Hammock
    HH Hyperlite BE
    Tarp
    HH Diamond asym
    Insulation
    thinlight + breeze
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Thanks bigbama - this seems like its definitely a viable option, and relatively inexpensive to DIY. maybe it could be my first DIY project using the guide at diygearsupply.com.

i guess i thought that it said here that it wasn't breathable: http://insultex.com/index2.html

I think i may have read it wrong though.

I suppose the lack of packability is a downside, but in my case a CCF pad was the other option and those don't exactly excel in that category either, so its probably a better option in that regard. I could even have a nice picnic quilt!

The only thing really tieing me to a CCF pad is the option to use it as a pack frame in my SMD traveler, although i suppose a 4oz stay and insultex pad may end up being less weight anyway and better support. Do you have any idea what yours ended up weighing? and did you follow the directions on diygearsupply.com? (any tips?)

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I always sweat with a pad too. For the temps you're working with I'd recommend the
    Gar-quilt, its definitely affordable and it works! See my review here.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I made a sewn thru down underquilt. It's a partial lenght one with 3 ounces of 900 FP down. It's comfortable when warm but surprizingly will take me down to 40 with a good top quilt and not much wind.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Actually I got my insultex from a forum member already made. I will be in the future using the didygearsupply.com instructions in the future when I do make these quilts.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdizzle View Post
    I guess i'm thinking summer in the whites..so that can be pretty variable depending on the day and elevation. probably from anywhere 70-40 if i get really screwed, i was being optimistic. I'm probably of the same make as you FLrider - i tend to sleep very warm. I tried sleeping with the JRB quilt and just a space blanket under me at ~35-40º, i was warm enough but there was a distinct temperature gradient from the top to bottom half of my body that made me really uncomfortable. my but was an icicle and my stomach was sweaty--not fun.

how do he poncho liners do in terms of weight? the gram counter in me has had me looking at gossamer gear thinlight pads, probably .25-.125" for the summer months, more just to stop the wind and put a little something between me and the hammock more than anything. @ 13oz max for 40" wide .25 which i would cut down thats hard to beat, i feel like the R value hardly matters. (or 3oz max for the 20"x.125). anyone have any idea how these pads fare? i came across this:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...thread_id=5464

3/8" = ~1.36
    1/4" = ~.90
    1/8" = ~.45

but i dont really know how r-values compare for hanging in terms of temp reccomendations
    I hear you on the temperature gradient. It's never fun. GI poncho liners run about 22 oz, so not super-light. Light for me, but I was running with a five-pound sleeping bag before I switched over. However, the price is right for one of 'em; they run $20 to $30 most places.

As far as IX goes, all the information I've seen (I've not worked with it myself yet) says that it is slightly permeable. The foam itself is not permeable, but it is needle-punched to hold it to the scrim backing, which allows some moisture to escape. Here is a very basic IX underquilt design, along with a wealth of information on the material and how it performs.

If you want cheap and easy, there's a thread that details how to turn a poncho liner into an underquilt without sewing skills. If you sleep like I do, it should be good down to about 40 F with no mods. I've tested it in my front yard down to 41 without issue, once I fixed some suspension problems. I figure with good clothing and a space blanket in between the hammock and me, I should be good to freezing using that. I'm currently waiting for the temps to drop that low here.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    my gg torsolight pad makes a good pack frame, and good temp booster if needed.

i'd go with a partial down uq- rated to 50, and supplement with the torso pad if you get cold. the uq could also be 'worn' like a blanket, while out of the hammock, if its real cold around camp.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite BE
    Tarp
    HH Diamond asym
    Insulation
    thinlight + breeze
    Suspension
    whoopies
    MAD777 - Whats the loft on the quilt you've made? I've read ~3.5 CLO/in (3.1R) for 900FP so i'm figuring about .5-.75 in loft for an R value of about 1.5-1.75 should be plenty. Whats your experience? i'm figuring over doing the loft to account for the sew thru construction. If I'm to make a quilt, i'm shooting for simple

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdizzle View Post

i guess i thought that it said here that it wasn't breathable: http://insultex.com/index2.html

I think i may have read it wrong though.
    You didn't read it wrong. It's not breathable. I use a hammock sock with Insultex in the bottom. It works fine for extra warmth with my down underquilt when I need to go below 20 degrees in the winter. But I've had issues with the combo in temps above 40 degrees. I get condensation between my underquilt & the sock. And not just dampness, I had droplets of water!
    Down is expensive but it's worth it. It breaths, it packs down and it's light. If you're worried about it getting wet just put it in a dry bag in your pack.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I use Arrowheads Jarbridge UQ's ( I have a 1 and 3 season version) and find them to work very well. Have only used them down to 50 degrees so far. Check Arrowhead as Pual has been know to go crazy and have sales on his products
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite BE
    Tarp
    HH Diamond asym
    Insulation
    thinlight + breeze
    Suspension
    whoopies
    i decided to sleep out last night and use my JRB quilt as an underquilt as a trial run, somehow never really thought of this. It was a bit more work because i was working with just cord, no elastic cord or biners and a recangular quilt/asym hammock. All that aside, I think I slept the most comfortable night I have ever had in my hammock. The immediate warmth when i climbed in was unbelievable. In summary, I am SOLD on underquilts

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast