Hammock
    BB Warbonnet / DIY Bridge

Joined AirCore's in a 1.1 Double Layer WBBB

New member here and first post so if somebody has already covered this, I apologize. Just got in my new WBBB and getting off the ground from here on out. Need some insulation on a trip this weekend and came up with this solution. Need some feedback on how well this might work this weekend.

So, I have a Big Agnes Air Core and and a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core. Just putting one Aircore in the pocket and trying to keep it in under you is a pain. So I joined both of them together with 4 velcro strips and they fit perfectly in the pocket of the WBBB. Combined it's like 1 big pad and they do not separate when you move around in the hammock. Regular airCore is laid down first goes into the foot box. It lays laterally down the right side of the hammock next to the shelf. It creates a big side wall. The insulated aircore goes in second and all I do is line up the velcro strips to attach them. The insulated AirCore lays directly under me since it has more insulation. It is a very comfortable fit and covers around my entire body. Like I said the adjoined pads make one big pad and it actually spaces out the hammock more. to pack, I just roll one up inside the other and lash them to the bag. Pics attached if anyone is interested.

I won't be able to test drive this before the weekend. Anybody know how comfortable I will be in the upper 30's using a 20 degree bag with this setup? Feedback appreciated. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    *20 Phoenix
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I will be interested to hear your report. I am thinking about a similar set up but need Christmas to come so I can get my WBBB!

Hammock
    Hey Big A,

First of all I have to say the setup worked great. The Velcro pads did their job and kept the two pads together. Very comfortable in the hammock except...I froze my tail off. Didn't have a temp gauge with me, but the local forecast was 31° as the low. My back was awefully chilly. I was finally able to get comfortable by blowing up both aircores and laying one on top of the other to get the bottom insulation I needed. I also wrapped an emergency blanket around them to get a little extra warmth. I had a 20° REI bag and lots of layers for the top insulation, but it was so old bag and I am not sure what its rating is now. Trying to stay on two piggy backed aircores in a hammock is like walking a tight rope.I had to reposition throughout the night a couple of times. For me, I wouldn't take the orignal setup under 40°. I guess I am giving in to an underquilt now and going to get back out there.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    BA's are marginal on the ground for cold weather. Up in the air, not so much. You'll be amazed at the difference with a UQ.

Hammock
    Just ordered 20 degree quilt 40 x 52 inch quilt. I am sure it will be much better.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    That quilt will do you just fine! Congrats on the purchase.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

• + New Posts