Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    My packs weight w/out food/water/fuel is about 12 lbs.. I could knock that down below 10 lbs. pretty easily simply by leaving my bear canister at home. If I was going a long distance, I would trim everything down to it's bare minimum though.

I carry extra weight on 3 day trips. I'm not just out there to commune w/ nature and stuff like that. I'm also out there to burn a few calories, so I don't see the point in doing everything that I can to make the experience easier for myself.

Another reason many go all ultra light in gear choices is it allows them to go and buy all new gear, giving them the temporary new gear rush that all gear-junkies crave.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Quote Originally Posted by guySmiley View Post
    ... I'm also out there to burn a few calories, so I don't see the point in doing everything that I can to make the experience easier for myself.
    My thoughts as well. If I've survived (and greatly enjoyed) a week with a 40+ pound pack, I'm not going to rush to shave grams.

Hammock
    ENO Single
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag & pad
    Suspension
    Straps/Line&knots
    It probably would have been better if I'd asked what percentage relative to bodyweight do you carry. As many pointed out, the actual weight in pounds will vary greatly depending on the person.

I carry less than 15% and pound wise approx. 30 lbs.

d

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R00K View Post
    (No consumables, fuel, or anything worn.)

You know, in most places, hiking naked could end with you a place you would rather not be, especially naked.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    OK, so to add to the discussion of % of body weight, I carry a base of 12#s, a 3 day fully loaded consumables included weight of 21#s, on a body at 210. Puts my loaded pack at 10% of body weight.

I find the best place to drop weight is around my middle. I have far more spare there. I could drop 30 from there, but not easily. That would take far too much determination and desire. I'd have to give up pie!

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    I'm 6.1 and 220LBS; 39 years old, and I average about 30 miles a day on my hikes. My 3 season base weight (and when I say base weight...I do mean EVERYTHING except food/fuel/water. Some fail to include certain items just to make there base weight seem light on paper but in reality it is not.) is 6.5LBS. this includes my pack.

In the winter I throw the weight thing out the door (I hate being cold.) I only hike a few miles and, this year I plan on using a pulk. I would say I tack on about another 2-3LBS if not more to that original figure. I will know more when all my winter gear gets delivered my the mailmen....I still have quite a few items on the way.

This (the 3 season system) is a-typically for a 3 day hike...the only thing that changes when I go out for more then a 3 days, is I transfer from a Zpack Zilch 1800 (he doesn't make these any more,) to my ULA Circuit. I keep looking and searching for something in the middle but have yet to find the pack that fits my demands and or budget.

All this being said, I am always weight conscious. After all I am a "freelance" UL/LW backpacking instructor/presenter. Back in my ground dwelling days my base weight was 4.7LBS but I tell you what.... the extra weight "penalty" is well worth the great sleep I get at night. And there is just something I love about my hammock, and its set up, over and above my tarp dwelling days...can't put my finger on it but there's something that makes it more fun then my UL tarp days.

YMMV
    Last edited by mugs; 10-29-2011 at 15:26.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Down all the way!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I just don't get the Ultralight craze. I take about 25 pounds including food, water, pack and everything in between. I admit I don't always use everything I bring, for instance I bring rain gear and pack cover because I am not all that comfortable being wet and I certainly don't want my gear getting wet. I also bring my SLR camera because I WANT pictures of it all. I am 5'9", 180 lbs and 51 years old and weight doesn't stop me from going where I want to go.

Hammock
    Dangerbird or WBBB
    Tarp
    4 s Cuben Z-packs
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Burrow
    Suspension
    Some of everything
    Images
    I'm 5'10ish", 200lbs-ish, 32 years old. I don't weight my pack. If i can't relax and enjoy backpacking, what's the point.

Having said that, i know i am lighter than i was a year ago, 5 lb 4-season tent vs. hammock (whatever a 1.7 dbl WBBB weighs), North face Shell and Liner vs. Montbell down sweater, stuff like that.

If i don't know what it weighs, it can't get heavy, right??
    Experts are the ones who think they know everything. Geniuses are the ones who know they don't.

You need seek no rocky summit, for these high places are within you.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Down all the way!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    [QUOTE=smitty7997;578985] I don't weight my pack. If i can't relax and enjoy backpacking, what's the point.

I hear ya smitty!

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty7997 View Post
    If i can't relax and enjoy backpacking, what's the point.

Having said that, i know i am lighter than i was a year ago, 5 lb 4-season tent vs. hammock (whatever a 1.7 dbl WBBB weighs), North face Shell and Liner vs. Montbell down sweater, stuff like that.
    Agreed. I think the point is to get out there and enjoy...and what ever that means for the individual is what is important.

And like you said switching from a hammock is naturally going to make you lighter then a tent. As well as augmenting gear for "better" gear here and there is going to help as well.

I used to be a hardcore stickler for the UL, but I have become more relaxed about and and honestly I haven't been overly concerned with my pack weight for the past two years or so...I think once I reached my goal of sub 5LBS and then discovered hammocking I backed off. Since my hiking kit is low enough now as far as weight and I have it really dialed in, the weight is not so much an issue any more, getting out and doing something with it is.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast