DIY Side Stretch 121"x61"
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings

30 oz of 800FP Down for $108?

I found a down pillow which claims to have 30oz of 800FP White European Goose Down for $119.99 with free shipping. A 10% off coupon ("hotdeals") brings it down to $107.99. The fill weight is listed on the second link. It comes to $3.60/oz. A good deal if the rating is accurate.

http://www.justoc.com/servlet/the-88...King-sz/Detail

http://www.highendlinen.com/ProductD...uctCode=YT0008

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    i used the bloomingdales "my luxe" pillows for my TQ and UQ......i'm certainly no expert on down, but it seemed to be pretty high quality with no feathers in it......you can sometimes find those pillows on ebay for even cheaper, i bought 2 of them (king size) for about $80 total and ended up with 64oz of down

here's a link to the thread
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=38247

post #18 there is a picture of the down clusters

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

This may be apples to oranges,

but I would have a better feeling about european goose down at 800 fp compared to any asian down. I have a Cabelas 750 fp vest, sewn in China with I assume Chinese raised and processed down, and it continually bleeds pinfeathers. The HG TQs and UQ I have NEVER bleed pinfeathers, and they are european 800 fp down.

Just my take on it.

Jim

Hammock
    11'x72" 1.6 HyperD XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    APEX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I have a marmot helium bag (775 fp - at least 12 years old) that I recently converted into a TQ. It also bleeds feathers like crazy through the shell. Yet the homemade TQ that I made with 800 fp down and momentum 90 from thru-hiker.com never bleeds except occasionally around the seams.

My own conclusion is that the older heavier shell material on the marmot bag is not nearly as downproof as the newer lighter momentum fabric. Not sure of the origin of the down on either bag, but having been up to my elbows in the down for both bags, I would have to say that they were of similar quality.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    but I would have a better feeling about european goose down at 800 fp compared to any asian down. I have a Cabelas 750 fp vest, sewn in China with I assume Chinese raised and processed down, and it continually bleeds pinfeathers. The HG TQs and UQ I have NEVER bleed pinfeathers, and they are european 800 fp down.

Just my take on it.

Jim
    that had more to do with the fabric than it did the down if you ask me
    from what i seen from making down quilts is lower quality fabris bleeds more down than a higher quality fabric ... not saying low quality is bad to use i used it a few times and sometimes it bleeds sometimes it's fine
    my take on down pillows or down quilts is yes it may be 800 fill but did they add feathers to it ?
    i only say this because if you get 800 fill down from a vendor at $6.50 an oz at 30oz thats $195 .... sometimes if you look on the tags of down pillows or quilts will say 20% feathers or something along those lines ... so buyer beware ... most will work fine for cheap UQ's if weight is not a problem
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    sometimes if you look on the tags of down pillows or quilts will say 20% feathers or something along those lines ... so buyer beware ... most will work fine for cheap UQ's if weight is not a problem
    The tag is require by law, for a pillow to be called down it needs to contain 75% down to feather ratio....

As for quality of down in pillows I agree, buyer beware, unless you can verify source of down used in manufacturing of pillows you will be at the mercy of the manufacturer....

I've seen some pretty cheap pillows passed off as quality down pillows...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    The tag is require by law, for a pillow to be called down it needs to contain 75% down to feather ratio....

As for quality of down in pillows I agree, buyer beware, unless you can verify source of down used in manufacturing of pillows you will be at the mercy of the manufacturer....

I've seen some pretty cheap pillows passed off as quality down pillows...
    i know it is
    i stated "sometimes if you look on the tags of down pillows or quilts will say 20% feathers or something along those lines "

what i was getting at is the down to feather ratio will be on the tag somewhere or should be but i have gotten down products without a down to feather ratio on the tag
    that and sometimes if you buy one used at yard sales it might not have the tag anymore...i know i remove the tags on quilts for my bed cause i hate seeing them sticking out LOL

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Looks like those are the Bloomingdales My Luxe that several DIY'ers here on HF have used in the past, including myself. Do a search in the DIY forums. See http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=40624 for the results of my project. I'm happy with it. Definitely look on ebay as these routinely sell for less, much less if you're patient. I paid $70 for 2 queen size firm pillows (~44 oz of down between the two). Good stuff IMO.

Is it as high a quality as some of the 900+ down offered by vendors here on HF? Probably not, but at $2 or less/oz vs $6-10/oz it is up to you to decide if the quality/risk is worth the cost difference.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    Looks like those are the Bloomingdales My Luxe that several DIY'ers here on HF have used in the past, including myself. Do a search in the DIY forums. See http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=40624 for the results of my project. I'm happy with it. Definitely look on ebay as these routinely sell for less, much less if you're patient. I paid $70 for 2 queen size firm pillows (~44 oz of down between the two). Good stuff IMO.

Is it as high a quality as some of the 900+ down offered by vendors here on HF? Probably not, but at $2 or less/oz vs $6-10/oz it is up to you to decide if the quality/risk is worth the cost difference.
    what was the final weight of your UQ? ...i might make one out of a used down quilt i have

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    I can't believe I am now seriously interested in the down to feather ratio of any and all of the products I use or will use for DIY.
    This is seriously fascinating.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast