Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7

Question about backpacking with all those quilts...

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I have fun stuffing my top quilt, hammock, pad and gear in my pack which is a big one...GoLite Trek...I even bought the new Golite Ultra quilt because down packs smaller than synthetics which is what I now have (Golite Fur quilt)...how does everyone fit underquilts, overquilts and sleeping quilts in their backpacks with all the rest of their gear...it isn't the weight that I question...it's the bulk...hm-m-m-m....

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    My quilts are down so they will compress pretty small. Bulk is more of a winter issue for me, when I carry a under quilt and sleeping bag. That's one reason I made a thick top quil; to reduce bulk in pack winter setup.

The JRB UL quilts I carry for most of the year compress down pretty small, smaller than a sleeping bag in my old tent camping days.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    How feasible is it to roll up the hammock and quilt and for that matter the rest of the cold weather gear into one big bundle and snakeskin them? I realize a semi-rigid sleep pad would have to be toted by itself. What kind of changes would I need to make to the snakeskins. Maybe have summerskins and winter skins?
    Would it save any volume to have themm in one package?

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    Rev...before I sent them on to yogisan I tried stuffing the Clark NA into the size 4 Hennessy snakeskins...no way with or without the tarp...I may yet make something...another consideration...you don't always want your tarp wrapped up with your hammock...especially if it's been raining all night...

As for underquilts...unless it is above 80 I need padding underneath to stay warm so I'd have to always carry an underquilt...I can see a down underquilt and a down overquilt wouldn't be all that much different than a sleeping bag, I guess....when it's really HOT outside, I prefer a screen tent but that's another subject...

Images
    Well, one thing about the bulk associated with CCF pads. At least you can just roll it up and strap it to the outside of you pack and don't have to worry about it getting wet out there. I guess every thing is pros and cons.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    I pack my Exped pad flat against my back in my pack...I try not to have anything hanging outside my pack...

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I bought those big "turkey" bag liners when HF did the group buy. I line my modified MS Phantom backpack with it. Stuff my down No Sniv and WM Summerlite in first (without their individual stuff sacks). Then any clothes that I need to keep dry. Compress as much as I need it to or as much as possible and use a twist tie to close. Then I put cooking gear, food, hammock etc. on top of that. My big JRB tarp goes in big net pocket on outside. My Phantom is 3200cu in. in main bag.

If I'm only going for weekend in summer and it's warm, I only take a top quilt and then can use my ULA Conduit. But it's too small if I take both top and bottom quilt.

I'm still looking for perfect larger pack for 3-season camping to replace my modified Phantom.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    Okay, don't get mad at me here, but you've got the cart before the horse IMHO. You size the pack to your gear, not vice versa. If you can't fit your gear into your pack, you have the wrong pack.

I don't carry an underquilt, but I like to put my uncompressed sleeping bag in a heavy duty trash bag in the bottom of my pack and drop everything else on top of it. I have a pack (ULA Catalyst) large enough to let me do that. If I carry my BA insulated air-core pad, I deflate it but leave it in the sleeping bag's sleeve and put the whole mess into the trash bag. If I carry a CCF I strap it to the outside of the pack.
    Last edited by Hector; 05-01-2008 at 12:40.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    no body's mad.

I have a gearskin type pack I made. As such it is expandible to huge proportions. My pad serves as the frame.

When you have a hammock, a sleeping bag, a clothing bag and a food bag, you have high cube. I'm getting ready to hike in a few weeks. It's hard to pack. I'm trying my sleeping bag and hammock in one sack,

Getting all the stuff you need into one pack is an unspoken problem. No one talks about it.

All the talk about down is warmer yes or no, really begs the question. Down Packs small!!
    That's it's biggest asset IMHO.

Tom

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I use two packs, one for summer and one for winter.

The summer pack (3200 cu/in) holds all needed gear plus a 1/4" CCF pad and down top quilt, and it fits pretty neatly inside. I always seem to have enough room, even with 4-5 days of food.

The winter pack (3600 cu/in) carries the same items and adds a Speer Snugfit, more clothing, and a WeatherCover for the hammock. Depending on the amount of food/clothing, it typically isn't too overly 'crammed'.

One thing to note - I've abandoned snake skins. For me, they seem to be more cumbersome to pack, especially when they are tightly filled. I prefer to use seperate Bishop Bags for each the hammock and tarp, and stuff all other items into either silnylon stuff sacks or airtight drybags, depending. Also, my packs are both of the 'one single large compartment' variety. GG Meridian Vapor for summer, GG Vapor Trail for winter (they have the same suspension and dimensions, but the VT has a taller extension collar.)
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 05-01-2008 at 13:28.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast