Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    This Yankee would be glad to have you, rngn. Good luck on the Illinois hang, but if it doesn't work, I'm sure we'd all welcome you.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    @ rngn: Shoot, around here they call me a "Westerner."

Besides, I'm pretty sure that, at least on certain weekends in the Gorge, there are far more people there from Ohio than from Kentucky!

@ MedicineMan: Love to have you up here if you get the time off! I'm planning on being there from Friday (day after Thanksgiving) to Sunday.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Darien ul
    Tarp
    HG winter palace
    Insulation
    Sniv/HG incubato 0
    Suspension
    dutch woopie hooks
    Images
    Can somebody put driving directions up On where we might meet and where we will be leaving the vehicles . It is A 7 hrs drive for me, Anybody from Illinois going and wants to carpool give me a holler
    Last edited by rngn; 11-16-2011 at 22:28. Reason: add something

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    @ rngn: Shoot, around here they call me a "Westerner."

Besides, I'm pretty sure that, at least on certain weekends in the Gorge, there are far more people there from Ohio than from Kentucky!

@ MedicineMan: Love to have you up here if you get the time off! I'm planning on being there from Friday (day after Thanksgiving) to Sunday.
    Yea, I'm 104 miles North "as the crow flies" & I'm called a northerner. **
    I'm lookin to head down as soon as I get off work, so somewhere between 1800 & 2200 on Thursday, Leaving late Sunday or Monday, all depending on the employment situation.

Hey pill passer, would be great to spend more time with you!

**Fortunately, after talking to a few locals, I sound just like them, almost regardless of where I am, so if I'm not near my car, I'm a local.

Still can't get the NC accent, & My paternal Grandparents were from NC, spent a LOT of time with them.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WBRR and WBBB
    Tarp
    EOS Spinn Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    standard
    Images
    I shouldn't even post anything yet, I'm trying to setup a sitter. If I can get free without WWIII, I'm going to do my best to be there. I need to get out bad before the weather turns nasty.

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I've cleared up my commitments and so will able to attend. Its time we decided where we are going. I'd like to do some non-strenuous hiking. But willing to do many gorge areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    But then I'd enjoy a hike up to autograph rock, could make a loop out of that. Have done it in a leisurely 3 days. Start at the swinging bridge?
    Doctari - where is autograph rock located? How far would we be hiking?

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post

I'm lookin to head down as soon as I get off work, so somewhere between 1800 & 2200 on Thursday, Leaving late Sunday or Monday, all depending on the employment situation.

My wife is leaving to visit her side of the family on Thursday, and so I plan to head down sometime Thursday. Perhaps we can meet up?

I will need to leave on Sunday.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by krugd View Post
    I've cleared up my commitments and so will able to attend. Its time we decided where we are going. I'd like to do some non-strenuous hiking. But willing to do many gorge areas.

Doctari - where is autograph rock located? How far would we be hiking?
    Whoo-hoo! Glad to hear you can make it, Don!

Autograph rock...I wonder if Gary means what I call Initial Rock, which is a big, bald rock on the Rough Trail between Pinch-em-tight trail and Chimney Top Creek. It's covered in carvings--the only place I don't mind them (too much).
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEarth View Post
    I shouldn't even post anything yet, I'm trying to setup a sitter. If I can get free without WWIII, I'm going to do my best to be there. I need to get out bad before the weather turns nasty.
    Love to have you if you can make it!

Quote Originally Posted by rngn View Post
    Can somebody put driving directions up On where we might meet and where we will be leaving the vehicles . It is A 7 hrs drive for me, Anybody from Illinois going and wants to carpool give me a holler
    We have to figure out where we are meeting first!

Stay tuned.... ACTUALLY....see post #27 and #38 in this thread!
    Last edited by bonsaihiker; 11-20-2011 at 16:32. Reason: Link to info requested.
    --Scott <><

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    OK, let's decide on a route, then the meeting place/parking area will be more obvious.

Don would like a less-strenuous hike. Gary will do almost anything, but will do absolutely anything for Auxier Ridge. I'm up for some views, but really would like to move around and otherwise just be in the woods with some friends. I am definitely not needing miles. Others who are driving in might appreciate an easy-to-find spot to meet up.

I'll most likely be there Friday morning, but since Gary and Don will be there Thursday night, I'll see what I can do about getting there earlier. I guess I've been thinking of starting on the South side of the gorge, if for no other reason than it makes it much faster to get out of the car and into the trees, though really it doesn't matter that much to me when I actually think about it.

OK, so how about these options (in no particular order):

1) we could look at a slow, stop-and-go hike at the Auxier Ridge/Double Arch area. Lots of cliff-top views, and possibly cold winds, from up there. However, shelter from wind is as close as dropping down off the ridge a few feet.

2) a "lollipop" loop from the swinging bridge down the Sheltowee to Rough Trail/Gray's Arch/Pinch-em-Tight and back, which would give some frequent elevation change and water availability, along with lots of rock houses/formations to explore.

3) the swinging bridge up the Sheltowee to Corner Ridge Trail (is that the right name, Don?) which would require a shuttle or long road hike at the end unless we make it an out-and-back. this would have the option of a side-hike to Indian Staircase.

4) Rough Trail end-to-end-and-back which will also give some elevation change and nice rock formations to explore.

5) Swift Camp Creek trail, either with a shuttle or an out-and-back. I don't know this trail much beyond getting to the creek from either end.

6) Start at Hemlock Lodge in Natural Bridge and hike up the Sheltowee from there, then go wherever we feel like going.

Any other possibilities? What would everyone else like to do?
    --Scott <><

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast