ENO Single
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag & pad
    Suspension
    Straps/Line&knots

Arrow Overly Weight Conscious?

Reading through the threads on this forum I can't help but notice that most seem very weight conscious and continually try to shave ounces here and there.

Please give me an idea of how much your pack weighs for a 3 day trip. If you would give me a Winter and Spring carry weight.

Thanks,

d

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Water Monkey made a detailed series of vids about what's in his pack and the weight as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FQj63MA9WM

Also, Shug has a video for it as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quEoHrmz7fo

Fronkey

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    It's really preference. Someone 5'9 175 might think 35lbs is a lot, where someone 6'3 230 might think 35lbs is fairly light. Are you car camping, section hiking, thru hiking? Big differences. I think "generally" Ultralight backpacking base weight is sub 8lbs, lightweight backpacking is sub 12lbs, and average is above that (before food and water). Really it's what you are comfortable with. I know for myself (bad knees) I shave weight because it means I can hike longer and enjoy the outdoors more.

My current base weight is about 11-12 pounds right now.

Happy Hangin'
    Ben
    Pass the Apple Pie

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    17-20 with food and water.
    Winter... ask again in a month or so
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    ECFC made a really good point. I'm 5'4" tall and weigh now 150lbs (on a fat day). I used to carry about 40lbs for a 3 day event. However that constitutes about 27% of my weight and it really sapped the energy from me going up rough terrain here in NY.

I made a leap to ultralight hiking and for 3 season for 3 days I'm looking at almost 20lbs total pack weight. Winter would be close to 26lbs. I hike farther (now over 10 miles a day easy), faster (did 9 miles over 3 mountains in 4.5 hours) and I have sooooo much more fun because I barely notice the pack on me.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastFeastCoast View Post
    It's really preference. Someone 5'9 175 might think 35lbs is a lot, where someone 6'3 230 might think 35lbs is fairly light. Are you car camping, section hiking, thru hiking? Big differences. I think "generally" Ultralight backpacking base weight is sub 8lbs, lightweight backpacking is sub 12lbs, and average is above that (before food and water). Really it's what you are comfortable with. I know for myself (bad knees) I shave weight because it means I can hike longer and enjoy the outdoors more.

My current base weight is about 11-12 pounds right now.

Happy Hangin'
    Ben
    I wish i could get down to that weight! LOL! I'm a comfort camper and pay the price for a heavier pack. There are a few things that I know i can cut back on but it will either cost me either "more money" or I'll loose some bit of comfort. My average 2-3 day pack is 30 lbs including both food and water.... My backpack is 7 lbs, so I know I can drop that back at least to three plus pounds, my cooking stove and fuel bottle is at least a pound plus, but I'm not crazy about going to an alcohol stove yet for some unknown reason. My air matress is 2.5 lbs I know i can go under 1 lb but the R value of 6.0 is hard to give up and its replacement will be very expensive and not as durable or dependable. So its kind of a balance between weight and comfort. I also gained weight going from an ultralight tent to hammock and tarp.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Overly weight conscious is a byproduct that is created after carrying too much weight for too many miles. If you never hike long distances, it isn't much of an issue for most people. But, once you set out on a hike that involves days, weeks, or even months, pack weight becomes your obsession.

I once thought of the super ultralighters as brain-damaged individuals. I still think they "ain't right", but I get where they are coming from now. I consider myself an ultralighter when I want to be, but a lightweight hiker is probably a better description of myself. I like cookies and to carry extra cookies, that means something else needs to be lightened, or removed from the pack. It keeps my pack weight honest by setting a max weight.

If I had to guess (I stopped using a scale a couple of years ago), I'd say my base weight is usually in the 10-12lb range; goes up a bit during winter hikes. But honestly, I care more about how it feels and carries than I do the actual weight. Now, if I were to go hike the AT again, I would be even lighter.

Less weight means more miles.
    More miles means less time between resupplies.
    Less time between resupplies means less food to be carried.
    Less food carried means even lighter pack weights and even more miles per day with even less food carried!

It's kind of a snowball thing once you get started and isn't without it own sense of personal amusement and accomplishment.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Less weight means more miles.
    More miles means less time between resupplies.
    Less time between resupplies means less food to be carried.
    Less food carried means even lighter pack weights and even more miles per day with even less food carried!

It's kind of a snowball thing once you get started and isn't without it own sense of personal amusement and accomplishment.
    Extrapolate far enough and eventually you hit light speed. Sure you cover a lot of ground (or space) but can you see anything?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    depends .... summer my base weight is around 7lbs ,3 season 8lbs and winter around 11-14lbs
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Overly weight conscious is a byproduct that is created after carrying too much weight for too many miles. If you never hike long distances, it isn't much of an issue for most people. But, once you set out on a hike that involves days, weeks, or even months, pack weight becomes your obsession.
    I think I became so focused on reducing pack weight after my first several day long trip.

Before that I would say I was more of a "camper" than a "backpacker".

I tried doing big miles with a pack over 40lbs - I'm 5'9 and 130lbs (clearly I'm a giant) and it 'reactivated' a sports related injury in my knees and I was hiking through near-blinding pain.

It can become something you obsess over - it can snowball. For me it has - I love creative problem solving and reducing weight has been a rewarding challenge.

Sometimes it's cheaper (stoves, cook pots, water filters or treatment, etc.) and sometimes it's much more expensive (anything using the words cuben or down).

I think it's improtant - if you can - to have a long distance pack, and a short distance pack. I can't afford both right now - but one day I'd really like to get some of the more comfortable gear that happens to also be heavier.

My Nano-7 is light as all get-out (6.1 ounces) and I find it really comfortable - but it's no Black Bird I'm sure. Sometimes four times heavier means four times more comfortable - or four times more fun (camp luxeries are great! I love taking my backpacker acoustic on trips even if it's awkward to pack and weighs 3lbs!) like how the Ti Emberlit Stove is four times heavier than my FF from Zelph - but it looks maybe ten times more fun.

Ultralight hammock camping is suited for hikers, or people dealing with injuries, or even older folks (you know, in their 100's) with a harder time getting out and about.

Otherwise it's probably not worth the headache and expense. Maybe...

Most recent warm weather base-weight: 5.7lbs
    (No consumables, fuel, or anything worn.)
    Last edited by R00K; 10-28-2011 at 13:33.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast