Thread: Trip Update

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HH HEX
    Insulation
    KAQ New River

Trip Update

Allright, I had quite a problem last weekend trying to find a good place to hang the night. The first problem was that one guy wanted somewhere new to go so we had to find a new place. I came across the Palmetto trail and a short section of it that I knew we could hike and be done fairly quickly, I had to be home early Saturday. The second problem is that here in the Upstate of S.C. last weekend they were calling for a lot, I mean a lot of rain. I was determined that even if the guys didn't want to go I was hanging in my hammock in the back yard. I had a HH expedition that I had not been out in (I had been in the yard but not on a hike), and anew super shelter system for it as well so I really wanted to give it a whirl in the weather. My first impressions on the trip were, I don't think anybody has been up the trail in a while, we actually lost the trail a little and had to refind it. We finally just found a spot to put our equipment up. I had the HH and the other two guys had their tents. We managed, thanks to a greasy potato chip to get a fire started and enjoyed it until the rains came. It rained off and on for most of the night until about 6-7 am. I am super impressed by the HH's ability to perform in this weather. I will admit I want the hex tarp but was satisfied with the standard tarp. It got down to about 39 degrees and I was toasty warm. The super shelter system worked great. I was dressed warm but I really wouldn't want to sleep in nothing but the underpants in that weather. I usually do not use my sleeping bag as a sleeping bag but like a top blanket and that always works great for me. I didn't have one time in the middle of the night or early morning that I was cold. It was actually very nice and warm and dry. So here are just a few pictures, like I said it was rainy so I didn't get to many.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    looks like a nice spot to hang. i like autumn colours!

Images
    I've never thought of using a greasy potato chip to start a fire. Interesting....

Despite the rain, it's good to get out. Actually, I sleep very well with the sound of rain on my tarp. That's when it's surely good to be up off the ground. Those tents look kinda sad.

Thanks for posting the pics!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    nice, glad you liked the Hennessy. ;-)

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Great set-up! One tent looks in need of a taut takeover. Did your hiking buddies get a blissful rest?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    BPWD 9x9 RECT
    Insulation
    20* Phoenix +DIYTQ
    Suspension
    WBBB Stock Straps
    Images

Slackness

Yeah I agree that green tent is looking pretty... slack probably not very good with the rain, did your buds keep dry OK?

I too have a Hennessy, and am both surprised and impressed by the diamond-fly shapes ability to keep rain out of and off of the hammock body itself. I just upgraded to a 9x10 sil fly, though, and am looking forward to using it soon.

I've heard that Fritos, and any of those really greasy chips are awesome firestarters; I've seen the Boy Scouts put them to use on more than one occasion .

-Sap

PS I also love the foliage!
    The perversity of the universe tends towards a maximum. -- O'Toole's Corollary of Finagle's Law

• + New Posts