Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Trip Report-Upstate SC Fall Hang Nov 11-13, 2011

Just had a beautiful weekend on the Chatooga River north of Burrell's Ford.
    Spent some quality time with old friends and made several new ones.
    I'll post more when I get my pictures loaded. Suffice to say, it was GREAT!

swampfox
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I'm looking forward to hearing what all I missed.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Had a great weekend with great temps. First time for me to camp and hike on the Chatooga Trail. Lots of opportunities for hammockers all along the river and the scenery is just spectacular . It was nice being close (under 1.5 miles) the trailhead to setup a base camp which allowed WFR and I to eat well. Grilled Mojo Chicken Wings on Fri night, sausage, egg, and cheese sandwiches for breakfast on Sat, and pesto shrimp over angel hair pasta Sat night.

It was good to meet Riddler, futbolfreak08, Hooch, Carolinasbackpacker, GrizzlyHackle, Floorman, Chance, and Half-Hitch. Always good to hang with Swampfox, ChickenWing and his two daughters Kryptonite and Donkey Kong, and WFR. Sorry if I am missing anyone, going off of memory. Riddler took advantage of the cool Saturday to demonstrate his masterful skills flyfishing and landed a good size trout , one worthy of keeping and enjoying for dinner later that night. Around noon, Chickenwing, Kryptonite, Donkey Kong, futbolfreak08, WFR, and I decided to trek out to find the elusive "rock" About 15 minutes into our hike we learned that Hooch and Carolinasbackpacker were also in search of the mythical creature. As we continued on our hike we past several hikers on different occasions that said we were about 15 minutes away. This became our standing joke... we will always be 15 minutes away . Finally, we walked upon Hooch and Carolinasbacker and EUREKA! They found it! 3 parts to the find, hopefully I have this correct otherwise Carolinasbackpacker can correct this, we found Elicott Rock designating the NC/GA border (as scribed on the rock), we found the Commisioners Rock identifying the LAT/LONG of the corner of SC, GA, NC (), and the USGS survey marker located on a boulder in the middle of the river. After the BIG find, we headed back down the trail and stopped for lunch along the river. Kryptonite and Donkey Kong (ChickenWing's 2 daughters) did great throughout the hike. Gotta give credit to Donkey Kong, she wanted to bet me for my dinner that she could get her dad to carry part of the way back. Good thing I thought better about making that bet, she's got dad all figured out .

Finished off a great trip with the traditional stop at Pappas & Beer in Greenville. Great mexican and a nice big tall frosty Dr. Pepper. (What? I was driving )

I know. . . pics are coming as soon as I get them downloaded. Trying to get caught up on the all the football I missed over the weekend. And just to clarify. . . FSU was REPRESENTED! . . . Didn't see any wild tiggers in the piney woods and I guess it was too cold for the yellow jackets to be out. Ok, and congrats to the tiggers on their win over Wake Forest. ACC Atlantic winners. Guess as the saying goes, there will always be next year

Pics coming soon. . .
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images
    I think this is a pic of part of your group at the rock:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry_Dodson View Post
    I think this is a pic of part of your group at the rock:
    Hey! Yeah, they do look familiar.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    Had a great weekend with great temps. First time for me to camp and hike on the Chatooga Trail. Lots of opportunities for hammockers all along the river and the scenery is just spectacular . It was nice being close (under 1.5 miles) the trailhead to setup a base camp which allowed WFR and I to eat well. Grilled Mojo Chicken Wings on Fri night, sausage, egg, and cheese sandwiches for breakfast on Sat, and pesto shrimp over angel hair pasta Sat night.

It was good to meet Riddler, futbolfreak08, Hooch, Carolinasbackpacker, GrizzlyHackle, Floorman, Chance, and Half-Hitch. Always good to hang with Swampfox, ChickenWing and his two daughters Kryptonite and Donkey Kong, and WFR. Sorry if I am missing anyone, going off of memory. Riddler took advantage of the cool Saturday to demonstrate his masterful skills flyfishing and landed a good size trout , one worthy of keeping and enjoying for dinner later that night. Around noon, Chickenwing, Kryptonite, Donkey Kong, futbolfreak08, WFR, and I decided to trek out to find the elusive "rock" About 15 minutes into our hike we learned that Hooch and Carolinasbackpacker were also in search of the mythical creature. As we continued on our hike we past several hikers on different occasions that said we were about 15 minutes away. This became our standing joke... we will always be 15 minutes away . Finally, we walked upon Hooch and Carolinasbacker and EUREKA! They found it! 3 parts to the find, hopefully I have this correct otherwise Carolinasbackpacker can correct this, we found Elicott Rock designating the NC/GA border (as scribed on the rock), we found the Commisioners Rock identifying the LAT/LONG of the corner of SC, GA, NC (), and the USGS survey marker located on a boulder in the middle of the river. After the BIG find, we headed back down the trail and stopped for lunch along the river. Kryptonite and Donkey Kong (ChickenWing's 2 daughters) did great throughout the hike. Gotta give credit to Donkey Kong, she wanted to bet me for my dinner that she could get her dad to carry part of the way back. Good thing I thought better about making that bet, she's got dad all figured out .

Finished off a great trip with the traditional stop at Pappas & Beer in Greenville. Great mexican and a nice big tall frosty Dr. Pepper. (What? I was driving )

I know. . . pics are coming as soon as I get them downloaded. Trying to get caught up on the all the football I missed over the weekend. And just to clarify. . . FSU was REPRESENTED! . . . Didn't see any wild tiggers in the piney woods and I guess it was too cold for the yellow jackets to be out. Ok, and congrats to the tiggers on their win over Wake Forest. ACC Atlantic winners. Guess as the saying goes, there will always be next year

Pics coming soon. . .
    Yep I believe that's pretty much Right. I think the marker in the middle of the river is where the 3 actually meet so if you were to get out there you could theorectically stand in 3 states at once but that water was tid bit too cold this time around for that

Great meeting you guys this weekend... Look forward to doing it again.. Should have pics and video up tomorrow some time if not tonight.

Jeremy

P.S. There was one Tiger in the woods! ME!
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

^^^muskrat you are a true master of the emoticon

Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinasbackpacker View Post
    Yep I believe that's pretty much Right. I think the marker in the middle of the river is where the 3 actually meet so if you were to get out there you could theorectically stand in 3 states at once but that water was tid bit too cold this time around for that
    The water was moving too fast for me to try to get to it without a good rope and backup
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    11ft DIY
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    DIY Primaloft
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    this trip was a blast. sorry i didn't make it to Papa's. I got home and found out we were going out for my mom's birthday. you can't skip out on your mother's birthday. anyways, it was great to meet all y'all. i hope i can meet up with y'all again at the next SC hang. Goat island anyone? i wanna try the low country boil.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Well... as has been said, it was a great weekend. Half-hitch and I arrived at the trailhead around 3:30 Friday afternoon. Talked to a man and his wife that were fishing there and they asked if we were with the "Hammock people". There were a few already in there and had made themselves known. About 25 minutes up the trail we reached the "Beach Campsite" Anyone that has ever hiked that trail is familiar with this beautiful site with a nice sandy beach area. It has always been occupied when I've gone thru and this time the occupiers were Muskrat, WFR, Chicken Wing, Kryptonite, and Donkey Kong. Later they were joined by Futbolfreak08 and The Riddler.

TheRiddler has only been a member for about a week and already has a sub-freezing group hang under his belt.

Futbolfreak08 getting the fire hot for the supper TheRiddler pulled out of the river.
    I don't have pics of the fish but I hope someone else does.

About 5 minutes farther and we were at the bridge over the East Fork of the Chatooga.
    LazyBee and GrizzlyHackle were already there.

Half-Hitch and I set up in a little corner by the river.

Supper was Bablefish5 Beef Stroganoff. Man! That was good. It's definitely on my short list.

Went back over to check on the others and met Hooch, CarolinasBackpacker, Floorman, and his son, Chance.

L-R
    floorman, Half-Hitch, GrizzlyHackle, and LazyBee

Chance

Hooch and CarolinasBackpacker

Bedtime came early, about 9:15, temp was 37*.

Next morning, the temp at the top of my ridgeline was 37*, the outside temp at 8:00, according to the official Upstate SC Fall Hang Weather Station, was 29*

There was ice in the Nalgene.

The sun was shining and it was a beautiful day.

Downriver view

Upriver view

The low point of the weekend was when my skillet handle folded up and dropped 6 scrambled eggs on the ground.
    You know how I like to eat.

Had a bacon-egg-cheese burrito without the eggs.

Loafed around most of the day, went from site to site looking at gear and meeting new friends.

Here is Half-Hitch basking in the sun by the river, reading. It's a hard life.

Sunday morning, the temp at my ridgline was 44*. I put the gauge under my Old Rag Mountain TQ and in a few minutes it said 73*. I was cozy. Outside, it was 33*.

Built up the fire, fixed coffee and breakfast and went to say goodby to a few that were leaving early.
    Half-Hitch and I hung around until about 1:00 and then hit the trail.
    The view of the Bad Creek Reservoir was a beautiful ending to a beautiful weekend.

Discussions are already in the works that we need to have an Upstate SC Spring Hang as well. I wholeheartedly agree.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast