Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've enjoyed hammocking for a couple of years, and I'm a frugal noob (two kids in college). I understand the sticker shock some people experience when they read so many people on HF proselytizing about gear that is so EXPENSIVE.

Still, this forum (and this hobby) is no different than any other forum or hobby, in that some people have more disposable income than others, or choose to spend their money in ways differently than I would choose.

Personally, I like to drive cheap, econo-box automobiles that get excellent gas mileage. I would NEVER spend $86K on a gas-guzzling 2012 BMW X5 M SUV that gets 12 mi. city/17 highway. They probably spend more to fill the thing up than I spend on groceries in a month. It's a personal choice (one I frankly don't understand).

I see the same phenomenon among snowboarders and downhill skiers, some of whom must go out and buy new skis, snowboards, and clothing each year. They want the latest, greatest, even if it's barely different from last year's models. My hobby is skiing, not buying expensive ski gear. To this day I ski with a nylon shell I bought 25 years ago. Before that I ski'd in blue jeans. Call me cheap.

I saw the same thing when I was involved with Boy Scouts. There were some scouts (and leaders) who simply HAD to have the latest, most expensive camping and backpacking gear on the market. I called them Cadillac campers.

And we have our gear junkies here in the hammock community. One guy came to MAHHA with five hammocks (I won't mention Syb's name - oops). I was jealous 'cause I only brought three, none of them probably as nice as his.

Just because you can't afford the latest, greatest hammock gear doesn't mean you can't get out in the piney woods. I have no doubt that underquilts are better than pads. However, until I save my pennies, or the UQ fairy visits, or Santa Claus drops an underquilt down my chimney, I'm gonna stick with pads or any of the other cheap, heavy DIY insulation solutions that abound on this forum. I'll remain jealous, filled with gear envy, but I WON'T be doing YouTube videos to justify why I'm still using a pad, or try to come up with the next-generation pad that will "obsolete" those expensive underquilts. Pads stink and I know it.

Funny how a few videos can get everybody riled up, though. Between stove wars and tree straps and obsoleting underquilts, I've never laughed so hard!

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I purposely havent commented on these threads because I surely would have been banned ....I just wasnt going to dignify ANY of this.
    Silvr sufr thanks for being so tactful...
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345