Hammock
    HHUL Explorer Asym.
    Tarp
    I dunno, came w HH
    Insulation
    HHSS & OC
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    So what causes the end of the honeymoon period and the transition into the conflict stage? Inadequate gear, lack of education, change of seasons?

I like the part that was specific to my personal experience: why can't I fall asleep? I'm plenty warm. I'm certainly comfortable. I trust my suspension gear to not drop me on the ground. Can one really be TOO comfortable to fall asleep?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Been through all the stages at least once. Now I just run through the last three every time I get a new piece of gear (that would make a nice flowchart). There's always that big question whether that new TQ, UQ, etc is going to give you a better night's sleep or just a wicked case of CBS. My last trip with my first PLUQ was sort of an epic fail (conflict stage) since I got a cold bottom and had to grab my SPE to get through the night. Now I'm hoping to make a few tweaks to get it working better (reconciliation stage). All in all I love my hammock and don't see myself going to ground any time soon except on some scout trips where it's not practical to hang (completion achieved!!).

Images
    What about the Hide Stage? It's when you discreetly put your latest must have / try piece of kit outside of SWMBO's radar.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    I have never had any trouble falling asleep in my Warbonnet. And, I've never been cold ... even at 5 degrees F. On my first cold night, I was prepared for it.

After more than 120 nights in a hammock, I'm still in the infatuation phase.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Thanks for the chuckle dejoha. I have a somewhat different progression but in it's own way similar, that some may relate to.

#1. After being an avid outdoorsman in a prior life I became civilized - you know, marriage, children, business, king of the hill stuff. One day I woke up physically broken, fat, out of shape & depressed.

#2. Idea. You used to love the outdoors, yeah that'll get you back in shape & outta the "your life is over" funk. Well um, the only excercise I got was loading - unloading - setting up - take a break, man this is a lot of stuff, glad I don't have to carry this far from the vehicle - tear down - load - man this is a lot of stuff - unload - clean & put away - man this is a lot of stuff and why is it so hard to get up off the ground.

#3. By accident I discover some Cannuck up in the True North invented, perfected & sells hammocks that according to a multitude of testimony cures everything from bad posture to premature death. Hmm, gotta get me one of those.

#4. Whoa this is way comfy ... uh wait a minute all the blood is gone from my left calf, I've tried every pillow we own guess I'll have to buy some more to try, what a great nap but where'd my right knee go, hey looky here a hammock forum.

#5. Wow there's a lot more to this hammocking thing than one might think. I'll order pizza & wings for the next two weeks while I gather all this cool info. With my newly acquired degree in hammockology I whip out my wallet, again, to finally complete the perfect system, and yet again as the weather cools.

#6. Ya know it's gotta be the hammock. Whips out wallet, slow is smooth smooth is fast. Yep this hammock is much better ..... um, you know I like them both for different reasons. Best naps I've had since I quite drinking but why can't I get a good nights sleep? Wish I wasn't so stubborn I would quite this hopelessness while I still have a shirt on my back.

#7. BRIDGE HAMMOCK, yeah that's the answer. Reaches for wallet that is now permanently placed by computer. Wow this is flat but why is gravity trying to squeeze me thru the bottom of the hammock? Must check with gurus at HF. Aha, killing 2 birds with one stone 'cause I'm so smart, orders insulated air mat with the CC now permanently tattooed on hand. Finally I've found heaven in a hammock.

#8. While this insulated aircore sure is comfy as the temps head lower an UQ would be a nice supplement ... excuse me, it cost what? Um that's ok I'll make my own. This endeavor is discussed in my sequel book "Thread Injecting Made Hard". After proudly showing up for a group hang with my newly crafted TQ/UQ made of cheap synthetic sleeping bags that occupied virtually all of my largest 60L backpack, the group kindly commended me as they pulled they're entire sub-freezing sleeping systems out of they're front pockets. I am currently inquiring about a second mortgage as I invest in a set of down UQ/TQ. I owe much of this renewed financial energy to MuseJr who actually has a job to pay for his habit & dejoha who has stuff given to him to "test".

Please Lord let me be satisfied with what I have & protect me from the dastardly one called ultra-light.
    The older I get the better I used to be. Superhero status is near.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think my progression was much shorter:

1. A friend started extolling the virtues of hammock camping. We planned a trip, I bought a hammock, and never slept so well in the outdoors, even though it got down to 25 degrees and all I had was a zero degree sleeping bag, a blue foam pad and a space blanket. And it rained like hell but I was so dry! No tent condensation, no leaks, or anything like that.
    2. Started reading Hammock forums, and sticker shock set in. An underquilt is how much money? A tarp costs what?

I'm still in that sticker shock stage, in utter disbelief at how much it will cost to get a truly lightweight big three: tarp, sleeping system and backpack. I've made some changes to my previous way of hiking, like embracing whoopie slings, water filtration (never thought I'd do that), freeze-dried meals (NEVER thought I'd do that), and moving to lightweight Foster cans and alcohol stoves.

I am kind of stuck in this sticker shock stage, reluctant to reach for the wallet for the big-ticket items, and even more reluctant to invest the time and energy in the DIY route. I could be stuck in this stage for a while....

And I suspect there are plenty of folks on HF for whom acquiring the latest, greatest gear is their primary motivation, but spend little time in the piney woods. I'm at the stage right now where I have to get out in the woods to justify the hundreds of dollars I've already spent on this hobby, before I start spending mucho dinero on big-ticket items.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 11-16-2011 at 21:08.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I think sticker shock is common in this hobby, but it shouldn't stop you from progressing.

I can't afford much either, hence my quest to find inexpensive alternatives. Synthetics are where I looked first, starting with the pads in all their varieties. The Poncho Liner was another inexpensive alternative, hence the PLUQ designs. Making or buying synthetic under quilts isn't too bad either. I've made a few from cheap quilts from Walmart from kid-sized sleeping bags. It works!

For me, it boiled down to "keeping up with the Jones'" or "being comfortable in my own skin." I eventually earned enough to get a down set of UQs, but I've got a closet full of "inexpensives."

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    You know the more i think back about my first few years of hanging it pretty much went just like you posted LOL
    i had the same problem as well i could not fall asleep and could not find a setup that fit my needs but after a while and many hangs i found what worked for me
    also your right about not needing the newest and best thing out there
    i wasted a lot of money over the years on gear i had to have ... and found myself going back to simple,cheap and DIY
    i sold off all the Ti pots i had to have and i'm very happy with a Heiny pot or my IMUSA pot works just as good as the $60 Ti pot but cost $5
    everyone asked me how much i spend on gear... i really don't spend a lot all my hiking cloths are Clearance items of Cabela's bargain cave i don't think i paid full price for any of my hiking cloths
    I think Sticker shock is a big factor for most new hangers as well...
    i remember posting the same things back in 08 when i found SGT Rocks website and when i would hang out on his forums ...
    trying to find a Cheap UQ i said a lot of the same things like Man... why are they so much $$ and how comes they are that much...
    i think DIY really opened up my eyes to what really goes into making the gear ... when you factor in time most of the Vendors are not making much off there gear they sell but i agree sticker shock is a big factor in my eyes
    i need to get a copy of your book i got to see it the other week Dutch had his copy
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fibre
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    My journey was a lot shorter. I had a HH for 2 years and didn't use it as I thought it was a bit anti-social as all my mates would be in tents chatting while I'd be seperated from them and alone in my hammock.

I knew it was a good thing when I bought it, and that eventually I'd use it, but the anti-social thing was a blocker for a while as I'm rarely out in the glorious outdoors on my own. Then one day it happened, I got a chance to try it out.

First night - Finally, a chance to try this thing out. Man, it's awkward trying to get this thermarest to stay in the right place underneath me...but boy is this comfy or what??

In the morning - Wake up refreshed, no back pain, no need to stretch & warm up to the day before I start doing stuff. Just straight out of the hammock & ready to go (even before coffee!). WOW! Don't really like that bottom entry thing tho, makes getting in & out of my sleeping bag & sorting out that thermest a right hassle.

Had to find out more about this hammocking stuff, went online & discovered HF...

Bought a WBBB (WOW!!) and a HF Incubator (WOW!!) - expensive kit but sooooo worth every penny. Never had down before, never going back to synthetics ever - man that stuff is warm even before my body heats it up.

So - I'm still at the WOW stage and I don't think I'll ever be at any other stage.

Thanks to all at HF, you've educated and entertained me, you've given advice freely and willingly despite my stupid questions and clumsy newbie-ness, you've inspired me and led me into a whole new world of awesomeness that my ground-dwelling mates have yet to discover.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    just need to get -one- of them to try it with you, hang the hammocks close, and you too can chat till the sun comes around again...KM (feeling better, but bummed about missing the TX hang...must block out time for the spring thing.)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast