DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Divab

pm sent

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    I am working on a set of doors in between making hammocks. I have finished one and cut out the other. I used this pattern
    I am using 1.1 DWR ripstop. Got the stuff from Walmart years ago. All it is really costing me is the grosgrain ribbon trim. Good luck with your doors.
    Isn't the DWR going to wet out?
    I have a set of Grizzbeaks, but they are silnylon seconds.

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    I made one door for my OES standard that I put on the windy side and it really helps with this small tarp. It's large enough that it will almost close the whole end when It's pitched tight. There are a few pictures of it in action in my album if you want see. It looks just like jazilla's drawing. I also made a grizzbeak clone but find it harder to use.
    Last edited by myles to go; 11-03-2011 at 07:51.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Sewing them Together

Getting the outline curve seems pretty easy to just lay it out and place the RS over it and trace it with chalk. I'm going to get an old bed sheet and do a mock up 1st to see how it fits and looks.

When you have your addon door ready, do you just lay it over the trim of the end and sew it together? Or is there something special which I might be missing.

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    I really like the simplicity of the single piece doors! Nice work Jazilla and Myles to go.

OneThing - The doors as shown look to be removable, they are not permanently attached (although nothing to stop you if you wanted to go that route). Clip the top and side to the RL and either clip/stake the corners and you're done.

From miles album:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...pictureid=8356
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...pictureid=8355
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Thanks for all the ideas and help. I have a heck of an angle on my tarp, but I think it is still very doable.
    IF that is what you have I wonder if you would be better off just making a big rectangular tarp out of plastic or tyvek. With a hex tarp you have some flat on the sides to start with. With the diamond you will need to do more than just close in the ends. Going to be noisy but I would look at a blue plastic rectangle tarp where you can fold in the ends. Might be the cheapest and easiest way out.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Isn't the DWR going to wet out?
    I have a set of Grizzbeaks, but they are silnylon seconds.
    The tarp door is used to keep mostly wind and wind blown rain out. The tarp should get the full brunt of whatever weather is thrown at me. Plus if the doors do get wet they are at the ends of the tarp and won't wet you or the hammock. Also they are pitched down so any water will flow right off of them.

Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Thanks for all the ideas and help. I have a heck of an angle on my tarp, but I think it is still very doable.
    DivaB, if I where making doors for that tarp I would make a pattern first and here is how you do that. Set up the tarp. Get some string or masons line. run a length of string from the ridge tie out to the point on the ground you want your door to stop. Run another length from there to your tie out point then back to the ridge tie out. Now measure it all and you have the basic shape of your door. Add seam allowance or use grosgrain. Don't forget to add a bit along the tarp so the pull out there covers the gap. Let me know if this is hard to understand and I will do a visual.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    Quote Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
    When you have your addon door ready, do you just lay it over the trim of the end and sew it together? Or is there something special which I might be missing.
    If I'm reading this right you are talking about sewing the door straight to the tarp? If you make your door/doors removable you can choose were to put them or not to use them at all. I always carry my one door in my tarp bag and if the wind is blowing I clip it on the corner that faces the wind. I use #0 S beeners on the upper and lower D rings and a length of shock cord going to the opposite end to close the gap and the stake out corner has a length of shock cord attached. This gets used as my 3 season tarp and when more protection is needed I will need to buy a tarp with doors attached. The removable door is only 3oz but if I made 3 more It wouldn't be worth it.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by myles to go View Post
    If I'm reading this right you are talking about sewing the door straight to the tarp? If you make your door/doors removable you can choose were to put them or not to use them at all. I always carry my one door in my tarp bag and if the wind is blowing I clip it on the corner that faces the wind. I use #0 S beeners on the upper and lower D rings and a length of shock cord going to the opposite end to close the gap and the stake out corner has a length of shock cord attached. This gets used as my 3 season tarp and when more protection is needed I will need to buy a tarp with doors attached. The removable door is only 3oz but if I made 3 more It wouldn't be worth it.
    I was looking to turn it into a 4 season with doors at both ends. I'm going to make a removable one as well to bring when I use the small tarp which came with my Hennessy Hammock. 3 ozs is worth it for the small tarp when one of those hard summer rains hits in the south.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    I really like the simplicity of the single piece doors! Nice work Jazilla and Myles to go.

OneThing - The doors as shown look to be removable, they are not permanently attached (although nothing to stop you if you wanted to go that route). Clip the top and side to the RL and either clip/stake the corners and you're done.

From miles album:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...pictureid=8356
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...pictureid=8355
    I was going to have 2QZQ add the doors for me for a long distant hike I was going to do in 2012. However, I had surgery two weeks ago, and have several more so it killed me doing much of anything. So, I just learned how to thread a needle on a sewing machine which belonged to my mother. I think the sewed on doors will be lighter and easier to deploy in the long run.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast