Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Question Howdy From East Texas

Hello,

my name is Patrick and i recently became a hanger and love it. I am having some trouble though. I go canoeing down the Neches River and camp out on sandbars where there aren't any trees. I have been trying to make a protable, light weight hammock stand. I am using hurrican fence posts and all is fine except for the anchoring. Now I am looking at making a tensegrity hammock stand but am having trouble finding the measurements for the ropes. Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks a bunch. BTW, I love this site. I have been looking at it for about a year now and just joined. I guess I am slow at times.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fauxpat65 View Post
    I have been trying to make a protable, light weight hammock stand. I am using hurrican fence posts and all is fine except for the anchoring. Now I am looking at making a tensegrity hammock stand but am having trouble finding the measurements for the ropes. Can anyone help me out with this?
    Howdy Patrick! Welcome to the conversation and to the trees or stands as situations may necessitate (is that a word?).

I wanted to help you out on your tensegrity tendon question so a quick search brought me to McEntyre's thread that has tons of info. I didn't see your answer in the text but Mac or WV may be the folks with the answers and it may be found in some of the videos on that thread as well.

As far as light stands that you could use on a float trip, check out Turtle Lady's thread on the Bamboo Stand. That's a concept I'm playing with currently.

If you'd like to see a wide range of set ups and some portable stands too, you may want to come to the Texas Fall Hang in November.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Cannot help you with the stand but can say hello and welcome to the Forums from Canada!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard from Florida. I've built a Turtlelady stand and though it is portable I wouldn't want to deal with it on a canoe camping trip. When folded it consist 2 6"x 6' pieces then add hammock,UQ,TQ, and tarp. There are other lightweight portable travel stands which you mentioned and now that you've brought up the problem to the Forum a solution is on the way. The braintrust here is amazing, still haven't figured out the skyhooks yet though.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    hello Uncle MJM. Nice to meet you. Thank you for all the information. I have been wading through a lot of stuff and some has just slipped by me. I may be able to make the camping trip in November. I am gearing up for a paddlefest down in Port Aransas next weekend but should be able to make it. It will be great to meet a bunch of hangers. I have a few camping buddies but none are hangers.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies & webbing
    plenty of bamboo growing wild around these parts (nonnative plant) that I bet you'd be given permission to cut if you just asked the landowner (and I doubt any public land managers would have a problem with you doing).

I saw a stand of bamboo with some pretty stout stalks out east of Nacogdoches a few weeks ago that got my brain working.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    howdy. I found some bamboo and made the tripod stand from Turtlelady. I was testing out tonight and all was going well until this really bad wind and rain storm came up out of nowhere. I would normally stay out and work it out but being a new stand and all, I decided to come inside. I have a HH explorer with the regular tarp and it was being blown into my hammock. I will work out the kinks in nicer weather. So you are pretty close to me. Have you done the national forest in your neck of the woods? I want to do a hike on the 4c trail sometime soon. Got any suggestions on a good 2-3 day hike?

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies & webbing
    I honestly haven't done any overnight hiking since I moved down here. I've just been too busy with school.

I did try an overnight hike back in June at the Upland Island Wilderness on the Angelina that I wound up packing in early. The only water source I found clogged my filter after about 3 pumps, and there was some weather coming in while I was on top of the ridge trying to filter. By the time I got somewhere I felt comfortable to ride out the weather, I was low on water with nowhere to refill nearby and close to the trailhead. So I just hiked it out. I'd like to revisit the area, though (minus my DSLR and heavy tripod). You could easily do a few days out there. Same with any of the Wilderness areas around.

I'd even be willing to do it in the middle of hunting season (with liberal applications of hunter orange). Most hunters around here are too lazy to hunt the Wilderness areas. And if they do hunt there, they won't venture in very far. May be a few guys there hunting with their horses, but I honestly haven't heard of any guys doing that around here.

Hammock
    HH Explorer A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Stock+descender
    welcome fauxpat65!

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp