Hammock
    BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Bigbamaguy....I appreciate the offer but I am going to wait on the NX-250 since it has the separate fly. Kinda want to try out what I am looking to purchase.

I started this thread to look at an alternative to the BMBH system and have learned a lot from everyone here. It seems you and Southpaw are sold on the Clark and the weathershield's ability to assist with heat retention. I am thinking this is the way to go. As I said before, the AT has fog and wind that will rob heat that a TQ or UQ might not be able to replace. So, the Clark it will be.

Presently, I have a hammock system that I dirt bagged by piecing some things together.

full_1.jpg.

Unfortunately, it will not do for the winter months and in the summer rains, I do not like that the bugnet hangs to the ground and will get wet in the rain. That was the whole reason for exploring the hammock in the first place - Rain.

I figured that setting up in the rain would be much easier in a hammock than a tent. You get to your site, set up your fly first and then set up the hammock under the fly to keep things dry. And you do this without having to get down on the ground that may have standing water on it while trying to set up a tent. The only thing you have to worry about drying the next day is a damp fly. I am still trying to figure out how to keep the pack dry during this rain set up exercise (looking at a tree strap hanging system that will keep the bag off the ground during my hammock set up?).

This is also the reason for wanting to try the insulated ground pad INSIDE the hammock instead of hanging a down quilt on the outside for warmth. I am going to guess that several folks have had a wet down UQ after a major blowing rain event. If I have the pad inside and the bottom of my hammock does get wet from a blowing event...the pad will separate me from the wet hammock somewhat and then I do not have to worry about drying a UQ. I figure the hammock will dry a lot faster than wet feathers.

Thanks for all the help gang.

Hammock
    Clark nx250
    Suspension
    SlapStrap & Whoopi
    Even not hanging the fly first, i caput up the Clark about 60 seconds. If you pack it correctly with your straps or suspension at the ends, it is super fast and easy. It actually harder for me to set up the fly than the hammock usually.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fullcount View Post

This is also the reason for wanting to try the insulated ground pad INSIDE the hammock instead of hanging a down quilt on the outside for warmth. I am going to guess that several folks have had a wet down UQ after a major blowing rain event. If I have the pad inside and the bottom of my hammock does get wet from a blowing event...the pad will separate me from the wet hammock somewhat and then I do not have to worry about drying a UQ. I figure the hammock will dry a lot faster than wet feathers.

Thanks for all the help gang.
    I can't comment on Clark products, as I've never had the pleasure of using one. But I have used a BMBH quite a bit. One thing I can say about it: when it comes to working well with a pad, for me it is easily the winner in the world of hammocks. A nice flat pad is inserted into a nice flat hammock's pad pocket, under the hammock. Always works very well. It helps not to have a pad laying across the center of a hammock when on the diagonal.

Hammock
    BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    BillyBob,

Have you experienced the shoulder squeeze when you inserted your pad into the BMBH? Also, how has the warmth factor been? I would guess that you do not feel the squeeze, but just want to verify your experiences. If the pad keeps the backside warm, do you feel a difference up near the tops of your arms where there is no pad? Also...in the summer months, do you get any breeze down in the cavern? I could see where the Clark would give you some breeze since you are higher up. But maybe dead air space in the BMBH down in the hole.

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    3 days “In-school”
    Images
    A foam pad, did nothing for me to stop squeeze, but I never tried an inflatable one. Pads are one of the reasons I like hammock camping. Pads make my back sweaty, so It's all quilts for me. Also, the Clark isn't any higher off the ground than a bridge or vice versa. And because it has a weather shield on most models, it's more like being inside a tent. To me the Clark is the superior hammock without question hands down. Another factor you have to worry about in a bridge is stabbing your tarp with a spreader bar when you get in and out of the bridge. It lays flat, and the incubator and Mt. Washington quilts fit it like a glove, but that's where the good ends as far as i'm concerned. If someone gave me a bridge, I would still have to buy a hammock.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Equinox 10 X 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season UQ
    I have used a Clark North American as my dedicated winter hammock for several years now. I know the weather shield adds at least 10 degrees warmth. One thing that I have noticed is that if I leave the bug net on it eliminates condensation forming on the weather shield. Maybe it adds just enough barrier to form an isolation pocket between it and the shield to allow the moisture to escape before it condenses? It seems crazy to leave the bug net on when it is below freezing but it works!
    "Sometimes only nature felt real, while all human monuments and actions seemed to be the settings and the plots of dreams"

"So many people live in the past or the future and betray the present."

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    . . . One thing that I have noticed is that if I leave the bug net on it eliminates condensation forming on the weather shield. Maybe it adds just enough barrier to form an isolation pocket between it and the shield to allow the moisture to escape before it condenses? It seems crazy to leave the bug net on when it is below freezing but it works!
    I have been considering insulating the top, head to foot.

Thinking that condensation could be eliminated.
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fullcount View Post
    BillyBob,

Have you experienced the shoulder squeeze when you inserted your pad into the BMBH? Also, how has the warmth factor been? I would guess that you do not feel the squeeze, but just want to verify your experiences. If the pad keeps the backside warm, do you feel a difference up near the tops of your arms where there is no pad? Also...in the summer months, do you get any breeze down in the cavern? I could see where the Clark would give you some breeze since you are higher up. But maybe dead air space in the BMBH down in the hole.
    When I use my 25" wide TR inflatable, there is no shoulder squeeze at all. I don't really consider it squeeze with no pad. ( more like "rounded shoulders" long story) But there is def lots more shoulder room when I use that pad.

Arms are OK, but coverage is better with my UQ. There is about as much "breeze" as with my other hammocks.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Have a hammock, sleep in a shelter????????? My brain is hurting. I can see cooking, socializing in/at/near the shelter, getting water, etc.; even having the hammock 10 yards away, but sleeping in a shelter when a perfectly good hammock is in the pack???
    OK so it gets colder than you thought--thats why you have the pad. OK, dont take this the wrong way, I know HYOH.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12