WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    That's a cool idea! I wonder how light you could make this idea if you DIY. Make the "underhammock" out of 1.1 ripstop, use ultra-lite line for the suspension, use a down quilt... . It's almost a sewing-impaired person's insulated hammock! hmmm.....I'm thinking on it!
    How about just making a double layer (gathered and lashed ends) and not sewing the layers together? 1.9 upper layer and 1.1 lower layer.

The bottom layer could be made a few inches longer or just rely on "pulling the ends" of the upper layer prior to lashing to shorten it. It would take some experimenting to get it right. It still may compress the insulation too much toward the ends.

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cfi on the fly View Post
    I've been wondering if anyone has done this also. I've used my exped ul 7 in my double layer hammock and it was very warm and very comfortable when it stayed in place. I also have a JRB UQ but would just as soon use the exped for the weight and more importantly volume reduction while packed. Im not interested in sewing sleeves into m hammock and have it not work and then not be able to sell my hammock when the time comes. Somebody else be the guinea pig!
    I am thinking about just putting short sticky backed velcro strips on the Exped mat and on the bottom of my WBBB to hold the mat in place at a nice diagonal lay. That way you could just pull them off if it didn't work. I love the warmth and comfort of that mat when I can keep it in place.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Stock HH
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    How about just making a double layer (gathered and lashed ends) and not sewing the layers together? 1.9 upper layer and 1.1 lower layer.

The bottom layer could be made a few inches longer or just rely on "pulling the ends" of the upper layer prior to lashing to shorten it. It would take some experimenting to get it right. It still may compress the insulation too much toward the ends.
    Hmmmmmmm

The DIY I made in October was a 1.1 under and 1.7 inner but I sewed the layers together except for the pad access areas. I have material enough for a second DIY and your proposal sounds interesting. I'd have to whip the ends (did a channel on DIY #1) but that should be doable. Now to find the time...

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    But you would still have the same problem of the pad shifting around between the layers. I tried putting my pad in between the double layers of a WBBB I used to have and it moved all over the place.

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp (3x3) mtr
    Insulation
    Sungpak UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Original & Kribs
    I have a DD Travel Hammock in the past I have used some of that non slip matting in between the layers and placed a blanket on that,

Its hit and miss though some times its great and others it moves its self into a ball

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345