ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti, 20* Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Long Trail Thru Hike

n00b here, using a hammock for the first time on a long distance hike. Any thoughts on the Byer Traveller Lite? It seems too good to be true for something so cheap.

Any other suggestions? I'm on a bit of a budget

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    the price of the byer traveller lite is very cheap but there's a lot more to hanging than just a layer of nylon under you.

How do you feel about skeeters biting you?? Or spiders falling out of a tree onto you?? You'll also need a tarp to keep the rain off. And most people tend to get cold without insulation. How do you take care of your gear, do you need a heavier fabric because you're ruff on gear? Or can you take care of a thiner material and not rip it.

Your "house" (whether it be a tent or a hammock) that you carry, will need to stand up to whatever situations that you encounter on your trip. And unfortunately a hammock (and all the other gear related to using that hammock -tarp-UQ-TQ) usually requires quite a bit of prior backyard testing before you're ready to go out on any extended long distance camping with it. Well, unless you happen to be going with someone who's already a seasoned hammock camper who could give you pointers!!

Post on this board and find out if there's any of us near you that you could check out their gear.
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    Hey don't scare em'

I have no one around me that hammocks and I have done fine on shorter trips. Watch Shuggs videos and browse around. If your going on a thru hike I am sure you know how important R&D is, in this case Research & Develope your skills baby!

Playing in the backyard is fun, but not always possible. I have a busy life like the next person but never got more than a 15 min test hang before my first time out and I was fine, now all the friends I have started converting come to me. . . lol and I still direct them here.

Have you thought of diy, you can make a lightweight hammock that won't break the bank, just don't expect perfection.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    What time of year are you going? That will IMHO determine weather or not you need a skeeter net or not. I did a section of the long trail in late June early July and I wouldent be caught dead on that trail without a skeeter net. But to each their own HYOH. So many black flies that time of year. Beyond that A hammock system IMHO will work very well on the Long Trail thats what I used for my week journey. Just remember their are some shelters that do not allow camping outside the shelter so just a heads up to be prepared for that as well.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti, 20* Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I guess I forgot to mention that ill be taking a tarp lol. I just havent decided on which one. Was looking for advice on that particular hammock. I've checked out Shugg's vids (love 'em), so i've got an idea of everything that i'll need. I figured i would buy a cheaper one to start with, and concentrate more on the tarp and rigging.

Tentatively planning on going mid august or so, so skeeters aren't a huge concern. And luckily I've got a good area to do some testing. Just don't wanna sink too much money into it too quick

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I'd split the difference between an econo hammock and high dollar and go with a Traveler. I'm one of those that an econo -though not a Byer- failed on me. I've got at least one hundred nights in a Travler and it looks brand new.
    If you think about the Traveler as in leaning towards it consider the double bottom model...no mossies biting you, perfect for 1/4 inch ccf use, and a firmer lay.
    If you buy and and dont like it I'll buy it from you.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    I have spent, and continue to spend, alot of time on that trail and in the Green Mountains. There will still be Mosquitos that time of year, trust me. Do yourself a favor and get a bug net, or a hammock with one built in. Are you going Nobo or Sobo?

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    If you will fit it:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=42088
    nice deal on a hennessy scout.

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti, 20* Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    If you will fit it:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=42088
    nice deal on a hennessy scout.
    bahh sold!

I'm going SOBO, as my family lives right out of bennington. I thought about DIY, but i'm not terribly confident. The traveller looked ok, but it seems wayy short (I'm 5' 10", 175 lbs) How is the ENO singlenest? I've been reading reviews on REI's site, but everything is like 100% positive lol

Hammock
    DreamHammock!
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!
    I'm about 6'4 and the singlenest is just too small - I'd splurge for the double personally....given your size, I'd suppose that would be nice and spacious....ENO's bugnet is pretty simple....There are a couple of small mods that can make it better...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast