Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped Down Pad
    Suspension
    JRB's TriGlides
    Images

Question Convert HH To 1" Web Suspension

Morning Folks:

Spent the weekend at the MAHHA hang and had a great time EXCEPT FOR MY CONTINUING HAMMOCK SUSPENSION PROBLEMS!

Once again, and for the last time I hope, my whoopie slings slipped (even though I did everything possible to "set" them properly) and left me with my feet low...and my body crunched up at the bottom of my hammock.

So, before I switch over to using a continuous 1" web I have a couple of questions:

1) Will 1" web fit through the heat welded hole in the end of a HH?

2) Do I need to have a loop in the end of the 1" web so that I can catch the gathered end of the HH?

3) Given the narrow width of the gathered end of the HH, will the 1" web actually tighten up enough to actually gather the hammock material?

4) I have been looking at both the ascender ring setup as well as the "Jacks R Better" tri-glides. From what I have read on the forum, the ascenders are a little easier to thread the 1" web through. Are there any other advantages and/or disadvantages of using the ascenders versus the tri-glides?

5) What is the best place to purchase the 1" web and/or the ascender rings? (LOL, I know where to buy the triglides!)

Thanks In Advance!

WalksInDark

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    I would go with the cinch buckles from ahe or warbonnet. Or a setup of that style using descender rings. Run the amsteel loop through the holes in the hennessy gathered end.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

What packeagle said.

I bought my buckles & chain links from Paul at AHE to make my HH conversion to webbing. The long links are just right for doing this deed. ANd I believe there is a sticky here on HF to guide you through the conversion. Warbonnet buckles (new version) are basically the same as AHE's and will work just as well.

BTW, rather than using a zip-tie to close the HH weather cover over the gathered end, I just threaded a piece of 1/8 shock cord and tied it off. Now I can be anal and inspect for slippage easily (none found so far).

Jim

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Amsteel & Locked Brummel

I would use the amsteel & run it thru the holes on the HH and use a locked Brummel (When you only have access to one end) I would have it come out about 4 to 6 inches. You could either run your strap, rings or a number of other options depending on how heavy a load will be in the hammock.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Did you look at any other set ups and see if you had your whoopies on correctly ? I haven't had that much trouble with whoopies slipping to the point I'd consider ditching them. Did you 'milk the bury' on them. What are they made of? I'm just saying it seems like some piece of the 'slipping' puzzle is missing. Pictures might help someone see if they have any ideas of the problem. Pics. from tree huggers to the hammock. You MIGHT not need to switch. Just sayin.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    HH Custom & WBBB
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Suspension
    Web Suspension
    Check out this link, http://tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHHBuckles.html. I have converted all of my HH using this method. I buy my webbing and Amsteel cord from back woods daydreamer at diygearsuply.com, or some DIY stuff from wildernesslogics.com. I get the 1” cinch buckles from onrope1.com (call em for lowest shipping price).
    Everybody on the forum has a preference to which setup they like best, a there are pros and cons to all of em. I like this setup for the following. First, it’s easy. The guide on the website makes it hard to screw up, and I can screw up just about anything. While the cinch buckles may not be as light as rings or the design buckles WB or AHE sell for me, they are easier to unload and loosen with the 1” buckles from onrope1. Less fiddle factor. With a single backup slip knot in my webbing, I have never had a slip or failure. I keep 16 feet of 1” webbing on both ends, looped and stitched for biners, meaning I can use trees that are very far apart! Just wrap the webbing around the tree, clip, adjust the strap, tie a quick safety not on each end and relax!
    I’m seriously considering the lazy slug tubes from wilderness logics as my next purchase. The concept seems sooooo easy. No more stuff sacks and sepperate bags, just pull it from the sleeping bag compartment of your pack, and you up and hanging in no time!

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    I just converted my Explorer over using the WBBB cinch Buckles.
    I just made a bigger loop and then copied the pattern they use for tying on whoopies.
    Much easier than I thought.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Can't speak to the cinch buckles or descenders; I've not used them.

However, the JRB Tri-Glides are easy to use as long as you don't have gloves on (note: they would be a pain to use in sub-zero temps). Personally, I didn't change out the stock suspension on the Hennessy; I just used the standard Hennessy lashing to attach to the fixed loop on one end of the strap and cut off the excess left over on the stock cordage. I have about twenty nights in the hammock with this set up so far, and haven't had any issues with slippage.

Hope it helps.

Hammock
    Hennesy so far
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped Down Pad
    Suspension
    JRB's TriGlides
    Images
    Thanks for all of the suggestions folks!

In one post it mentions "AHE" as a possible supplier. I did a search of a forum and cannot find that vendor. Who or what is "AHE" and how can I contact them?

Second, does anyone have a picture of a stock warbonnet strap setup?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    AHE is Arrowhead equipment. Try that.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast