Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    After examining the monsoon/typhoon a bit longer I realized that this style won't quite work with my tarp as my tarp ridge line is on the outside. I'm going to combine this doors theory with the other door that over laps the edges of the tarp. I've decided I don't want to use velcro, and also prefer the ability to open in the middle of the door and criss cross over like the Grizz's does. I know I can just move my tarp ridge line to under my tarp, but with the way the attachment points are, it is probably better to leave it alone.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Sewed Doors or GrizBeak

Here is what I see are the pros of sewed on doors.

1. Less material, saving a few ozs
    2. Very little fiddle factor - (The times when I would use them, time is key.
    3. There if you need them, and rolled up if not needed.
    4. I like the look better
    5. Nothing here, but I like 5 Pro's just in case there are 4 Con's, which could cause me to change my mind.

I'll, or anyone can join in what they think would be more for the pro's and a list of the con's.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Nikwax?? I'm going to have to look that up. Like what you use on boots?
    Its the same company. The product is Nikwax TX direct and its a 'wash in waterproofer'. Its good stuff, but there'll be a few equivalents on your side of the pond too.

Spray on waterproofing or even DIY silnylon would sort it too.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
    Here is what I see are the pros of sewed on doors.

1. Less material, saving a few ozs
    2. Very little fiddle factor - (The times when I would use them, time is key.
    3. There if you need them, and rolled up if not needed.
    4. I like the look better
    5. Nothing here, but I like 5 Pro's just in case there are 4 Con's, which could cause me to change my mind.

I'll, or anyone can join in what they think would be more for the pro's and a list of the con's.
    just some pro's for detachable doors in response, not that i don't agree with what your saying also

i diy'd the doors for my warbonnet bmj

1. my diy's added 1oz vs. the weight of the superfly with sewn on doors (6.5oz for my doors) but i can leave them behind and save all that weight when i want to, can't do that with sewn on doors

2. fiddle factor is abou thte same, i keep them attached and works the same as built in doors

3. same

4. different color than the tarp, got a cool 2 tone thing going on

5. i did it myself

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Not that I'm disagreeing with anyones pros/cons...just listing my personal feelings. This is why I would rather have detachable doors.

1. I love, love, love my view with my tarp; if I don't need my doors, I don't have to fiddle with trying to roll them up properly.

2. If I want to go porch mode or change how I hang my tarp, I won't be able to do if doors are sewed on. It would really limit my options.

3. I don't want different tarps for different seasons (to expensive) so if the weather is questionable, I take my doors, if the weather is nice, I leave them at home.

4. The weight would be less

5. Perhaps I don't need on both ends, and only need on one end.

6. It mostly boils down to having options for me. Options is a biggie. One night I may have my tarp pulled closer in, the next night I may pull it further out. With my tarp only having 2 stake out points (one on each side), it's so easy to change when ever I want to, depending on the weather....or my mood.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    just some pro's for detachable doors in response, not that i don't agree with what your saying also

i diy'd the doors for my warbonnet bmj

1. my diy's added 1oz vs. the weight of the superfly with sewn on doors (6.5oz for my doors) but i can leave them behind and save all that weight when i want to, can't do that with sewn on doors

2. fiddle factor is abou thte same, i keep them attached and works the same as built in doors

3. same

4. different color than the tarp, got a cool 2 tone thing going on

5. i did it myself

boot
    I might do detachable doors 1st as I'm going to use them for sure on my small HH tarp and use them with the MacCat as well.

My thinking is if I don't need to bring detachable doors, then I might as well just bring my HH small tarp and save almost 16ozs. I used the small HH tarp for over a year on the AT in some pretty heavy rains & wind.

Of course, now there's another thing to think about. So many ways to hang a tarp & the only thing which is a fact is the weather will never cooperate & is always subject to change.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Doors on one side couldn't hurt Diva. Detatchable or not (your choice of course) they will give you better protection. Also as rain only blows one way you should only need doors on one side. Then again there is that pesky way wind changes direction. Well you can't account for every thing the weather will do. I say get after it. What will it hurt, just leave the doors home if you don't like them or don't like the way they turned out.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    I think weight difference between attached/ removable doors would be almost negligible (ok, for the gram weenies detachable would weigh more but honestly I believe the difference would be in grams if just hemming the edges w/o using grosgrain).

Either way, if you're deploying the doors your view will be compromised - attached or not.

Biggest reason I would go for a removable door is: at some point I'd inevitably want to change something about the design. If the door/s were attached it would be a lot of work to remove them.

I always carry a rain poncho that serves as a wind/rain block when needed but at some point I'll be compelled to build a door just for fun or winter camping (Brrrrrrrr).
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    I was looking at the Bigmamajamba removable doors. 2ozs each = 8ozs. Not that bad to turn my MacCat into a full winter tarp. Now, I'll just have to figure out how to cut them if I go that route.

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    And the Grizzbeaks over at 2qZq state less than 6oz per end - so pretty similar. By DIY and just hemming the edges and not using d-rings one could probably trim another couple of oz or thereabout.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast