HH Hyperlite BE
    Tarp
    HH Diamond asym
    Insulation
    thinlight + breeze
    Suspension
    whoopies

Summer insulation

Does anyone have any recommendations for a summer bottom or lack thereof? How feasible is it to travel without a pad during summer months (im thinking like 55-70º sleeping)? i have a ridgerest and an ozark trail walmart thing. The problem is even last night, temps at about 45, i woke up with a reallllly sweaty back. during the summer when its more humid and warm, i know this will be more of a problem. Currently have a JRB 25-30º top quilt as well, any top insulation recommendations are welcome as well.

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    3 days “In-school”
    Images
    I always have a sweaty back on a pad, but I can't sleep without some sort of insulation even at 70. You might consider a Clark hammock with the pockets and weather shield it sleeps a little warmer than other hammocks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I had Stormcrow (Adam) over at Hammock Gear make me a custom TQ/UQ set rated down to 50 specifically for summer. Check out my thread

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=40763

for more details.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdizzle View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a summer bottom or lack thereof? How feasible is it to travel without a pad during summer months (im thinking like 55-70º sleeping)? i have a ridgerest and an ozark trail walmart thing. The problem is even last night, temps at about 45, i woke up with a reallllly sweaty back. during the summer when its more humid and warm, i know this will be more of a problem. Currently have a JRB 25-30º top quilt as well, any top insulation recommendations are welcome as well.

Thanks!
    Below 70 you are going to want something under you.

I'm in NW GA & during june this yr it was bordering 70 for low at night w/ light winds - had been very humid - I used a hammock sock.

"The problem is even last night, temps at about 45, i woke up with a reallllly sweaty back."

the pad you were on last night if not breathable -- is it possible condensation built up? or if you are getting warm - try to move it slightly to vent it a little

for summer TQ I made a DIY with very little down. even on a 70* humid night - I threw it next to me or over my legs.

Hammockgear has a summer quilt many seemed to like this summer

Hammock
    BIAS
    Tarp
    HG cuban
    Insulation
    Baby Orca UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I use a DIY poncho liner UQ. Works great, I keep it to the side until I get nippy, then just deploy it. it's not as light as most UQs, but the price was right!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    At 60 and above, I've had no problems without under insulation. However, I sleep extremely warm (sleeping bag ratings are usually about 10-15 degrees too conservative for me). Most folks should be good around the 70 range.

However, if you carry a low-loft synthetic topquilt or sleeping bag, you should be able to tuck it under you for warmth enough at 60 and above. I've done so with the poncho liner I use as a topquilt occasionally when it's down in the 50s, and I've yet to be disappointed.

As always, the usual acronyms apply.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite BE
    Tarp
    HH Diamond asym
    Insulation
    thinlight + breeze
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I guess i'm thinking summer in the whites..so that can be pretty variable depending on the day and elevation. probably from anywhere 70-40 if i get really screwed, i was being optimistic. I'm probably of the same make as you FLrider - i tend to sleep very warm. I tried sleeping with the JRB quilt and just a space blanket under me at ~35-40º, i was warm enough but there was a distinct temperature gradient from the top to bottom half of my body that made me really uncomfortable. my but was an icicle and my stomach was sweaty--not fun.

how do he poncho liners do in terms of weight? the gram counter in me has had me looking at gossamer gear thinlight pads, probably .25-.125" for the summer months, more just to stop the wind and put a little something between me and the hammock more than anything. @ 13oz max for 40" wide .25 which i would cut down thats hard to beat, i feel like the R value hardly matters. (or 3oz max for the 20"x.125). anyone have any idea how these pads fare? i came across this:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...thread_id=5464

3/8" = ~1.36
    1/4" = ~.90
    1/8" = ~.45

but i dont really know how r-values compare for hanging in terms of temp reccomendations

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    pdizzle:
    Have you thought about a insultex UQ that has removable layers. Check out diygear.com for the plans on how to build one as well as a great guy to purchase the materials you need to make one........
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite BE
    Tarp
    HH Diamond asym
    Insulation
    thinlight + breeze
    Suspension
    whoopies
    bigbamaguy:
    what is this insultex material? from reading their website it sounds like a miracle at .5mm and only .42oz/sqyd. the only drawback is that it says its impermeable, so does it really work out to be much different than a ccf pad besides the lack of wrestling?

For the winter, i like the idea of this MUCH better than a down underquilt, however. have you used one of these yourself?

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Yes I have used Insultex in a UQ. I used it as a supplement to one of my KAQ New River UQ's when the temps were to be below freezing. I also used one layer by itself into the upper 50's during a trial period last year. I had no condensation issues and will probably look into making several UQ's this next year. The only issues that I have found with the insultex does not compress like other insultation materials and it needs to have a outer layer of ripstop to keep the material from snagging on things. It is more of a roll and fold type material to get it packed down.

Presently for my winter gear set-up I have a Hammockgear.com custom sized 20* Incubator, a JRB Hudson River down TQ. I was not at first a down fan, but I have come to appreciate the packability and warmth from these items.
    Last edited by bigbamaguy; 11-10-2011 at 10:54.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast