Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hey guys, thanks a lot for letting me hang out with you for a couple hours and check out your stuff. You're a great bunch of guys and really helpful

Hammocks are definitely cool things and the WBBB is really comfortable, but I really think I'm gonna stick with a tent. It's a tough call but in truth, I like tents (i.e. it's not like I'm trying to switch from something I hate) and they just fit my worst-case-scenario better. I can get a 4 season setup that's lighter (not by much, though), a bit cheaper (again, probably not by much), but really fits the worst-case-scenario better, and that's key for me.

I can pitch the tent anywhere... I've been in situations of ice storms and heavy snow that decimates trees, and I wouldn't want to be under one in that case. A hung hammock can be warm, but an underquilt on the ground does nothing. It's pretty hard to break a solid core foam pad and it's nice to know that such a reliable piece of gear is a core part of my setup already.

Clearly hammocks are a lot about "tinkering" and a lot of DIY. That's just not me... I like my gear to take care of itself right out of the box, to the end of its life, without me having to do too much to it.

Thanks again... it was very enlightening

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    [o]TTer you just couldn't resist could you. LOL. I'm not at all surprised. A night out in the woods was probably just what the doctor ordered.
    Apparently I've become very predictable My Wife said the same thing when I got home but honestly it’s just banter with us! She knows this insane lifestyle keeps me somewhat sane, I spend 50+ hours a week in a cubicle with a fake plastic plant surround by screens to ensure that even my peripheral vision is “work space”. Getting out between the trees keeps yours truly from a swan dive off the corporate platform into a pool that won’t be filled till the req gets signed….“corporate accounts payable Nina speaking, JUst a moment…”

Glad I stayed, enjoyed meeting more HF members and had a great night as always. Brian, the DIY wood stove is nothing short of awesome, one is on my project list! I really didn’t shoot much but here’s a couple from the hike and a frosty morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Very nice pics Otter
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by redcanvas View Post
    Sorry I missed it, though I'm still interested in diving into a winter hang!

Looks like a nice time, thanks for posting the video and for organizing everything, Brian!
    You certainly do have a spirit of adventure, redcanvas. Organizing a trip to a place that you've been to is pretty easy. It's just the matter of the when you're going to go as the where part was already set.

I saw recently that you bought a Warbonnet Blackbird from a member here. We will be waiting for the first test hang report with pictures. Just get your insulation sorted out for winter temperatures and you should be good to go.

See you at the next hang.

Brian

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps
    What a perfect opportunity this was for my first hang. So glad I made it! What a great bunch of people!

This event came up just as I've been getting into hammocks. I got the chance to test my new DIY gear on an overnighter. I had lots of help from experts getting set up, learning new knots, a close look at everyone's setup, and other awesome stuff.

We lucked out with the dry weather, it's been raining so often lately. It did go down 0c but we had a warm fire, thanks to everyone who cut lots of firewood.

It was was great meeting everyone, chatting around the fire, and seeing all the different gear.

Beautiful shots [o]TTeR!

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It looks like you had a good hang! Way to go!!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Nice report, Brian! That canvas is looking good, and your stove will be a source of winter joy.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just saw a bunch of canvas warm tarpish tents at the Winter Symposium.
    Looks like ya'll had a right goodie up there.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Just saw a bunch of canvas warm tarpish tents at the Winter Symposium.
    Looks like ya'll had a right goodie up there.
    Shug
    Thanks Shug

I hope to get to the Winter Camping Symposium next year. We did have a great time at this weekend hang. I certainly won't win any points in the gram weenie contest for winter camping, but I think OldGringo and I will win the contest for comfort and luxury in winter camping.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Nice looking monster tarp BW.