Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling

Wilderness Logics King Size TQ - ORDERED!

I placed my order Sunday night and got an e-mail today notifying me that it was shipped and should be here by Thursday.

I'm excited to check this baby out. I'm not a big guy (5'10", 170 lb), but wanted the king size for extra coverage for those times I might be on the ground. At 55" by 78", it should do the trick. I'll post some pics when I get it, and hopefully be able to take it out this weekend.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    you'll be a "bug in a rug"! they're great quilts.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    @ 5'10 youll be swimming in it!!! Marty sure is fast at getting his gear out too... Big plus.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    @ 5'10 youll be swimming in it!!! Marty sure is fast at getting his gear out too... Big plus.
    That's what I'm shooting for! Who wouldn't want to wrap himself in warm pillowy (is that a word?) downy goodness, and still have room to spare? To me, it's worth the extra few ounces!

Yeah I was happy about the fast shipping. Can't wait to check it out!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Well, I got my quilt tonight! My wife is at work and has the camera, so no pics tonight, but I can tell you my first impressions.

The build quality is great, just what I would expect with WL's credentials. The size is almost what they claim on the website - 55" wide exactly at the head, but the length is a bit shorter than 78... around 72 or so. Perhaps it was 78 before sewing everything together, or more likely the loft shortens it. Regardless, it is perfect for me, I bought it for the width, not length. I wanted something that would wrap all the way around me when I go to the ground, and this does the trick! I tested it out on my pad, and it will be great.

The quilt comes with a stuff sack and a storage sack, both of which are good quality. The stuff sack doesn't compress it a ton, I can compress it by hand to almost half the size. It will work great in the bottom of my pack - the weight on top will compress it a bit if needs be.

The quilt also comes with a fleece condensation patch which attaches with velcro to the top-middle of the quilt where we breathe. The quilt has the soft side of the velcro, and the patch has the sticky side. I don't know if I'll use this feature, but it's an interesting one.

The quilt lofts up to about 2-2.5", which corresponds with the baffle size. It's a big quilt, so the 14 oz of down has to fill a lot of space. If you want it really poofy, you should have WL add a few more ounces of fill, which they will do for $8 an oz. I think I'll leave mine as is for now, I don't see myself pushing the limits of its rating.

I have only one other "quilt" to compare it to, the modified Rab Quantum top-bag. The Pertex Quantum material of the Rab is amazing - quite a bit softer, lighter, and more supple than the WL's 1.1 ripstop. I'm sure this comes with a decrease of durability though. The Rab bag lofts to almost the same size as the WL, even though the Rab has half the down (7oz vs. 14), and has a higher temp rating (40 degs or so). But the Rab is quite a bit smaller, 40" vs. 55", so even though there's less down, it has a smaller space to fill. Also, the Rab's baffles are very elastic, while the WL's aren't at all, so that probably affects how much the down can loft.

The WL will be my go-to spring/fall bag because it provides complete coverage. Although the Rab lofts to almost the same size (and is presumably just as warm - where it covers,) it will have to be my summer bag because it lacks some coverage. I will use a down jacket where the Rab falls short (around the calves and knees). My wife will use the WL during the summer because she is a cold sleeper.

I successfully put the Rab inside the WL, and vice versa, achieving 5+ inches of loft. I think I could tackle some winter stuff with this pair, if I dared to...!

Overall the WL King Size is a great quilt. The quality is excellent, and I think it will do just what I expect it to. No frills (except the fleece patch), just a big solid quilt at a great price. Can't wait to try it out!

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    well since the WL will get you to 20* i think youll be set!
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    well since the WL will get you to 20* i think youll be set!
    Yep, I'll get to about 25* this weekend!

• + New Posts