TC jungle, HB triple L Owl, TTTM
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing

Don't forget the Tom Claytor hammocks!

Had my Tom Claytor mosquito hammock out yesterday to take some measurements to make new folding lightweight bug mesh spreader bars from aluminium arrow shafts.(Will put them on the DIY section and I get it done)
    I think the Claytor hammocks do not get all the praise they deserve other than being a bit heavy(but this goes with being very robust) The hammock & Tarp will cost you 150.00 delivered a great hammock at a good price for anyone where weight is not the absolute top priority.

I have been doing some upgrade since joining the forum, replaced the horrible original suspension with amsteel loops and whoopie slings I use trees traps and carabiners with whoopie slings. Claytor snakeskins I admit they are overpriced but fit extremely well and are less trouble to use than the Hennessy snakeskins on my other hammock also added bungee cord internal ridge line to support the mesh and give me more stay space hang things out of my way.

Added an eyelet to the original hammock bag can now stuff the hammock in its snakeskins into the bag without folding the hammock up.(Much quicker and it keeps things off the ground. Separated the original tarp into its own bag added snakeskins to it for fast deployment.(thanks Shug!) This has helped with the weight I only need to carry the Tarp when necessary. We get six months a year where it almost guaranteed not to rain! So it's pretty safe not to take your tarp during the cool weather in this part of the world.

I use 4m of 3 mm bungee cord with key carabiners on the end as my ridge line to support the bug mesh snap them into the biners on the tree straps this can be deployed in about 30 seconds and flexes with the hammock when you get into it very convenient set up.

Lying in my Claytor hammock yesterday reminded me of just how good it is! Forgiving in how you set it up very little shoulder squeeze almost no calf ridge or knee hyperextension from me in this hammock. Certainly is going to get plenty of use in the future if I can get my wife out of it is her fav particularly on my kayak trips where weight is not such a consideration.

A few shots of my set up attached feel free to ask me questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by I-NT; 10-30-2011 at 21:00. Reason: Spelling add pixs

Images
    I don't forget the Claytors! Recently chose, yet again, my Claytor No Net/PeaPod combo for my Sawtooth, ID trip. This is a great combo!

Hammock
    doublenest eno
    Tarp
    old fly
    Insulation
    1" foam/sp.blanket
    Suspension
    1/2" diy straps
    nice rig. i'm new here and i do forget about them. thanx for the reminder.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    I enjoy it is well suited to the hot weather here is cooler then my WBBB more air flow

Hammock
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    A man of many hammocks and words

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I also love my Claytor, and you gave me some great ideas, Thanks bunches.

My hammock collection is getting way out of hand. I have one for every situation. LOL...

Hammock
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    I also love my Claytor, and you gave me some great ideas, Thanks bunches.

My hammock collection is getting way out of hand. I have one for every situation. LOL...
    I'm going to do a more detailed review of my Claytor with photos. As you would well know the one biggest problems is that these hammocks are a little old-fashioned when supplied from the manufacturer.
    Too much Knott tying fiddling,folding the hammock and tarp up to pack it and so on.
    Most of my modifications are for smooth set up and packed down rather than just trying to get rid of weight. Making theTCJH much more user-friendly and satisfying as a sleep system.
    I'm almost finished modifying my TCH it is now fast set up beast
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Claytor, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    DIY OGEE,WL BD
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    What mods are you doing I-NT?
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
    Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I switched out the suspension on mine and put whoopies, but the arrow shaft idea for the spreader bars sounds good. I will have to check it out once you post it. Love the pics. I haven't used my Claytor in a while, so now I have to get it back out. LOL..

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle/Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    DD Tarp XL
    Insulation
    3/4 Thermarest
    Suspension
    Rings / Whoopies
    Images
    I've had a Claytor for a couple of years and it has been a superb piece of kit. I'm about to do a 2.5 week trek in Borneo, using a hammock, and having a bit of spare cash decided to do a comparison. I bought both a Clarke Tropical 2 and a Hennessy Deep jungle, thinking that due to their popularity they may pip the Claytor in comfort and functionality. WRONG ! The Clarke just did not suit me at all - hated the slim 'banana skin'feel about the hang, and I found it quite hot (I am in the Northern Territory in Australia - currently in the 'wet'humid season - and the airflow wasn't as good as I would have liked - probbaly due to the no-see-um close weave. It's been packed away.

The Hennessy Deep Jungle is super - lightweight, and a great comfortable hang. I strung them side by side on a very hot humid afternoon with an occasional breeze...and did several 30 minute stints in each to compare temperature and airflow. The Claytor was actually cooler, and with a slightly better airflow - being rectangular, as opposed to the hennessy triangular net design may have accounted for this. I will hang both again this weekend for a final test, but odds are the Claytor will be coming to the jungle.

My Claytor mods are aluminium arrow shaft spreader bars, whoopies and trunk protectors.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast