DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst

How to make add on Tarp Doors?

Does anyone have a link, or know how to inexpensively make add-on tarp doors for an existing tarp? I have the Eno Funky Tarp; but what tarp I have shouldn't really matter if someone can direct me on how to go about the measurements and such. Also, what would be an inexpensive material to use until we can upgrade. Would water resistant polyester work? I suppose vinyl shower curtains would crack and be too brittle in cold temps? See where I'm heading here? Affordable, yet providing weather protection is a biggie....and keeping it light weight would be a much need added bonus
    Thanks Gang!

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=11785

As for the inexpensive part, maybe use a thick plastic painters groundcloth and duct tape for reinforcement? Even a heavy plastic garbage bag for material - easy to make replacements if something got pierced, punctured or cut. Or if thats a bit low brow, just DWR nylon.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    How about tyvek? If nothing else its cheap.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    http://owfinc.com/Fabrics/NylonWoven...stop:%20Coated

check the seconds. if you are going to do the work you might as well spend a few dollars more and get something nice.

Hammock
    ENO DN/Brazilian
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    DivaB I just made this mod to my ENO Profly. It worked pretty well, and was pretty easy. I am by no means an expert pattern maker, so I am sure that you can improve on what I did.

I used the most inexpensive fabric that I could find--I think $2.20 a yard including shipping. I would not have bothered with this mod if I had the $$ to spend on the tarp I really want.

I am not familiar with the ENO Funky tarp...If it has a straight edge, it will be easier, but a cat cut is not too much of a problem either.

I am a visual person, so verbal instructions are difficult for me, but I will give it a shot.

First I traced the cat cut onto my fabric with chalk so that I knew it would match when I was finished.

Then, at the bottom edge, I measured how wide I wanted my door to be (my tarp is not with me, but I could measure it later tonight--what I did was set the tarp up and then measure to the middle and add a few extra inches to be sure, and then looked at the GrizzBeak measurements to make sure numbers were similar so I had an idea that I was in the right ballpark) and drew a straight line.

Next, I drew a straight line from the top of the cat cut to the end of the bottom edge line.

So I ended up with a triangle shape, but with a cat cut on one long side. You have to make four of these pieces total.

Then I just added tie outs and reinforcements at the one inside corner on each door(the point where the two straight lines meet), hemmed it all the way 'round and pinned and sewed it onto my tarp.

Tips:

For those long straight lines, I pinned down string at each end to help get it right. Sort of like a chalk line used in construction.

Doing a rolled hem on a curve is a huge PITA. Use grosgrain along the edge instead. I did not have the extra $, but in hindsight I would have sold the shoes off of my feet to get it.

When you pin the door to the tarp, add a way to tie them back. I just added a piece of grosgrain so I could tie them, but you could get fancy and add a loop and a toggle or something.

Hope this helps!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I am working on a set of doors in between making hammocks. I have finished one and cut out the other. I used this pattern
    I am using 1.1 DWR ripstop. Got the stuff from Walmart years ago. All it is really costing me is the grosgrain ribbon trim. Good luck with your doors.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    I am working on a set of doors in between making hammocks. I have finished one and cut out the other. I used this pattern
    I am using 1.1 DWR ripstop. Got the stuff from Walmart years ago. All it is really costing me is the grosgrain ribbon trim. Good luck with your doors.

I would love to see a pic of these when your done, or even of the one you have finished. I've just jumped into the DIY and the tarp doors looks like a good place to start. I have the MacCat tarp as well.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
    I would love to see a pic of these when your done, or even of the one you have finished. I've just jumped into the DIY and the tarp doors looks like a good place to start. I have the MacCat tarp as well.
    No problem, well small problem. I sent my MacCat standard back as a trade in for an Ultra. As soon as I get the ultra I will do a video of ya. If I finish before then I will do it on my DIY Yellowcat tarp.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Thanks for all the ideas and help. I have a heck of an angle on my tarp, but I think it is still very doable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Our Walmart got rid of the material section a couple of years ago, but are slowing bringing it back thanks to the out cries of customers. I just wish they'd get it done and opened!!

Actually just laying the material across the tarp while it is up, I could chalk line my angles at that point couldn't I? (The visualizing it as a chalk line got me thinking, why not actually use a chalk line.)

You've all got great suggestions, and ideas. I love this place!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast