WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip

Is it a little drafty or is it me.

Does anyone else have the problem of an UQ draft on the same plane as the ridge line. What I mean is where the gathered end is follow the fabric down to where you lay on it. That area seems to have creases and divits in it that allows air to come in on my HH expedition. Anyone else has this problem.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe cinch up the end channels if it has a shock-cord there.
    Or just tighten up the UQ suspension.....might do the trick.
    Carry on.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthauk View Post
    Does anyone else have the problem of an UQ draft on the same plane as the ridge line. What I mean is where the gathered end is follow the fabric down to where you lay on it. That area seems to have creases and divits in it that allows air to come in on my HH expedition. Anyone else has this problem.
    The winter Phoenix is a heavy UQ. I had one. I found you really need to tighten up the shockcord pulling it up tighter to the bottom of the hammock like shug suggests.

hth

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    On a recent trip a few of us helped each other adjust our UQs. Having someone adjust while you lay in the hammock is a hug help.

The other thing we saw was that when viewed from the foot end, the underside of the hammocks almost always took a concave shape, making it near impossible for the UQ to make a proper seal. Our thought was that UQs would benefit from draft tubes.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    On a recent trip a few of us helped each other adjust our UQs. Having someone adjust while you lay in the hammock is a hug help.

The other thing we saw was that when viewed from the foot end, the underside of the hammocks almost always took a concave shape, making it near impossible for the UQ to make a proper seal. Our thought was that UQs would benefit from draft tubes.
    In interesting thought about the draft tubes. I was thinking about shoving a sock in there perpendicular to my UQ so that it might act as block to the draft. I'll try it next weekend.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    I see that AHE nows sells UQTT's (Triangle Thingies). Has anyone given these a real good test? Do they solve this problem?

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    This is one of the unspoken problems/ tricks/artsy-craftey parts of under quilt life.

The expectation is "get an underquilt and live happily ever after."

But many of us spend a lot of chilly nites getting it right.

I agree that having an assistant to help you tune the installation is almost a necessity.

Also, seeing how other do it at a group hang goes along way.

Also. I tried the triangle thingies and they didn't work well for me. If it matters, and I think it does, I sleep as diagonal as I can.
    Last edited by Grinder; 10-22-2011 at 08:04. Reason: add comment
    grinder

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Also. I tried the triangle thingies and they didn't work well for me. If it matters, and I think it does, I sleep as diagonal as I can.
    I noticed that the triangle thingies changed the diagonal lay too. I must lay a little more straight in the hammock though because the triangle thingies helped me. They helped eliminate gaps and keep the quilt where I wanted it, rather than it slipping off my shoulder in the middle of the night. I just had to set it up with the diagonal attachment points at similar tensions. Before using the triangle thingies I would use a mini carabiner to move the UQ suspension over the ridgeline.

It has taken a few cold nights to figure out what works for me though. The UQ was definitely not plug and play.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH Standard
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    WS & Toggle
    Just switched to Incubator UQ with TQ on my HH Expedition; both are 20 deg rated. My previous setup was a 15 deg Big Agnes Lost Ranger and Thermarest Prolite 4 pad. I've spent several nights with the old setup into the upper 20s...not fully comfortable due to cold. True comfort range for the bag setup was around 35-40 deg for me.

I've now spent 2 UQ nights, both at 42 deg (no wind) with no tarp. The 2nd night was very comfortable. The ends of the UQ were gathered tight and I did not stake out the sides of the HH. The first night I had a couple cold spots with the HH staked out. I think staking the HH out created a gap. My top side was warmer than bottom on both nights.

Overall comfort, ingress/egress and versatility for the UQ/TQ is much better (28 oz lighter too). I'm hoping the TP/UQ with a close-pitched tarp will get me to a comfortable 30 deg. At high altitude, here in Utah, I see temps in the 30s even in late/early summer.

Duane

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    This is one of the unspoken problems/ tricks/artsy-craftey parts of under quilt life.

The expectation is "get an underquilt and live happily ever after."

But many of us spend a lot of chilly nites getting it right.

I agree that having an assistant to help you tune the installation is almost a necessity..................
    Well, here we go yet again! For most folks it seems, there is an UQ fiddle factor and learning curve for sure, though I really have not had much of one myself with the JRB MW4(zero learning or fiddle when used on the JRB bridge), or the WB synthetic Yeti- just a little fiddle for me at 1st, not much since then. It does have some draft tubes though.

Lately I always notice threads like this. Not because I am anti UQ at all. Indeed, I am a big fan of the above 2 items that qualify exactly as what most are talking as "UQs". The reason this grabs my attention is because of the opinion that was fairly strong around here- at least at one time- that the HHSS had way too much fiddle factor compared to Uqs which had very little. But the frequency of threads like this show that- at the very least- it goes both ways.

But in my personal experience, there is actually no fiddle factor with the HHSS. With the HHSS, IMO, it either works for you or it doesn't. If you attach it exactly as HH directs, there is nothing else to do, and with the side tie outs as directed, it will not move after getting in. Or mine does not. Once you do the above, what you've got is what you've got. And you are either warm and dry(me) or you are not.

With TQs or UQs, drafts can be the challenge. If with an UQ, gaps are usually the culprit, or a lack of seal on the sides or ends. For many, some experimenting is needed to find the right adjustments to avoid any of that.

There is a reason for the increasing popularity of a pod approach for serious cold( seemed to get a big boost last year from Shug/fourdogs et all). It is the most bombproof way of defeating drafts. With the commercial Pea/PolarPod, the ends are completely enclosed around the hammock(depending on hammock length)- no possible gaps allowing cold air to sneak under you. The pod drapes over the top side hammock edges, and the pod top closes completely like a sleeping bag- and the top Velcro closure supports the quilt full length- except for whatever vent you decide to give it. All of this is very anti draft and gap. Pods are not for every one, but they sure are warm and draft free.

My synthetic WB Torso "Yeti" UQ, with its draft collars- always seals very well on the sides and ends, as long as the tension is right, which is easy for me to get right these days. But it can move or I can move and then there is a draft, requiring a quick adjustment from inside the hammock. It must be pretty exactly positioned at my neck/shoulders. But I think that is a small price for a SYNTHETIC(heavier) quilt that is maybe good to zero or below and ~ 21 oz. ( I hope some day to actually test the limits of this thing- I still can't believe no one makes it anymore)

I had to fiddle to find the right set up for my JRB MW4 on a WBBB, all foot end issues. But once I got it, I was toasty all night in a very windy 18F with little tarp wind block. But for those who like a bridge hammock, what a deal! No fiddle, no learning curve. It will not move, I can not move off of it, head to toe warmth and there will be no gaps or drafts. Like the HHSS, there is nothing else to do but put it on as directed. Plenty warm at 10F so far.

I have had no gap or draft issues with my HHSS, unless I got crazy adding fleece insulation to the UC.

Keep fiddling with your UQ, you should find the right adjustment quick enough. Tight enough, but not too tight. You might need a little mod for adding a bit of shock cord.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Fat2Pedal View Post
    Just switched to Incubator UQ with TQ on my HH Expedition; both are 20 deg rated. My previous setup was a 15 deg Big Agnes Lost Ranger and Thermarest Prolite 4 pad. I've spent several nights with the old setup into the upper 20s...not fully comfortable due to cold. True comfort range for the bag setup was around 35-40 deg for me.

I've now spent 2 UQ nights, both at 42 deg (no wind) with no tarp. The 2nd night was very comfortable. The ends of the UQ were gathered tight and I did not stake out the sides of the HH. The first night I had a couple cold spots with the HH staked out. I think staking the HH out created a gap. My top side was warmer than bottom on both nights.

Overall comfort, ingress/egress and versatility for the UQ/TQ is much better (28 oz lighter too). I'm hoping the TP/UQ with a close-pitched tarp will get me to a comfortable 30 deg. At high altitude, here in Utah, I see temps in the 30s even in late/early summer.

Duane
    Hey Duane, welcome to HF and sounds like you have nailed it right off! Good for you! I used to live in Layton 85-87! Sadly, while spending lots of nights in the Wasatch, Uintas and Wind rivers, I never hung from those trees back then!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast