Thread: Tarp Lines

Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE Revelation

Tarp Lines

So after looking at the Tarp forum, I'm thinking this is a more appropriate place for my questions...

I'm a complete noob--hung my new HH Explorer Ultralite for the first time last weekend. I had already spent a lot of time on here scouring all the how-to's and opinions, so I know I want to improve my setup. My 3 primary objectives are 1) speed 2) weight 3) function, in no particular order. It seems like most folks are also looking for the best way to improve those three areas, so I'm hoping you guys can tell me why my ideas would or wouldn't work.

Tarp Ridgeline (I have the HH Hex tarp) - I'm really fascinated with whoopie slings...is there any reason they wouldn't work just as well for hanging tarps? I'm envisioning 3 whoopies here...1 for a ridgeline and 1 on either end to tie out from the D-rings to the tree. A lot of folks talk about adding shock cord to tarp tie-outs...could you add shock cord to the whoopie slings for a tarp suspension to keep it tight?

Guy lines - same as above...could you make some whoopie slings with shock cord tied in using one of the methods other folks on here have outlined?

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    One thing about Whoopies. When you snug them down straight out tight, they are sometimes a bear to loosen.

I just switched from a single ridge line (SRL) for my tarp to two separate ridge line tie outs using Dutch Flyz. I always thought the SRL was quick & easy, you know. String it up then adjust the tarp center via prussics. After Dutch explained how he uses 2 flyz with the separate tie outs, I figured it was worth a shot. So here it is.

Because the Flyz are so quick & easy to use, you attach one end of the tarp with the length of line you think will get you center. Next attach the other side, step back and view how close you are to center. If your off, lets say 6" or so away from the tree on the right side. Loosen the fly on the left, let out about 3" on the left side, hook up the Fly, then re-tighten the right side which takes up the 3" let out on the left. Your now centered. That sounds like allot & sounds like it would take longer, but after a couple nights practicing with it, I found I'm faster at setting up that way. Plus I don't have to loosen prussics enough to slide anymore.

By far the fastest way for me is my Single Line Hammock Suspension (SLS). My tarp is already attached and centered between my two butterfly loops hanging down to hook my hammock to. After connecting tree straps, I connect my SLS, with tarp attached, tie the tarp out, then hook my hammock to the butterfly loops. Done, no need to hang a separate tarp line or hammock lines. The SLS does require me to carry line tension's though. Which weigh 1oz. each, so for all four corners that 4oz. plus the additional weight of the continuous 7/64 amsteel (2oz.).

Conclusion, I would say for me, I'm switching back & forth between 2 tie outs w/Dutch Flyz & my SLS depending on mood.
    SPEED
    My SLS wins. Second would be 2 separate tie outs w/Dutch Flyz, then the SRL last.
    Weight
    2 Tie outs w/Dutch Flyz wins. Second would be the SRL, then my SLS. Of course with it I don't have to carry separate Whoopies for my hammock either. Hmmm...I need to weigh some things. Ahh wait, 4oz. for my line tension devices.

Sorry for the long winded post 8Crow, I was going to delete it and just post the first 2 sentences, but man, I spent some time typing all that out. Maybe in the back of my mind it was more for me to justify what I'm using or going to be using. Tell ya what, if you actually read all that and would like to try the SRL using a niteize Knot Bone and Figure nine, PM your info and I'll send you the one I have. It's the least I can do for taking up so much space & time.

Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE Revelation
    Funny stuff. I do appreciate the commentary, though--that's what I'm looking for and pretty much the whole reason forums like these exist, right?

Good point on the whoopies being hard to take down. I hadn't thought about that but it makes sense.

I was just looking at a set of Nite Ize figure 9's on my lunch break today...comparing those to the Dutch Flyz I'm guessing the concept is the same or similar? Those sound really tempting. What about the stretch cord? Does anyone add it to tarp ridgelines? I saw some posts where people were using it for the bottom tieouts and wasn't sure why you wouldn't do that for the ridgeline too?

I'm a visual person, so I haven't quite got my head around the SLS, but I'll do a little looking for pictures.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    You could certainly use whoopies in any fashion you can imagine but there are some things to consider.

Whoopie slings made of amsteel or dynaglide are a bit overkill because of their strength ratings. Many use smaller cordage for their tarps. Whoopie slings because of their construction use more length because they have to be folded in half so for 8 foot whoopies, you need to use a little over twice that (the little extra accounts for the buries). Amteel and dynaglide is more expensive so couple that with having to use twice as much, it will cost more.

Whoopie slings also have a limited minimum length depending on how big your fixed loop is and how long your buries are. I made some whoopies out of some diamond braided cordage I had lying around to see how they would work as tie outs but I could not get the tarp close enough to ground in windy weather.

It is possible to splice smaller diamond braided cordage like mason twine but some don't have the dexterity or patience to make them and a quick rolling hitch (or similar sliding hitch) is easy to tie and adjust and uses less length.

How would you secure the whoopies from the D rings to the trees?

Shock cord if beefy enough could work on the ridgeline but IMO a ridgeline should be taut to provide some structure to the tarp. Self tensioning guylines used on the tarp tie outs provide some give and keep the tarp taut when silnylon gets wet and can stretch.

For your needs I think whoopies would likely not be faster, would add more weight and bulk because of the extra length needed and IMO there are other more functional ways to secure your tarp.

If you wanted to use a continuous ridgeline for example, a Dutch hooks with a tarp fly or Bloomgoorge's tarp cross and a tarp key make setting one up really easy.

Having said all that, making whoopie slings and trying new things is fun and you should experiment.
    Last edited by Bubba; 10-19-2011 at 17:37.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE Revelation
    Many more good points, thank you Bubba!

I was thinking about how I would attach the whoopies to the tree and thought about just making a line with a loop on either end like a tree strap, and then figuring out something from there. But after hearing from you guys, I don't think that's the way to go anymore...will probably buy some of those dutch flyz and give that a try. The little nite ize seem like they would be a cheaper alternative for the tieouts, but they seem relatively heavy for their size.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 8Crow View Post
    Many more good points, thank you Bubba!

I was thinking about how I would attach the whoopies to the tree and thought about just making a line with a loop on either end like a tree strap, and then figuring out something from there. But after hearing from you guys, I don't think that's the way to go anymore...will probably buy some of those dutch flyz and give that a try. The little nite ize seem like they would be a cheaper alternative for the tieouts, but they seem relatively heavy for their size.
    I have some figure 9's and they work OK but they do add weight especially if you have lots of tie outs. I did just read a post about them possibly slipping when wet. I have tried numerous things but I always seem to go back to good old knots. I just like tying them and the best thing is if you have hardware and lose them, you can get stuck. Knowing a handful of knots is good anyways. Have fun!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I've been playing with BearChaser's SLS and believe it will work for me. Still working on some minor mods but so far it looks good. I like the speed of tree huggers up, SLS connected to huggers with tarp attached and stake tarp. In a rain you could be under the tarp in minutes with no fiddling since every thing is preset.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts