Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey.223 View Post
    So, wrt to the OP's question: Did I undersand this correctly? That there isn't really a correlation between hammock design and warmth, but rather proper paring of design between hammock and insulation...along with individual perfomance of the chosen insuation in of itself.

Cheers,
    Mickey
    I believe you have said it very succinctly!

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    People have made bridges with the underquilt sewn on the bridge to prevent the possibility of any gaps along the cat curve sides. One guy I emailed with said he felt doing so added 10 degrees to the UQ. The UQ ran from head to toe i.e. Full body coverage . I think venting was allowed via loosening shock cords at the head and foot If you search for pics from JerryW you can see his excellent underquilt and bridge.

After I settle on a bridge design, I will make my UQ like JerryW. My first UQ I tried to reduce material and only have quilt where my body lays, but I found it too difficult to prevent gapping and it only takes a small gap to lose a lot of heat when you are in the 30s and 40s.

I think if you design you bridge and UQ right you find it works about as good as anything with less fitment issues and will be very close in weight to the WBBB. My second bangle bridge with bug net was 14.8oz and spreader bars were 9.3oz for aluminum and my carbon fiber bars are ~4.4oz.

Ed
    Ed

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    There is a thread on this somewhere...
    Here is a link to that thread.

It a bridge for me.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryW View Post
    Here is a link to that thread.

It a bridge for me.

Jerry
    You beat me to it by ~ 60 min!

I started that thread to discuss my observation that it might be easier to avoid drafts with a TQ in a BMBH than with other hammocks. Several folks seemed to have the same opinion. OTOH, if you are inside a sleeping bag, in either type of hammock, or inside of a PeaPod and a gathered end, there will be no draft problems. Course most of us avoid being inside a sleeping bag, and others don't even use the wider sleeping bags as a quilt, to save weight with a dedicated hammock quilt. And some of those have reported draft problems, and I suspect they would have had less TQ drafty problems in the BMBH. At least I seem to.

As for back warmth, I also think there is at least a potential big advantage with a BMBH. And that is I honestly think the average Joe/Jane is almost guaranteed to be warm hanging a JRB UQ, and especially an MW, onto the BMBH. And maybe other UQs also. Unless you don't look at the directions, it is very hard to get this wrong. There are not going to be any cold spots, gaps, loft compressed too much , etc, with an MW on a BMBH. Hence I have never seen any threads complaining of being cold with that combo(have I just missed those threads? Maybe.) Of course, a really cold sleeper might not be able to go to 10F, but they will have the same problem with any hammock or quilt, and maybe even on the ground.

But let's be frank: there are LOTS of threads on here where some one has got a 20F rated quilt ( TQ or UQ) for a GE hammock and been cold at 40. They have draft and suspension or end gap problems mainly. OK, some people have zero problems right off the bat. Others have a lot of trouble, but usually get it worked out and then are fine, and plenty warm. But sometimes they have quite a lot of fiddle before they figure it out. The numbers of threads and posts on this subject bear(bare?) this out. An UQ on a GE hammock requires some precision adjustment, and even more so if not a dif cut. It has to be the right tension and position, and then you have to be laying just right relative to all of that, and thrashers have extra challenges.

A personal example? I love my WB Climashield Dif cut Yeti, one of my all time favs. But it has to be tensioned enough, and it HAS to be within just a couple of inches of the sweet spot relative to my neck/shoulders. More than a few inches off, and major venting is going to take place. Same thing if too loose, and it doesn't have to be very loose to be TOO loose!

These are not considerations using an MW UQ on a JRB BMBH. The 1st time user is probably going to get it right the first try, or at least close enough. But once you get things right with the GE, even if you don't immediately do so, you are going to be just as warm.

Plus, if you are using a GE with a PeaPod ( and for me an HHSS), I also think you are not going to have any of those issues. Any one seen a thread here titled something like " Got my new 20F PeaPod, and back froze at 40."? Nope, me either. You can mess a PeaPod up, but not easy and it is extra forgiving of error. And for those of us that the HHSS works for at all, and within it's temp limits, there is not much fiddle either. Just put it on, it either works or it doesn't, there is not much to adjust. So for these 2 combos using a GE, I'd say no bridge advantage, except in TQ dept compared to the HH.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-11-2011 at 17:10.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Thanks for all the comments and the link.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Wbbb, BMBH, Clark nx270, wbrr,
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    BB webbing, python
    I have a hammockgear incubator that I've tried with my deep jungle HH, my WBBB, and just last night with my new jrb BMBH. Unlike the first two, the bridge required no adjustment during the night and I was very warm down to a low of 31 degrees.The fit on the bridge seemed perfect.

I've only been doing this hammock thing since last spring, but I'm having a great time. My wife thinks I'm totally crazy but after 43 years of marriage she just takes it in stride. She says she would rather go "camping " in our nice big motorhome.

Go figure

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Isn't "banana hammock" a euphemism for a mens skimpy undergarment? I would think sleeping in one of those things might be a bit drafty.

Sorry could not help myself.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12