Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    You all are amazing! I'm going to keep a note pad by my computer so I can write stuff down. Information overload, trying to absorb it all too quickly!

So here's a question, brought up because of skeeters not biting through a double bottom. Are the two layers in contact with each other making it too tough or thick to bite through, or is the lower one sagging a bit making the distance too far to bite through? I'm trying to envision how it frustrates the little bloodsuckers, and how it might compress insulation. I gave serious thought to buying a $39 Expedition without bug net and see about cobbling it up as a second bottom for the Explorer, but think I'll just buy some fabric and do it myself.

Hangtillidie has made their own, and I'm seriously going to try doing the same but will start with a tarp or two just to tune up the old sewing machine and get some technique down. I have a lot to learn before starting down that path.

hang10 mentions a heavy duty space blanket at Dicks (there's one not far from me) so I'll check that out tomorrow. Sounds like a vapor barrier, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing to have so close. I have yet to read the vapor barrier thread, lots there to absorb (pun not really intended). HH has mylarized bubble wrap double layered and stitched together with bias tape in the shape of the outline of a mummy bag. That sounds simple enough to DIY.

BackpackingZombie, I have Friday - Sunday off (except a client Friday at 1 for about an hour). I would love to see the WBBB 1.1 DL. I can bring the Hennessy's I have if you're interested in comparison. Beach at the north end of Calhoun or Isles perhaps? I live out beyond Wayzata in Long Lake, but don't mind driving.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12