Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    yes. I got some material listed as 1.9 oz ripstop. It probably started life at 1.9 oz, but had a coating applied that was much heavier than DWR, weighs in at something like 4 oz / yd.

I think it's kinda of like shopping the dollar bin at Walmart, with a blind-fold on

Grizz
    It sounds like you'd have a better idea of what you were getting at Walmart with the blindfold. Heavy fabric seems to be plentiful, it's the lightweight stuff that's hard to find for a decent price.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 silnylon
    Insulation
    CCF, Exped Synmat
    Suspension
    Buckles/carabiners
    Yes, Quest rocks!

I called right before closing time, and they still cheerfully volunteered to take the time to see if they had everything in my order in stock. I didn't expect this at all, and it's clear they know the importance of excellent customer service.

Quest Outfitters - Outdoor Fabrics

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Nylon Ripstop: Coated (Not FAA approved for hot air balloons)
    Silicone Coated is the 1.1 oz. listed below. Use the McNett Sil Net:Silicon Seam Sealer to seal the seams.
    Also recommended 1/2" gross grain ribbon or 1/2" nylon webbing, and 3/32" draw cord for tie downs.
    Uses for all coated Ripstops: Fabric is excellent for tent fly's, stuff sacks, etc. and all applications where a lightweight tear resistant, waterproof fabric is needed. Listed weight is before the coating.
    RIPC+color 60" 1.9 oz 70 denier 3/4-1oz coating Woodland Camo 5.30 4.14

In the above notes from the Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics Inc, page:

1. Is this the famous ‘sil-nylon’ that is so popular for tarps? I’ve often read that sil-nylon is not available in camo.
    2. Is this something else?
    3. If it’s not the popular sil-nylon, what is the difference?

Thanks,

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    Nylon Ripstop: Coated (Not FAA approved for hot air balloons)
    Silicone Coated is the 1.1 oz. listed below. Use the McNett Sil Net:Silicon Seam Sealer to seal the seams.
    Also recommended 1/2" gross grain ribbon or 1/2" nylon webbing, and 3/32" draw cord for tie downs.
    Uses for all coated Ripstops: Fabric is excellent for tent fly's, stuff sacks, etc. and all applications where a lightweight tear resistant, waterproof fabric is needed. Listed weight is before the coating.
    RIPC+color 60" 1.9 oz 70 denier 3/4-1oz coating Woodland Camo 5.30 4.14

In the above notes from the Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics Inc, page:

1. Is this the famous ‘sil-nylon’ that is so popular for tarps? I’ve often read that sil-nylon is not available in camo.
    2. Is this something else?
    3. If it’s not the popular sil-nylon, what is the difference?

Thanks,

I know that web page well....

There are a variety of coated nylon fabrics lists in different sections
    below that statement. The rows referring to 1.1 oz coated nylon are the silnylon. Other rows cite other weights and these are not silnylon.

The camo that is available is 1.9 oz with a coating that makes it heavier. This is not silnylon, the coating is probably pvc, and adds on the order of 1 oz per square yard to the weight.

Grizz

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I know that web page well....

There are a variety of coated nylon fabrics lists in different sections
    below that statement. The rows referring to 1.1 oz coated nylon are the silnylon. Other rows cite other weights and these are not silnylon.

The camo that is available is 1.9 oz with a coating that makes it heavier. This is not silnylon, the coating is probably pvc, and adds on the order of 1 oz per square yard to the weight.

Grizz
    So this would be a quality tarp material, just not quite as light as silnylon. More like the SG ‘Neo’ tarp, correct? I have two of the Neo tarps, and wouldn’t mind trying my hand at making some other ones.

What would be the lightest material that would be tough enough to make a pack out of? I have a pack frame with no pack. It would be used to haul a small hunting camp about a mile up hill from our parking spot, and also used to pack out meat should any elk be careless enough to let me within bow range. My first sewing lesson is set for this Wednesday, and I’ll of course be starting with easy stuff. I’ll later take a crack at things like tarps and packs. Any tips welcome.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20

I would say for the bare beginner, that heavier is better for a pack body fabric. More forgiving of mistakes, more tolerant of errant stitches that may pay a really lightweight fabric apart after repetitive stresses from hiking. With that in mind, for a pack, I think that a good 1.9oz ripstop or 200D oxford would be great for some beginning projects. The oxford will be heavier, but it can take quite a bit of abuse while still staying relatively lightweight.

Start out with some stuff sacks, maybe even a big stuff sack that you can mount to your frame with some webbing loops or whatnot. I think that the extra weight in the fabric is worth it over the complexity of proper reinforcement for attachment to a pack frame, especially for someone starting out. Good luck!

Brian
    OES

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Hey Brian,
    I have a DIY idea that I would like to try on my MacCat Deluxe. I'm thinking of adding an aluminum arched pole to the MacCat to provide more room for my hammock. I would like to add triangle patches to the MacCat at the middle on both sides with pole pockets. Do you think it would work? Can I get some of the material you use for the tieout patches from you?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    I think that it may be a great idea. The pole pockets wouldn't need to be very strong themselves, just as long as they don't pull out of the tarp. I only worry about too much strain on the pole in really heavy winds, and that putting some unusual (but not excessive) stresses on the tarp.

Shoot me a PM and we can talk about getting you some fabric. I leave for a 6 week trip to Europe on Thursday, but I can get it out to you before then no problem.

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    BA Yampa, Exped 7s
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I've seen a pic of a standard HH tarp that had a pole setup like that. I think it spread both the tarp & the pull-outs for the hammock.
    To Boldly Hang Where No One Has Hung Before...

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Dutch put a pole on his DIY BlackCat tarp. Pictures in his gallery I'm sure. I put a pole on the edge of a rectangular tarp. Pictures in my gallery I'm certain!

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast