Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps

NX-250 :thumbup:

I finally got the NX-250 on Friday, and the suspension was already converted to whoopies. (I love them) I also have the Z-Liner insulation. I hung friday night in it with the Z-Liner and a 0 degree sleeping bag. It got down to the low 30's and I was toasty warm. I don't like sleeping bags so the next time I plan to try a TQ and lay on a poncho liner just to add some cushioning and warmth under me. The Z-Liner did well, but in the low 30's I needed a little more. I think a poncho liner will do the trick.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    I think that there is no such thing as "dead air" in an un-stuffed CJH pocket. The warmth of your back combined with the cooler exterior air has to create convection currents that will eventually chill you. Yes, a hammock with pockets has to be a bit warmer than one without, but I do not believe by much, and certainly will not be suitable for fall temperatures without added fill to trap air. Demo's Wal-Mart soulution is a great idea. I have cut sections of reflectix to bit the six pockets of my 250 to add to the warmth of my 3-S Phoenix. But I cannot say just how much the Rftx extends the lower temp rating.

Jim
    thanks Jim
    Clark NX-250, Warbonnet Superfly, Custom made Down, Underground Underquilt. DIY Suspension & Continuous Ridgeline.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    I finally got the NX-250 on Friday, and the suspension was already converted to whoopies. (I love them) I also have the Z-Liner insulation. I hung friday night in it with the Z-Liner and a 0 degree sleeping bag. It got down to the low 30's and I was toasty warm. I don't like sleeping bags so the next time I plan to try a TQ and lay on a poncho liner just to add some cushioning and warmth under me. The Z-Liner did well, but in the low 30's I needed a little more. I think a poncho liner will do the trick.
    thanks mate, youve given me something to think about as i carry a dutch ex army rain poncho in my kit always, it comes in handy for a lot of things and may do the trick, should i lay it inside the hammock and put my sleeping bag on it or hang it up around the bottom of the outside of the hammock? cheers Doz
    Clark NX-250, Warbonnet Superfly, Custom made Down, Underground Underquilt. DIY Suspension & Continuous Ridgeline.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    For more warmth, you need to rig it under the hammock on the outside. I have the Z-Liner for insulation and just need a little more, so I plan on putting mine inside with a TQ. I like laying on the PL for cushy, warm comfort. I suggest an UQ if you are not using a Z-Liner, and even an UQ with the Z-Liner if it is real cold.
    I plan to sew something up in addition to my Z-Liner for insulation in the pockets. I was thinking of using a PL and cut it into peices that will fit into the pockets, and sew them up with some velcro at the top just like the Z-Liner. I can then add them in the pockets to the Z-Liner to help in colder weather.
    I figure I can cut the pieces the same size as the Z-Liner pieces, except twice as wide and double them up. Once sewn with the velcro closure at the top, they will enhance the Z-Liner insulation, and not add to much additional weight. They will mainly be used for short hikes or car camping. It would be too heavy for long hikes.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Almost forgot:

If you decide to buy or make an underquilt, you can route the shock-cord suspension above the tab pockets for the hoop sections. Keeps the UQ where it belongs, and IMO makes a better wrap of the UQ around your body.

Jim

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Has anyone considered removing any or all of the pockets from under the NX 250? I rarely use them and when I do it's usually only a few small items in one huge pocket. Not sure how much weight you would save but every little bit helps.

Miguel

I got the TX 250. It only has pockets ate the ends not right under you. I use and UQ I just needed a few pockets to hold stuff.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234