Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Custom & WBBB
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Suspension
    Web Suspension

Not all webbing strap created equal AHE vs. DIY

So I’m learning as I go, working with different DIY projects. Some I’ve been able to finish ok, like the bug netting on a $49 Safari. Some not so well, like my first attempt at a DIY synthetic peapod (I will NEVER post those pics!). After working on some of the bigger things (the bug netting), I figured making my own webbing suspension would be a piece of cake. That’s when I learned the hard way that not all webbing strap is created equal!

I picked up thirty feet of webbing strap from backwoods daydreamer (diygearsupply.com), when I had ordered my materials for adding my bug netting. They are a great one-stop go-to site for gear makers! Their webbing cost is about .40 cents per foot. When I got the webbing strap, I noticed how soft it was, doubled layered and strong. The rating on the strap is 1500 pounds. I liked the material as it seems it would be easy to work with, fold up nicely, and soft to the touch. This webbing strap would be perfect for AHE or Warbonnet style buckles or classic ring buckles. It DID NOT do well with cinch buckles at all. I included a photo below of the buckles I use and the damaged part of the strap. I think the issue is that the softness of the strap warps and stretches then rips at the edges based on the cinch buckle design when adding a backup knot. In three nights sleep, I ended up with five similar spots, three on one strap, and two on the other. While this isn’t a complete failure, it doesn’t make one feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I've used Warbonnet webbing with my WBBB in the past. The straps are more densely woven, tighter, and not as soft. I wanted to try another manufacturer to see how their gear would hold up to others I have used. I picked up some webbing straps from AHE (Arrowhead Equipment). While AHE is a bit higher per foot, .50 cents over the other sites .40, and has a lower weight rating, 1000 pounds to 1500. AHE will add a sewn loop at the end of each for a biner at no extra charge, thus making them a non-DIY project. I did heat the extra stitching to clean up the ends (couldn’t help myself).

The pictures of the webbing look nearly identical to that of diygearsupply.com. Shipping was about the same for both concerning cost and delivery time. But the webbing is more like that which is used at Warbonnet. Below are comparison pics. Top webbing is from AHE on each pic, while the bottom is from DIYgearsupply. I also noticed the webbing from AHE didn’t stretch at all, not even after a full night sleep. The DIY webbing stretches some based on its soft woven lines. The AHE line doesn’t tie a safety not as well as the DIY because of stiffness.

I think for those using classic round rings or the older style rolled edge triangle buckles, the DIY would be easier to work with. But for those of us that use cinch buckles and a backup knot, the AHE style webbing is definitely the way to go. The edges are woven tighter, no stretch equals no ripping or broken straps in the middle of the night.

If anyone has had good or bad experiences with other manufacturers webbing straps, or have pics, please feel free to add in. I’m curious of other forum member’s trials and tests.

Hammock
    HHEA, HHEUL, HHSD, GTUL
    Tarp
    DIY KindaLite 1.1
    Insulation
    TQ, DIY Fusion UQ
    Suspension
    W-Slings, Trunks
    Just going by the photos and gut feeling, the DIYGS webbing looks like a nylon webbing (Stretches under load, really stretches when wet, not all that abrasion resistant) while the AHE stuff looks like a poly webbing (stronger, less stretchy, etc). That said, the DIYGS stuff could be a poly webbing with some kind of very coarse weave.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    While I'm a marlin spike hitch fan personally, I've never had any trouble with the webbing from Diygearsupply. It does have a soft feel, but is made of polyester and has held up fine. Of the few frays I've seen, I've simply sniped and melted to repair. It's the same wear that will occur along the edge any strap. I've seen 2 inch wide 1/4 inch thick straps with the entire edges frayed and nicked still hold multiple ton loads on a truck bed without concern.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    HH Custom & WBBB
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Suspension
    Web Suspension
    catavaria, I think you're correct. Giving the edges a bit of heat from a lighter did the trick. The Seam appears just as strong. While I still prefer the tightly woven strapping from AHE, the DIYGS stuff held up no problems with another few nights sleep.

I kept the hammock strung low (just in case), and didn't add the backup knots, I think the knots I'm tying may cause binding under stress. Thus the edges fraying.

I didn't mean to sound like I was knocking the DIYGS guys. I've ordered from them a couple times now, product is always shipped fast and they have good pricing. They are a very good one stop shop for hammock making gear.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY winter
    Insulation
    ATP
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Please reconsider posting the DIY peapod pics I'm curious now. I promise not to judge. No promises about laughing though.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Seems like you've presented your findings and didn't throw DIYGS under the bus at all. Have you contacted Scott at DIYGS about this? He might like to know what you've found so he can either take corrective action if it was faulty manufacturing or perhaps he would seek out another manufacturer. Although Catavarie seems to have had no problems there are some idiosyncrasies in production runs.

Oh yeah, pics of your Peapod or else we call the hammock police on you.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Thanks

Very nice review. I for one would love to see the peapod as well. I was very impressed with the bugnet you did a few weeks back.

If it's messed up even better as it will allow us to learn from your mistakes. I mean that in a good way.

Hammock
    HH Custom & WBBB
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Suspension
    Web Suspension
    Peapod picks? Never! The product turned out ok, I just seriously misjudged my size when I started cutting up both of my older 20 degree Synthetic Ketly bags. I gave it to my buddy for his Eno (thin fella). If he doesn't mind, I may take a pick with him using it and post it up. It's nothing worth showing off though, my sewing skills were monsterous. Complete hack job.The only pic I currently have, is with me zipped in it.

Image if you will, taking a red & blue size 12 mens dress sock, then shoving a football into it about half way. Then once you've managed to force the football to the center, you pull out hard on both ends of the sock! That was me in my first ever DIY Peapod project!!! I looked like a wet beaver wrapped in holiday colored celophane!! That photo will NEVER surface, and you guys are sick for asking

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Brickwurx mfg. View Post
    Peapod picks? Never! The product turned out ok, I just seriously misjudged my size when I started cutting up both of my older 20 degree Synthetic Ketly bags. I gave it to my buddy for his Eno (thin fella). If he doesn't mind, I may take a pick with him using it and post it up. It's nothing worth showing off though, my sewing skills were monsterous. Complete hack job.The only pic I currently have, is with me zipped in it.

Image if you will, taking a red & blue size 12 mens dress sock, then shoving a football into it about half way. Then once you've managed to force the football to the center, you pull out hard on both ends of the sock! That was me in my first ever DIY Peapod project!!! I looked like a wet beaver wrapped in holiday colored celophane!! That photo will NEVER surface, and you guys are sick for asking

Nothing stays secret forever. Even Bigfoot, aka Sasquatch keeps getting caught.

Call me sick, but now I would love to see it even more.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have both Warbonnet and DIYGearSupply straps. I agree with your descriptions of how each feels. I have been using DIYGearSupply straps for nearly a year now with whoopie slings sewn into the closed loop on the strap and Dutch clips on the other end. They show no signs of wear at all.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast