Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall MAHHA 2011

You what's funny, Adia just mentioned that we all forgot to do a group picture like we usually do! Ahhh maybe next time!?!?
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

This was my first group hang too and I have to say a big thanks to people like JD and Mary for the immediate sense of inclusion upon walking into camp. I had fun meeting new people, seeing all the gear, meeting some of the forum 'celebs', and just hanging out. Kudos to the organizers and I'll be looking out for the next one.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I wanted to thank the father of the young boy who read Alana a story. "Monster at the end of this book". I was not nearly as patient with ther and you got ther to sit down for 10 minutes.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I think Canoebie's post in another thread (don't bother which one) speaks to our condition almost perfectly. For you newbies, this is not what I was looking for when I joined HF, but I'm glad it's what I found here.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I think Canoebie's post in another thread (don't bother which one) speaks to our condition almost perfectly. For you newbies, this is not what I was looking for when I joined HF, but I'm glad it's what I found here.
    WV, your post adds to Canoebie's poetic statement. Thanks for sharing.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    A BIG +1 on all the previous sentiments. I really enjoyed myself this year, getting to know the vets a little bit better...and getting the chance to meet some of this year's new faces.

The pot luck was great and I even got a sweet girl to climb into a hammock with me. Granted it was Kaia wanting to rest her paws, but a check in the "win" column is still a "win". And I do believe she got all four paws off the ground before Kayak Karl scolded her.

I thought it was great to see all the little kids (crumbcrushers) running around and having a great time in the woods. Something far too many kids never get to experience. I especially like those seizure inducing sneakers one of the kids was wearing...and wonder if they make them in my size.

I look forward to the NJ Winter Hang, and I hope to see everyone again at the 2012 Spring MAHHA. I'm thinking I might bring a bottle of Paddy Whisky with me to that one. More to go around and share with you find folks.

Cheers,
    Mickey

P.S. Here are some random and impromtu pics of the Pot Luck.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My first group hang. What a great trip! I learned a whole bunch, met some great people, and got some serious gear envy. I wish I had brought a notebook to write down some of the stuff I learned.

Perrito took the train down the Jersey Shore & we headed south in my 1994 Cadillac Sedan de Ville with 160,000 miles. Lots of traffic, but we parked the car and got on the trail in Harper's Ferry by 2:15 pm for the pre-hike. A light rain the whole day, enough to soak everything. We made good time on the flat C&O canal trail. However, once we hit the Weverton Cliffs, my 50 lb. pack got the best of me. Perrito patiently waited as I rested after just about every switchback. Since we didn't know if the other pre-hikers were hanging at the Weverton Cliffs or Ed Garvey Shelter, we made a side trip down to the cliffs. The mosquitoes were all over us at the cliffs, so we were happy that wasn't where the other pre-hikers were camping.

We got to Ed Garvey shelter about 6:30 and had to set up in the dark. WV and Bearchaser helped me and Perrito get set up. We were both too tired to cook. I ate a package of tuna salad with crackers, and a granola bar. I got woken up by a leak in my tarp. I wiped the area dry, applied some toluene seam sealer, and it fixed the leak. That was a thrilling moment of accomplishment!

In the morning people set off towards Gathland State Park in different groups. Perrito, Black Wolf and me were the last to leave. At first we were hiking together, then it started raining cats and dogs. I zoned out and had only one thought on my mind: get out of the rain as soon as possible. Next thing I know I'm by myself, having zoomed ahead of Perrito and Black Wolf. Once the elevation started rising, I pooped out again and they caught up. Perrito and Black Wolf kindly waited on me when I needed to rest my shoulders from my ultra-heavy pack.

By the time we got to the campsite, the rain started easing off. I set up my tarp, but when I went to hang the hammock, I found that I had pulled the adjustable loop of the whoopie through itself. I had read threads where people recommended putting a bead on the adjustable loop so this wouldn't happen, but I always thought, "What kind of idiot would pull the whoopie through itself?" Now I know what kind of idiot would do that. I thought about asking one of the grizzled veteran hangers about how to fix the whoopie. Instead, I just went at it with my teeth and got it back out. I had more whoopies in the car, but I'm glad I didn't have to hike back down.

Then the evening campfire festivities began. There were some interesting beverages to be sampled for sure, and I talked to a lot of people I couldn't see too well in the dark. In the morning, I found myself re-introducing myself to people who said, "Don't you remember? We talked last night." Yeah, we talked, but I couldn't see you! My night vision leaves something to be desired.

By Saturday, all my gear had dried out. I went down to the pavilion to start slow-cooking my chili about noon. With all the chili I eat, I couldn't tell if it was hot enough. Perrito and Black Wolf, fellow chili-heads, told me I should kick it up a notch, so I added some Endorphin Rush, Blair's After Death, and Dave's Insanity Sauce. I think it was definitely hot enough after that. It was kind of funny seeing the reactions of some people to how hot it was, though the chili-heads still said it was mild. I still had plenty of leftovers, so I'll be eating chili for lunch all week. I just had a bowl!

Can't wait to some of you at the NJ Winter Hang in January! Now, let me go see if I can reduce my pack weight by twenty lbs.

Hammock
    Chameleon by Dutch
    Tarp
    Sgt. Rock diy w/en
    Insulation
    JRB No-Sniveller+o
    Suspension
    yep
    Images
    WOW! looking at the pics i see a LOT of new faces. that's just terrific for the community, i love it. Wish i could have made this one, but there will be others. maybe i'll give this January winter hang thing a try.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    The trip started for me and Ben by hitch hiking my way 150 miles or so. We got to stealth hang 2 nights on the edge of a shopping plaza near a beaver swamp. Tuesday arrived and MML picked us up for the Wed. drive to the pre hike. .We met sweetbabyd and Blackwolf and began our pre hike in the rain. The Ed Garvey shelter was our community space to dry out and stay out of the constant rain. A giant, really thought out shelter that is kept up and clean. Our numbers grew when WV, Bear chaser, R00K and Silver surfer arrived. There was someone with Silver surfer but I am drawing a blank on the name.(Sorry,I cannot recall your name because we talked and laughed a bunch too and I should remember it!) We got to talk to 2 SoBo hikers and a finishing NoBo ( he caught a train to harpers Ferry and was hiking to his home in Pa.) He thought we were joking about having a 'hammock club.' They stopped for lunch and they were very interested in our funny little group of weird hammock people. Many laughs on the 'Ed Garvey morning show' and 'Hammock talk' . Sweetbabyd has a shared sense of humor. WV is a wealth of tid bits and knowledge on all things outdoors. Bear chaser was not needed for bear removal. Black wolf, you are one of a kind and I'm glad we met. A pre hike is now on the must do list before a group hang for me also. I find that the one on one lets me get to know people better. Then as Fri came and we hiked in groups to the MAHHA the weather changed to wind. Then the sun-ahhhh-sun. Great time at the hang. I thought I could remember a few things I saw and wanted to get or make but the list got too big and I went back around and took pics of all the gadgets and ideas so I wouldn't forget stuff. The food was super as always. I really liked the brownies and Black wolf's corn casserole with the triple smoked bacon. Yummmm! Thanks to all the nice things a lot of people had to say about Ben (my dog). He is a special gift that is for sure! Thanks to the vendors for all the donations. I really wanted the $100 dollar gift certificate from Molly Mac--darn! My biggest thanks goes to MML who let me stay at his house for a night, pre- pre hike and gave me a ride down BUT went even beyond the call when he went way out of the way and dropped me off only 20 miles from home. A lot of people I am most happy to have met have been from Hammock Forums. Thanks for a weekend I will replay in memory many times. Rambling trip report done.
    We are honored to have some great personalitys like yourself and your steadfast friend in our crazy fun loving hammock community.
    I appreciate the great time we all had!!!
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    It was a great time. Thanks for sharing the pics Cranky Bear.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast