Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    None yet, but hopefully soon!

Tarp Size Suggestions

So, I'm trying to figure out what size tarp I'll need. It's going to be covering a WBBB and I have a few requirements: I want the option of doing that fold over thing at the ends to make doors (without having to buy doors separately), I'd like a bit of extra space to sit out if it's raining, but I don't cook near my sleeping space so it doesn't need to be huge. I was thinking a 10x10 might be good, but of course I want to see what the experts say

I'm not ruling out DIY, but if anyone has any suggestions for tarps that already exist, I'd be open to hearing them.

As always, thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    This thread will get you headed in the right direction.

My personal opinion, today, is that an 11-12' ridgeline with ~4' sides (8' wide +/-) is plenty of tarp for 1 person & 1 hammock. YMMV

Here are some picks of a DIY tarp I got from another HF member; it's approximately 10.5' x 7.5'
    Last edited by AaronAlso; 10-23-2011 at 12:21. Reason: formatting
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    HB NoSeeUm
    Tarp
    SilNy 10x12
    Insulation
    Sierra 15 Utopia
    Suspension
    SLS Marlin-Whoopie
    Looking for a 10x12 slice of tyvek myself. Found one seller on ebay with 10' wide, $1.85 per foot plus shipping. I'm going to visit my local 84 Lumber to see if they have throw-away tyvek, as some posts here indicated it's used to wrap the lumber and thrown away. Lowes also has a 10' x 120' roll for like $125ish, but I don't need that much.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Cuben Fiber 9oz
    Insulation
    Under/top quilt
    Suspension
    whoopee sling
    This is my tarp. its a 11x8.5. Both ends close for 100% coverage. I have been in 40 MPH winds and 2 inches of rain over night and did not get a drop of water in the hammock. As it hangs it is 9oz
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir Fry View Post
    This is my tarp. its a 11x8.5. Both ends close for 100% coverage. I have been in 40 MPH winds and 2 inches of rain over night and did not get a drop of water in the hammock. As it hangs it is 9oz
    that is one nice looking tarp is that CF

also Im one of thoes people who like to be prepared for anything so i Personally use a 12x11 turtle tarp i make, but this was made with the skeeter beater pro dimensions in mind "sags really low" but with my new WBBB i have found that its a little to big I will be making me a new 11x10 turtle tarp soon this will leave you about 3/4 of a foot coverage on each end of your BB will completly close in like in a tent/storm mode but can also be set up in a hex mode for nicer days and a 11x10 IMHO will give you all the room you need for lounging in your chair under the tarp without moving the hammock its also the perfect size "for me" to throw up in porch mode "which i always have mine in unless its really raining" i hope this help you in your decision and if you have any other ?s feel free to ask
    BT
    "Hang safe and enjoy the outdoors"

http://tqnt.webs.com/
    Turtle Quilts N Tarps
    your home for custom made products

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Are you hoping to use this tarp for all seasons and all conditions? If so, I recommend with with the blackbird you go with a minimum of 10' x 8'. However, 10' for some reason is pushing it with the blackbird after you factor in 101" ridgeline, 4" worth of excess gathered ends, and let's say 4" the natural sag or catenary slope a ridge line usually has, it leaves you with little room on the ridge.

With that said, I'd say 10.5" x 8.5" minimum for 4 season use. For 3 season use I like a 7' width and would like to try 6'.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Greetings RedCanvas

If you're looking for commercial made hammock specific tarps, then the SuperFly from Warbonnet, the Jacks R Better 11x10 cat cut or and of the 4 season tarps from Outdoor Equipment Supplier would suffice.

If you prefer something more local, you could look at the M.E.C. silcone Guide tarp. Look at the trip report from the Ontario 2nd Chance fall hang to see the guide tarp in action over [o]TTeR's hammock.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    I love my superflys

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    If you are going to buy a WBBB then maybe pick up a WB Superfly while your are at it.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    My opinion, lets call it a minimal guide so to speak.
    What I suggest:
    A tarp length minimal 8" at each end (so 16" total) longer than whatever my hammock length, when hung, is. So a hammock that is 8' long when hanging from the trees, means (at least to me) a tarp with a ridgeline of 9'4".
    Tarp sides: Enough to cover your hammock AND insulation in a driving wind. So if your hammock sag, from ridgeline to the lowest point in your hammock WITH YOU IN IT. So a 4' sag & the above ridgeline means you want a 9' 4" X 8' tarp, or (an easier way to do it) a 10' X 8' tarp.
    IMHO, this will get you through a pretty strong storm if you cant find a protected place to hang.
    This will not protect you from a storm where the rain is "falling" horizontally, or coming down hard enough that it "Bounces up", because remember that as you spread the bottom of your tarp, it gets further from the ground, so less side protection.

If you have a hammock like a Grand Trunk UL & you like a flatter sag, you may be able to get away with a 8' X 6' tarp, and be able to stand a "storm of the century".

What I did: bought a "blue tarp" about the size I thought I would like, I think I spend about $9.00 for it. I got a 12 X 10, & it seemed a little short along the ridge, but when I measured, it fit the above criteria with inches to spare, so I got (well, ordered) a 12.5' X 10' tarp, what came was a foot longer than I had planned. I LOVE IT!! When I wear it out, I'm getting the same size!!
    With that tarp I can close both ends, & at my height of 5'6" can almost walk upright with it staked TO THE GROUND as low as the tarp will go.
    Tarp weight including stuff sack is 2 Lbs.

I joke that "I can house a family of 4 & they won't have to see each other for a week". So for a solo hiker, it's a great place to hang out during a bad storm, cause I can actually walk around, stretch, cook (done it ONE time) & stuff. When hung the way I usually do, I can stand up straight & not touch the tarp.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast