DIY Bridge: The metro
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images

Bridge hammock made from denim. Rope or webbing?

Yes that's right I'm using denim and a medium weight cotton. I realize this isn't the normal material for bridge hammocks, but it's what I had on hand. Ive watched the videos Grizz made and I've read the stuff by TeeDee. I wanted to use webbing but I can't wrap the material several times around the webbing. I was told no sewing machine could sew through that dense of material.

For those who have used rope for their bridge, how have your hammocks held up?

Any recommendations for how to sew the channels?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I made one of canvas and rope, a "vintage" hammocke, see this video.

Made a channel for the rope, then stitched the hammock body and rope together at the corners to keep the body from slipping under load.

It didn't get a lot of use, but was built like a tank.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    All I can say is wow Grizz.

Pb, good luck. Denim is pretty thick to sew. Pics when your done please.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    As I have been sewing this hammock up I've run into the needle, only once or twice so far, getting stuck in the fabric when I had the denim holder over twice to sew a sealed edge. I noticed Grizz using some hand threader thing, maybe thats what I should get. I bet that thing can go threw a couple layer of denim and webbing.

I read the article about the dual mode hammock and plan to attach a loop at each end for the rope, blue amsteel, to attach.

Jazilla- you're request is my command. Today sometime I'll post a few pictures of the body and share what was easy and what went wrong.

Hammock
    Dutchware knotty mod
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    Straps currently
    Images
    Hey all PB shared this with me last night--Pic of progress. This will be way comfy on that front porch buddy!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    May I ask why denim?
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paprika bohlmann View Post
    As I have been sewing this hammock up I've run into the needle, only once or twice so far, getting stuck in the fabric when I had the denim holder over twice to sew a sealed edge. I noticed Grizz using some hand threader thing, maybe thats what I should get. I bet that thing can go threw a couple layer of denim and webbing.
    I used a "Speedy Stitcher" sewing awl. Pretty handy, but I have to say that two rows of stitching, each 7 feet long, at 8 stitches per inch was a lot of hand stitching.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    Jazilla- I had it on hand. I lived in Idaho for a year and at the church I worked at there was a quilting group of sweet old women. they had no use for a bunch of fabric and they knew I like to make things so they gave it to me. That was like 7 or 8 years ago and now I finally had use one of the huge pieces they gave me. I wanted to make make a double layer bridge and the only two pieces of fabric I had that were big enough was an old futon cover and that piece of denim.

This hammock will probably only be used for front porch hanging and car camping. I might take it with me to make the gram wienies cringe. I once for a three day hike lugged a sack of apples and a fifth of Tequila. Weight hasn't been a huge thing to me.

Grizz- I watched a video of how to use the "Speedy Stitcher" and I imagined myself while watching Fraiser or Startrek the Next Generation with my wife quietly sitting there stitching. I can be the modern version of an old man in the rocking chair whittling a piece of wood on the front porch.

Mike-Thanks for posting that.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images

The beefy bridge

This is a lesson for those who are going to use two different pieces of fabric, limited sewing skills and even less planning. the first photo is of the two different layers of fabric. A medium weight cotton, an old futon cover, and a heavy denim material. First off, the two fabrics act different. This is something I didn't think about until it was to late. The denim didn't stretch the cotton did.

IMG_3448 by pappy2012, on Flickr

IMG_3449 by pappy2012, on Flickr
    My first stitch was to make the sealed edge at the foot end. I'm a novice at sewing so my lines weren't strait but they got the job done. You'll notice that the cotton and denim fabric appear to be two different lengths and thats because they are two different lengths. the two different lengths was not what I planned on.

After I sealed the bottom edges I wanted to make the two pieces one. No picture provide. I measured the two pieces at the same time, cotton on top denim on bottom. the Denim is 8ft long and the cotton is just a inch or so shorter. I think thats because of the stretch of the fabric. I Think the only problem will be aesthetically. to combine the two pieces I put the outside of the fabric against each other sewed a line then flipped right side out and then sewed another line.

IMG_3450 by pappy2012, on Flickr

This next photo (above) is from the curve edge of the hammock. As you can see my sticking is improving and it was easy to track the edge. Actually it was only easy until about half way down the edge.

IMG_3451 by pappy2012, on Flickr

This next photo shows how the cotton fabric starting acting weird and wanted to pull away from the curve of the denim. I figured this was do to curve of the fabric, the types of material, and my lack of experience with sewing. Whatever the reason was it was very frustrating to go from nice clean edges to unkept and unruly.

My next step will be to sew channels along the curve for the amsteel. After posting this thread I discovered the article about the dual mode hammock and decided to sew on loops made from webbing at the ends to attach the rope to the hammock.

overall I'm happy with this project. Its really my first time at sewing something so large and working with two different types of material. The first hang will be very rewarding.

• + New Posts