Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGMofo View Post
    Great heads up on the Emberlit, I just ordered one. I have been using a Vargo and I really like the way you feed the wood into the side of the Emberlit instead of having to open the door.
    Yeah...that side feed is awesome. And have you heard.....it folds flat.

Hammock
    SMr Parés, [o]TTeR Recliner
    Tarp
    SMr Nubé
    Insulation
    TTT Polar Pod
    Suspension
    SMr EZ slings
    Images
    So I just modified my new Clark NX 250. I love the hammock but wasn't impressed with the stock suspension ropes. I just swapped them out for some whoopsie slings and am very pleased with the way it turned out. I am looking forward to doing quite a few winter hangs in this hammock. The whoopie sling mod was very easy and took under 5 minutes. Here is a link to my YouTube video showing the new suspension. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1k7GfGBzaE&sns=em
    Scars are tattoos with better stories.

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    Just curious, but what's the word on the NX250 keeping you warm with just the pocket material underneath creating dead airspace? What temp will it really keep you warm to without a sleeping pad or UQ?

I am sure the dead airspace adds something, but it looks like like a lot of airspace to heat and I think it said it will keep you warm down to 32 degrees on one of their videos, which is hard to believe after playing around with an UQ on my bridge.
    Thanks,
    Ed

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    3 days “In-school”
    Images
    I've had two NX-250s. For me the warmth from the pockets underneath is negligible as a cold sleeper. I think that they would "help" me not need a summer quilt. The weather shield though is huge. I like it a lot. I've got a NA on the way to my house now and if I like the lay of it, I will probably sell it and get a tropical with a weather shield. If I don't like it I will probably go back to a Blackbird and order a burrito from AHE.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Southpaws NX-250 is on it's way to me, and I will let you know how I like it. I can't wait to try it out. I loved the NA, but was envious of the NX-250's larger size and the spreader bars. I hope to be hanging this weekend in it.

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    3 days “In-school”
    Images
    ^ gonna be a happy hanger ^

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Walmart has a $15 solution to try

Quote Originally Posted by egrant5329 View Post
    Just curious, but what's the word on the NX250 keeping you warm with just the pocket material underneath creating dead airspace? What temp will it really keep you warm to without a sleeping pad or UQ?

I am sure the dead airspace adds something, but it looks like like a lot of airspace to heat and I think it said it will keep you warm down to 32 degrees on one of their videos, which is hard to believe after playing around with an UQ on my bridge.
    Thanks,
    Standard all polyester pillows are on sale for $2.50 each. They fit and fill the Clark pockets perfectly, but are overstaffed by at least a factor of 2. Remove that excess poly and restitch. The blousy nylon pockets of the Clark keeps wind from blowing through them. Compression for storage and transport isn't bad with the right bag. Good to below 40F.
    Since the pillow covers are polyester you can fill them with better--climashield or $5/yd2 3m Thinsulate, later.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    DemostiX, Thanks for the pillow information, that will come in handy.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    well its been a couple of days over a month since my original post and i thought to update everyone on my first purchase, once again thanks for all of the helpful info. I have a possible hunt for a couple of days i should prep for and having recently sold the tent and ground mattress and a few other things, tonight (Australian time) i purchased a Clark NX-250 with a Vertex rain fly, all camo of course (everything must be camo lol). I also purchased the extra tree hugger bits, but i think after the many comments i tend to see i may have to purchase the whoopie sling set up, shall have to see, and appreciate any comments about the factory suspension and why exactly its problematic or not appropriate for some.

I can be a bit of a cold sleeper at times and ive spent many a night past cold on a camp, i think many of us know its a rough night and if one that can be avoided id rather do so early. Ive got an emergency space blanket i can use, dont fancy the ruffle all night while moving an inch though, so if anyone can help me with some answers for an UQ that would be fantastic, it may sound like a bit of a double up on comments that have been answered already but im new to this and a little illiterate, im still not satisfied with my education regarding the comments and probably am rather looking for someone to sell me something or a comment thats a little bold and says somethign like 'buy this its all youll need and weight is minimal' or somethign to that affect so be bold please. Once again thanks
    Clark NX-250, Warbonnet Superfly, Custom made Down, Underground Underquilt. DIY Suspension & Continuous Ridgeline.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Clark pockets and "dead air"

I think that there is no such thing as "dead air" in an un-stuffed CJH pocket. The warmth of your back combined with the cooler exterior air has to create convection currents that will eventually chill you. Yes, a hammock with pockets has to be a bit warmer than one without, but I do not believe by much, and certainly will not be suitable for fall temperatures without added fill to trap air. Demo's Wal-Mart soulution is a great idea. I have cut sections of reflectix to bit the six pockets of my 250 to add to the warmth of my 3-S Phoenix. But I cannot say just how much the Rftx extends the lower temp rating.

Jim

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast