WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I've been home about an hour, took that long to get the crud off to the point the wife would let me upstairs.
    That was a nice trip. I too will try to post some pics, prolly tomorrow.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL,HH Scout Zip (son's)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    3S UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies - a must!
    Still no pics ...

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I wish I could upload videos. But here are some pics.
    #1: Don & Scott (Don closest to camera) crossing the swinging bridge by the lodge.
    #2: The Sheltowee Trace sign on the bridge.
    #3: a large rock with a tree's roots trying to hang on. I wish them well.
    #4: A neat rock formation behind some trees.
    #5: Check out the moss & etc on the roof of an info shelter on the STT.
    #6: Me at the bottom of the steps leading up from the Double Arch trail on Monday. I'm smiling cause I'm still in the woods, still 2 miles in. Didn't take one at my car, couldn't manage a smile there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Doctari; 12-04-2011 at 19:09.

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    On Thursday, before meeting up with Bosaihiker and Doctari I tok a bit of a hike out the unofficial star Gap Arch Trail. I give a short report - its a worth while hike. I used a cheap camera, so the picts aren't all that good. Hopefully they will give you an idea of just how lovely this area is.

I headed out after seeing my wife off in the morning. The skies were overcast all the way down - a disappointment given the clear skies in the forecast. When I came out of the gas station after picking up my pass, the sun was finally shining and my mood lifted.

I left the trailhead at Auxier ridge about noon. Within an hour I was out on the trail and took my first side trail to a view.

PICT0121.jpg

After taking in the views at the end of this ridge, I climbed down to see a large rock shelter. The climb down was a bit hairy, but it was nice to see the shelter. Climbing up was another thing. After walking along the base of the cliff, I found a spot where I could boulder my way up. It was a nice challenge, but not something I like to do while out by myself.

A few minutes after returning to the main trial I took another side trail and carefully worked my way down to the edge of the ridge. From there I could get my first view of Star Gap Arch,

PICT0126.jpg

Then back to the main trail and over to the ridge containing the arch. I first took a trail that went over the arch and out to another view point. On my way back I found side trails to water (used later while camping) and then one that dropped down about 15 feet of ledge and then a 10 foot crack to the level of the arch. I got a couple shots of the arch, but the ridge was too narrow to get a shot of the whole thing. It is a large arch with a beautiful shape.

PICT0128.jpgPICT0130.jpg

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

Part 2

Returning to the main trail, I had a bit of hiking along the ridge before any more nice views. Their was some nice forest of small pines for a while and one place the trail approached the edge of the ride with views far across the gorge. The trail came to a T intersection. Turning left I walked out to the best views of the trip - and my eventual campsite.

PICT0144.jpg

PICT0150.jpg

PICT0151.jpg

PICT0167.jpg

The author of Hinterlands described the area as a mini Yosemite. The pictures don't do it justice. there were view in over 180 degrees and ridges of a wide variety of spires and crags. Really different than anywhere else I have been in the Gorge.

PICT0144.jpg

PICT0150.jpg

PICT0151.jpg

PICT0167.jpg

I don't think its clear in the picture, but I was able to hang my hammock in the last trees before the ridge became solid rock. The view was great and I was able to watch the sunset as I made dinner and sunrise as I finished breakfast.

Back on trail I returned to the T-junction and took the remaining trail. it, too, led out to a campsite with views. The campsite was large, but the views less varied, but still impressive.

PICT0157.jpgPICT0158.jpgPICT0159.jpg

I was able to set up camp just before sunset and was able to watch the changing colors as I at my first meal cooked with my diy bushwacker stove. About 8:00 I decided to relax in the hammock for a few moments a awoke at 10:00. So I was up before sunrise, and was able to see the sun come up while I waited for breakfast tea to warm. I broke camp in time to hike out to my car and meet BonsaHiler and Doctari at the lodge to begin the official hang.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    My after the group story:
    Had dinner at a local Chinese place, drove back to the trail at Auxier ridge area. Meant to sit a few minutes to see if the rain would stop, or at least slow down. It didn't do either, sadly (I guess) while waiting, rain on the metal roof of the Jeep, full tummy, , , I fell asleep. SO, finally hit the trail (aka: the flowing stream also known as.) around 1600 or so, headed down Auxier Ridge to Courthouse Rock Trail (also a flowing stream ), about half way down Courthouse rock stream I found a near perfect site just down hill from the trail. WOW, what a night. My favorite time to sleep, but thoughts of the 700 Lb Bear in the area, made every noise (even the very familiar noise of my tarp "doing stuff") the bear sneaking up on me. I was never scared, just Very alert. so I kept waking up. Anyway, I talked myself into the "Fact" that: Oh well the bears wont be out in this weather. Yea, like they were at home, sitting on their recliners around the fire, drinking hot coco.
    Anyway, next AM I continued down the stream that was the trail, or verse vice, to the Jct with Auxier branch. Still raining, but what a NICE walk. Cleaned a few water bars along the way all day, that was a nice break. About 200 yards up the Branch, the trail & stream actually became one, on purpose, I figured my feet were wet enough, so I climbed around, Semi tough on a slick muddy & steep hill. So I had fun! about 200' further, the trail crossed the Auxier Branch, no way around or over. Yea, all of my effort to keep my feet drier, were wasted. Turns out that was fun too! Thought about taking the side trail to twin arches, but IMHO that is a place best viewed with a friend or more, so I headed up a new section of trail for me, towards the road to home. The trail is a nice walk along the base of a huge wall, to a small steep set of steps, that's where I took pic #6. At the top of the stairs a short trail leads to the now closed end of Tunnel Ridge Rd, & while I dislike walking on a road, as this one was closed (except to "Official traffic") It turned out to be a pleasant walk. OK, remember the bear that bothered me last night, at least in my imagination, well in the middle of the road, about 1/2 mile from the steps, I found a HUGE pile of bear poo! I sort of wish I had seen the bear, but then again, maybe not.
    I took my time on this hike, forced myself to stop & look around more than I usually do, I really like to walk, & sometimes I forget to stop & look at where I'm walking, which is actually stupid on my part.

Every part of this weekend was perfect! Yes, even the rain & the imaginary bear.

I hated to leave, still had a day & 1/2 before needing to be at work, thought of hiking Osborn Bend trail, but the knees had other ideas! Getting old sux, but sure beats the alternative.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Awesome reports! Thanks, guys. I'm still basking in the after-glow of that trip. We really need to do that again. I'm still working on the video, but it may be a little while yet. I just realized I never finished the video for my last trip with krugd!
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    hk 11' hyperD - The Silver Bullet
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge &amp; old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Sounds like an awesome trip. I am new to the forum and just reading this...

Anyway, I am planning to make a trip and do probably about the same route you guys did during the last weekend of August. Looking forward to it even more now that I've read through this trip report!

RedStix

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678