HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS

How much CI or Litters does the basic hammock setup take up

ok im looking to get a new pack SOON "been looking for the last week" and cant figure out what to get because i dont know how much space i really need. so i ask you how much space does the regular hammock "say wbbb 1.7dl" and a down UQ & TQ regular size sil tarp. and say normal clothes and equipment "given i know i should have a slightly larger base space because of my size of clothes" reall take up in a pack i know that most packs have extra pockets or areas to hold smaller items like cook kits and misc stuff. but how much room does the main things that will be cept in the primary pocket of the pack really take up "not including food or water". and if anyone has an opinion on a pack that might fit me "6' 380lbs 54in waist "and if the belt wont fit i can always fit a new one on".
    thanks for any help on this
    BT
    BT
    "Hang safe and enjoy the outdoors"

http://tqnt.webs.com/
    Turtle Quilts N Tarps
    your home for custom made products

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S-4Door
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    This is not a hijack attempt ... just asking if a 70 liter pack is a good overall size for the bulk of hammock camping opportunities.
    Scooter

In theory, there's no difference between theory and reality.
    In reality, there is.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    This is kind of a tough one. You have to pack your own pack and carry it too.

Venturing my opinion for you might be around 3500 to 4000 CUI.

Are you just a three season camper/hiker, or are you looking to use the same pack for winter, as loads can be significantly different? More so volume-wise than weight although there will be gains there as well.

My choice was a Golight Pinnacle, for a couple reasons. Found one dirt cheap on clearance and it has load stabilizers that allow you to convert it down to about 2800 CUI from it's hefty 4000.

Lots of folks like the ULA Circuit or OHM, and on all three mentioned packs you are looking at Lightweight to UL loads, with absolute maximums of around 30-40 pounds depending on which make and model you go with.

If you can't try someone's pack out at a hang or somewhere, to see how your gear kit will fit, weighing the items will at least let you know if you'd be maxing out the suggested capacity, for whatever pack you think fits your fancy. How they carry that load, in relation to comfort, will also vary

All the above packs mentioned are frameless and fit well into the Lightweight load range. There are many more options out there to choose from, but those are the ones I researched, before purchasing.

If you haven't checked Shug's vid's on his load out for his ULA OHM, do so before going too much further. It is time well spent, and like his other vids chocked full of information and entertainment value.

Thanks Shug!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    If you're going to be backpacking for the first time, I certainly would recommend a pack with a frame. Chances are that your gear won't be the lightest possible, so a frameless pack probably won't be comfortable. Don't want your first trip to be uncomfortable, or there may not be a 2nd.

I have a Blackbird dbl 1.0, which packs down super small- about 5" x 8", a dbl 1.7 would probably add 40% to the size. Since you make TQ's and UQ's, you should be able to find those packed sizes pretty easily, though I could estimate that those items in down would also be about that size as well. Many of the purveyors of quilts, sleeping bags and tarps give you a packed size. For a super rough estimate, I'd say you could count on 1000CI or 16L of room for a hammock, TQ, UQ and smallish tarp. This estimate should give you plenty of room if your gear is not as small as possible.

For a weekend first time trip I'd say 40-50L is plenty of room in a pack, as your cooking gear, clothing and other items may not be compact at first. Over time it will shrink in size (as you replace/leave unused stuff behind) and your pack can shrink as well.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    One tip I learned is to pack up all your gear in a duffle and head on down to your nearest REI or gear outfitter and stuff one of their demo packs with your gear.

it's in your best interest to "try before you buy" and get not only a pack that holds your gear, but a pack that fits and rides well.

I would never recommend anyone buying a pack online unless they know it fits gear and fits your hips.

I test backpacks professionally (no, really!) and can honestly say that even though a pack has the right measurements, it may not mean it will fit and feel good to you.

Personally, all my hammock/backpacking gear and consumables for 3-4 days fits snugly in a 35L pack. One tip/trick to efficient packing is to eliminate separate stuff sacks for insulation (sleeping bags, quilts, etc.) because you'll end up creating a lot of dead space with the "bowling ball" effect in the bottom of your pack.

Images
    When I was looking for a new pack I loaded all my gear into stuffsacks and measured them. They totaled 3200 CI so I bought a 3500

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    BigT:
    As a fellow big hanger I will see if I can help you out by giving you an idea of what is in my pack right now and some of the packs that I have owned over the last three years. You have already been given some great advice and I will say that going to a store and trying a pack on is the smart thing to do, however not everybody has a local outfitter with a large selection of packs in their area.

I right now carry my whole winter set-up in a Go-Lite Pinnacle:
    A DIY DLGE hammock w/whoopies, straps and bugnet
    HG Incubator 20* custom sized to fit me (standard length X 54" wide)
    JRB Hudson River TQ
    OES MacCat Delux Spinn (8 stakes in CR bag)
    lt wt base layer thermals, fleece vest, fleece watchcap, longsleeve T and silk liner socks to sleep in
    Heinie cook kit with sm Altoids stove, screen, stand and 10 oz of Alcohol
    3L H20 Bladder
    FBC food bag
    camp knife and pruning saw (I like campfires)
    sm med kit and possibilities bag
    toiletries bag
    1/3 of a Wlamart Blue CFC pad for around camp and CBS protection

This is a load at the top end of the packs range but it all fits and is confortable on the trail for me while hiking. I have also carried similar loads in a Osprey Atmos 65, ULA Circuit and a way to big Academy pack when I got started. Definitely take your gear to an outfitter if at all possible, if not get a couple of the pillow cases that you have laying around the house and see which one fits your gear without a lot of cramming, measure them and see what volume your gear is taking up.

Sorry for the length, been a long day at work writing reports and presentations!!!!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You go to a variable volume backpack solution like the Molly Mac Pack. Since most people pack in stuff sacks or dry bags for organization and additional weather protection, why not just strap them to a pack frame and go from there?

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    My WBBB1.0, TQ, UQ, tarp, and sleeping clothes (and a flask of scotch) fit easily in the bottom portion of my pack - about 20L.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I have a Go-Lite pinnacle and love it. Its better then any framed pack that I have used. I like Dejohas idea of going to an REI with your gear and see what fits. I think your biggest (no pun intended) problem is going to be with the waist belt, no offense.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast