Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post
    I think so but I'm 245 and I sleep in it at least 50% of the time with no problems so far except the structural web ridgeline has stretched and the Camper Sleeve is about 2" too short to fasten properly.

With the webbing he uses I'm not sure why it's rated that low, unless it was for the buckles he used. Those straps are the same as ratchet straps and will probably hold 500#
    Yes, I suspect you are right. The older version seemed very overbuilt for the weight rating.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    and now with the double layer, non panel bottom it should be even higher

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    i just sent him an email asking about what he thinks us plus sized guys would need to be concerned about if we were to use it. the info email link doesnt work, so i sent it to the sales email.

id love to have one. I saw Timbrrs and while i didnt try it, it looked really nice and like a really interesting setup.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    FIRST: im not affiliated with Eureka or Chrysalis hammocks in anyway. I only hope to bring more reviews and choices for us hammock nuts. obviously using a hammock in a manner that isn't intended would most likely void the warranty and hang at your own risk

ok guys, some cool news!!!

i just called him, and i think caught him off guard some, haha.

SO: Eureka Canada is the distributor and Eureka USA dropped sales because there wasnt enough selling. He is looking for another US distributor, but you can go thru him (i think, [email protected]) to get one. if you email him, just let him know you visit this site because i was talking it up for him, and maybe he could come on here as a vendor.

In TESTING the hammock held a little over 500lbs and in his words " its not to say that 500lbs wouldnt break it over time and use"

from the creators mouth.

Also from him, hes had a bigger guy (6'4") carry one around the world with him. And he's had guys that weigh more than the "suggested weight limits" in there several times with no issue. He also said his concern with the "weak link" would be the suspension, which we change out anyway!

NOW, theres going to be some minor changes in the next years version, but not sure what just yet (he didnt let the cat out...) and I MIGHT be able to test it out when its done and shoot yall a review. well see.
    Last edited by default; 10-25-2011 at 20:13.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Just for a point of reference, I have a BMBH and I currently weight more than the 250 pound spec rating that the Jacks give for the hammock and I have no issues. The JRB BMBH hammock used to be rated at 275 pounds. As for the "shoulder squeeze" issue, I have rather broad shoulders and I don't find it a problem. Sure the hammock fabric conforms to your body given the design and one does need to sleep with the arms crossed over your body in some fashion due to this. However, for me, it's a non issue as I sleep like that anyway.

I will say that any perceived should squeeze issue pales in comparison to the calf pressure I used to get in a gathered end hammock that I no longer have in my bridge hammock.

So for those that have never tried a bridge hammock before, don't knock it until you've tried one.

Cheers

Brian
    My apologies Brian. I have never tried a BMBH and was just speaking on what I have read on the forum.

I am a big fan of DIY and I think (IMO) its the best way to get a bridge hammock that will fit you the best.

Important info to remember about a bridge. The shorter the spreader bar the more the shoulder squeeze but the smaller the suspension , the longer the spreader bar the less the shoulder squeeze but the longer the suspension to handle the forces on the bar.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    FIRST: im not affiliated with Eureka or Chrysalis hammocks in anyway. I only hope to bring more reviews and choices for us hammock nuts. obviously using a hammock in a manner that isn't intended would most likely void the warranty and hang at your own risk

ok guys, some cool news!!!

i just called him, and i think caught him off guard some, haha.

SO: Eureka Canada is the distributor and Eureka USA dropped sales because there wasnt enough selling. He is looking for another US distributor, but you can go thru him (i think, [email protected]) to get one. if you email him, just let him know you visit this site because i was talking it up for him, and maybe he could come on here as a vendor.

In TESTING the hammock held a little over 500lbs and in his words " its not to say that 500lbs wouldnt break it over time and use"

from the creators mouth.

Also from him, hes had a bigger guy (6'4") carry one around the world with him. And he's had guys that weigh more than the "suggested weight limits" in there several times with no issue. He also said his concern with the "weak link" would be the suspension, which we change out anyway!

NOW, theres going to be some minor changes in the next years version, but not sure what just yet (he didnt let the cat out...) and I MIGHT be able to test it out when its done and shoot yall a review. well see.
    I also had some long chats with him and tried to get him to come over here but he kept saying he's not a computer guy. I like his product and try to promote it when I can as like you I think the more options out there the better for all of us.

I had an original and he did send me an early version of the 2011 that I had to compare since last fall. I sold the earyl version as the new one is much better ... I wonder what's coming for next year??

As far as suspension on this one it's different than most bridges in that it has a structural ridge line. So, attach at eye height between two trees as close as 12 ft apart and pull tight and climb in. It sets sag automatically. Way easier than my BB. No shoulder squeeze like BMBH, when I first got into one I finally knew what a sardine feels like

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    i just got an email from him and i wanted to share some of it with you guys

I tried a “conventional” hammock (sling shape with cross bars) for camping 19 years ago and found I couldn’t use it due to lack of lumbar support and hyper extension of the knees. That’s why I designed and patented Chrysalis – so I could be really comfortable camping. Of course the other neat advantages of hammock camping you already know.
    As for you 300 ponders, It will work. I had a 340 pound and 310 pound guy try it out at shows. I’d like to do some long term testing though.... It may require some beefing up but if that isn’t needed all the better...

in the end, this is a good thing and i may be able to speak on how it works for me being my size. this could open up some options for us full figured guys

Hammock
    ENO, ABES
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Camo
    Insulation
    DIY FL Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Rev,

I received the same e-mail from Dave. I'm getting excited about this hammock! I hope it works for us!!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    CRO Up Wide
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    'Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I need some help with the same issues. I absolutely cannot use a GE hammock. I have a WB Ridgerunner and while it's a great improvement, I am getting some serious squeeze. I cannot sleep in a "mummy" position, and any other position causes my arms to be compressed against my body. I love this thing for lounging around, but I cannot sleep more than an hour or two before I get so uncomfortable that I wake up and cannot get back to sleep.

So, my question is this: Does the Chrysalis have more interior width than a Ridgerunner? Any help is most appreciated. Thank you!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Brommeland View Post
    'Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I need some help with the same issues. I absolutely cannot use a GE hammock. I have a WB Ridgerunner and while it's a great improvement, I am getting some serious squeeze. I cannot sleep in a "mummy" position, and any other position causes my arms to be compressed against my body. I love this thing for lounging around, but I cannot sleep more than an hour or two before I get so uncomfortable that I wake up and cannot get back to sleep.

So, my question is this: Does the Chrysalis have more interior width than a Ridgerunner? Any help is most appreciated. Thank you!
    Your best bet is to reach out to "Just Bill" here on the forums. He may be able to help you out.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast