Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing

Wolf River Trail - First Video

I've got a backpacking trip coming up in 2 weeks, and had never filmed anything with my camera. This was somewhat intended to be a shake down trip to see how the filming work and also what would have to be done to put into a video. It's along the Wolf River near where I live. These are great trails - I did an 8 mile loop on this particular day. I'd hoped to share more with you, but actually ran out of recording room near the end of the first half of the trip (larger SD card should be here tomorrow ).

While it doesn't have a picture or shots of my hammock (WBB - it's great!), know that it was on my mind during this hike. Looking forward to taking it out weekend after next and hopefully will have better video of a real trip.

Any comments, tips, tricks, recommendations are most welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te7c9NxCgFk

Thanks,

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ya did a great job on your first video.
    You have a good camera presence, speak clearly and share some useful information.

Trying out different camera angles can be fun. The stick pic works awesome, but can be overused I think. I use the Ultrapod and love it. You can wrap it around the handle of your trekking pole and use it as a tripod by sticking it in the ground.

Taking video of yourself walking towards or away from the camera gives the illusion that the story is moving forward too.

The best thing to do is to just keep making videos and feel out what works for you. The most important thing is that you are out there to enjoy the woods. Taking video is a cool way to make a visual journal of your adventures. Good luck dude!

Fronkey
    Last edited by Fronkey; 11-02-2011 at 09:22.

Hammock
    WBBB, GT UL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    3S Yeti, HG Inncub
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nice video. We will be taking Scouts there shortly for one of the hikes for Hiking Merit Badge. Just went backpacking this past weekend with our Troop at Mousetail Landing State Park. Looking forward to your trip report in two weeks.

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    Thanks for the video. Trail time is always time well spent.
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Images
    Great video / trip report. Just think how fun it will be for you to watch this video years from now. High quality, small video cameras are one piece of new technology that I'm really lovin'!

Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Ya did a great job on your first video.
    You have a good camera presence, speak clearly and share some useful information.

Trying out different camera angles can be fun. The stick pic works awesome, but can be overused I think. I use the Ultrapod and love it. You can wrap it around the handle of your trekking pole and use it as a tripod by sticking it in the ground.

Taking video of yourself walking towards or away from the camera gives the illusion that the story is moving forward too.

The best thing to do is to just keep making videos and feel out what works for you. The most important thing is that you are out there to enjoy the woods. Taking video is a cool way to make a visual journal of your adventures. Good luck dude!

Fronkey
    Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate them. I do have a gorilla pod for the camera, but haven't used it yet. I'll definitely be taking it with me on the next trip. By the way, I really enjoy your videos. Thanks for sharing them also.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    Nice video. We will be taking Scouts there shortly for one of the hikes for Hiking Merit Badge. Just went backpacking this past weekend with our Troop at Mousetail Landing State Park. Looking forward to your trip report in two weeks.
    I've heard of MouseTail Landing, but haven't been there. Will have to give it a try. We're heading to Big Hill Pond weekend after next. Can't wait. Will be my first campout since early August.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhpy View Post
    Thanks for the video. Trail time is always time well spent.
    I couldn't agree more. Only wish there was more time to do it. Maybe one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Great video / trip report. Just think how fun it will be for you to watch this video years from now. High quality, small video cameras are one piece of new technology that I'm really lovin'!

Thanks for sharing!
    I've actually had the camera for a couple of years, but had never really shot video with it. I was very pleasantly surprised with how well it did record. Now if I can just bring the subject matter up to the quality of the recording.

Thanks all for watching.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Big Hill Pond out near Pocahontas is a great place! I used to live in Moscow, TN, and would go to BHP at least 2 weekends a month in the cold months. Lots of great hiking there once you learn the trails. Be sure to get a map; the trail signage is almost nonexistent. My favorite camping spot was the Tuscumbia shelter area. You could park close to it for a quick camping trip, or you could make it a 10 mile hike in if you had the time. Have fun out there!

EDIT: I have nearly all the BHP trails mapped out with track logs in my GPS files, so if you want them, let me know.
    Last edited by tdi_tech; 11-05-2011 at 20:56.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by tdi_tech View Post
    Big Hill Pond out near Pocahontas is a great place! I used to live in Moscow, TN, and would go to BHP at least 2 weekends a month in the cold months. Lots of great hiking there once you learn the trails. Be sure to get a map; the trail signage is almost nonexistent. My favorite camping spot was the Tuscumbia shelter area. You could park close to it for a quick camping trip, or you could make it a 10 mile hike in if you had the time. Have fun out there!

EDIT: I have nearly all the BHP trails mapped out with track logs in my GPS files, so if you want them, let me know.
    Thanks. The only other time I was there, we stayed at the Grassy Point Shelter, but I think we hiked over to Tuscumbia when we hiked over to the tower. I really enjoyed it, and I hope to get over there more often.

Thanks for the GPS info also. I would like to get that from you if it's not too much of a problem. I don't have one yet, but am hoping to get one soon. How's the best way to do that?

• + New Posts