ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    I take what I need.
    Use what I take.
    Never bothered to weight it all. In the Marine Corps, we all knew we had a lot, but nobody really wanted to know the exact weight.
    1. Most everybody bragged about how much they could carry, so to know the real weight would show how much they were lying.
    or
    2. If we thought it was X and we could hump it for a week, but found out it was X + Y = Z then the next week we might be intimidated by it.
    DKPerdue

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I will be 62 at the end of the year,,and packing about 30 for a 4 day trip,,with the wife packing 20 or so..naturally carrying a couple of more items I wouldn't be carrying but she wants along,,so pay the piper on that, and lighten her load as much as I can by carrying all the food and most of the water. Most of our gear is pretty light as I watch what we carry and constantly shaving the oz's off..This winter will pick up some more lighter gear and keep on downsizing till I am in the mid 20's,,good gear costs big bucks but worth the effort to go more miles with less weight packed.

Hammock
    WBBB, Traveler
    Tarp
    Camo MJ w/ doors
    Insulation
    Sniveler, Nest, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    I have the bad knee and some breathing problems today. So I've made modifications in the past couple of years to get out (more car camping less backpacking) but next year hopefully I will be able to continue with some trips I've put on the back burner. Anyway my pack weight was down to a max of 27 lbs for 3S with up to 3L of water and 5 days worth of food. I would like it down to 25 or less with 7 days of food. My big changes were switching out my first pack an Arcteryx for my current pack a ULA catalyst saved over 3 lbs there and my mind set of less is more. But that said I still always bring the cookies, apple and cheese type items however I eat them early. Worked for me.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images

The transition from bike camping to hiking...

...helped the process along for me. When bike camping, I carted (including repair kit for the bike) about thirty pounds, total, for a three-day, two-night trip. That included 2L of water and three meals (I mostly ate at restaurants on the road).

My first long-distance hike, I carried about forty pounds, for a planned four-day, three-night hike. That included 5L of water and full food for the entire time.

My last trip out (admittedly a combination bike/hike), I carried--including repair kit for the bike--about twenty-five pounds, total, for a two-day, two-night hike & bike. I ate two meals on the road, at either quick-e-marts or restaurants. However, I also carted an additional pound of food for everyone else that I thought would be there.

My secret? Cut down on extra crap carried "just in case". I had a lot of "just in case" items on my first hike and when I was bike camping. Nowadays, I've figured out better what I actually use and what I don't. So, my pack weight has dropped considerably.

Also, I've invested in lighter gear than I had used earlier. I went from a ~6 lb pup tent to a ~2.5 lb hammock, a ~4 lb tarp to a ~1.5 lb one, and ~4 lb sleeping bag to a ~3.5 lb top-and-bottom-quilt combo. I've cut my food weight as well, by going from prepped stuff to freeze-dried for meals (snacks stayed the same), shaving that by at least a third. I've also gone from carrying 5L of water to 3L (which is an enormous weight savings), since I have yet to hike anywhere where water sources are more than three hours apart.

My reasons for this are that I feel more comfortable when hiking with a lighter pack. This doesn't mean that I'm ultralight, by any means--my base pack weight probably hovers somewhere between fifteen and twenty pounds. But I'm 6' and my healthy body weight hovers around 185, which means that a thirty-pound load (about as heavy as I feel comfortable carrying) is about 16% of my body weight. Which is just about perfect for performance on my part.

All of the usual acronyms apply, however.
    Last edited by FLRider; 10-30-2011 at 18:30. Reason: Edit: three nights in Ocala, not four.

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    i pay more attention to my body weight than my pack base weight, but here they are:
    10-12lbs in summer
    15-17lbs in shoulder seasons
    20lbs in winter

(+ ~2lbs food/day + water + fuel + walking sticks)

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I'd be happy to break 20#, any season, and I own pretty decent gear. All insulation is high quality down, pretty light pack (REI Flash 65), techy clothing fabrics, etc.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234