am out. I was thinking either Apex 5 oz or IX. ....
    Don't give up on the IX until you check out TeeDee's thread.
    TeeDee's IX TQ & UQ

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    DIY CimaShield TQ
    I did not see anything mentioning if she put in darts or just layered it. Do you know?

• + New Posts