Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ

Cheap, DIY winter UQ if weight doesn't matter

Let's say I want to do some winter camping (in Pennsylvania, for argument's sake) and it's going to be all car camping (with very short hike at the most) so weight is not an issue. I want to hang in a hammock obviously but I also don't want to spend upward of 200 bucks for a UQ that would in any case be too heavy to make sense for 3-season back/bikepacking.

What if anything might I rig up for cheap, and without having much in the way of sewing/crafting skill?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Search here for PLUQ: Poncho liner under-quilt. You'll find lots on make-overs and enhancements. (Is a made-for-home-use down comforter between hammock and PLUQ really impractical in this setting, if say, it came out and went back into a plastic bag between care and hammock-hanging? )

Hammock
    Changes seasonally
    Tarp
    Changes seasonally
    Insulation
    Bozeman quilts
    Suspension
    Changes seasonally
    Images
    If you're car camping, you could use a thick pad or other insulation in the hammock in lieu of an underquilt.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Since your car camping and use el cheapo foam mat, , you may consider buying a wallyworld 5x7 tarp. It can be hung like a UQ, is a very good wind blocker and will hold a little heat. Supplement with a wallyworld window truck/car reflector held in WWTUQ, wallyworldtarpunderquilt. Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Very cheap option and can be used and/or stored in truck/car.
    Of course for those -26* nights up there, you may want to use xtra clothing. :P

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    Goes without saying that I'll be wearing a bunch of clothes in the hammock! As for the el cheapo foam mat, not only am I not sure that it would be thick enough for really cold weather, but it's also not the most comfortable, and the only reason I don't have something different is that the more comfy alternatives are either really heavy or really expensive. For a winter car camping trip weight is no issue.

I like the idea of suspending a cheap tarp or poncho liner under the hammock and putting a regular blanket in there, seems like it should work pretty well. I do have to do some learning about how to suspend UQs. Any other notions in the meantime?

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Pads are the cheap way to go about it....
    other then that you can get a sleeping bag to work as a peapod do a search and you will find lots of info on peapods but a good down bag with 2 zippers can work as a peapod with a good base layer and a good winter tarp and maybe a winter sock you could get down pretty low

as for a cheap winter UQ...2 words that will never go together is cheap and UQ
    and for a winter one your looking at alittle more than $200

if your a DIY guy you can make an UQ but once you add in your time your not really saving a lot but if you have the time it's the cheap way to go
    (around $100-150)

pads will work fine in the winter just Dbl them up or even a foam mat if your going to be car camping
    or like others have said you can try a PLUQ ... but for winter i think you will find you need alittle more ... without a good UQ in the winter extra cloths will only go so far you will get cold

there is a Jarbridge UQ for sale now for $125 shipped i think thats a good deal on a UQ and should get you down to 30F at least.... add a Underquilt protector and maybe a pad or a space blanket(not a fan of using space blankets) you could get down into the teens with a good base layer

also keep in mind the more cloths you have on the less heat your TQ will catch so too many layers can hurt you do some test in the yard or car camping to find a happy medium

also something to look into is IX.... again if your a DIY guy you could make a UQ out of it following the instructions in the DIY thread (sticky) and add a few extra layers ....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    So with the poncho liner solution, I basically get the liner, figure out a way to suspend it under the hammock, and then stick any old warm blanket from my house between it and the hammock? Seems simple enough. Anything complicated about it? Other than figuring out how to suspend the liner of course.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Here's the instructions: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=poncho+liner

the trick is to use the edge binding to hold a shock cord to gather each end.

Typically, PLUQ's are good to 40+ degrees at best, but blankets will help. You'll still need your pad, IMHO, but the Poncho liner will really help.

Another good use of a poncho liner is as an overcover. I use safety pins to keep mine in place. It really adds a lot of warmth!

Practice at home if you can. You don't want to end up stuck sleeping in the car!

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbphilly View Post
    So with the poncho liner solution, I basically get the liner, figure out a way to suspend it under the hammock, and then stick any old warm blanket from my house between it and the hammock? Seems simple enough. Anything complicated about it? Other than figuring out how to suspend the liner of course.
    Search for the No-Sew PLUQ. Sticking a layer of Insul-tex (IX) or Insul-Brite/Insulated Fleece between the PLUQ layers will may get you down to freezing.

A weathershield hung below the PLUQ will add about 5-10 degrees of additional warmth. Which is basically what the tarp hung under you would do.

An Emergency blanket between the PLUQ and hammock may add another 10 degrees, but you have to be careful of condensation.

You an pick up a 0 degree rectangular bag for around or under $50 and convert it into a cheap yet heavy full length UQ. There are several threads in the DIY section on doing such.

Good luck with your pursuit of frosty hanging with a warm buttocks.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Banned
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Thinsulate UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My double layer of thinsulate worked great last night in 35f weather and it was just 6.99 per yard on eBay.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast