BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing

Cheap/easy mod for side sleepers

Getting used to my new BMBH. When I side sleep I must have a good size pillow, think body pillow, between my legs (bow legged & bad back), a little difficult to find the space in the pack for this. I gravitate to bottom leg straight & top leg bent. In the BMBH this puts my top leg knee area on the very hard & sharp edge. Great support that is very comfortable for me but I needed a small, light weight solution to that hard edge that won't shift or fall out during the night.

I Cut a $2. Walmart pool noodle in half, made a slit along it's length & fit over the edge ... wallah. Have since cut it down to about 8"L & adjust it to where I need it as the night goes along. Easy to adjust or switch sides without waking up much (even with the net as long as your not too tightly hung). Pipe insulation could also be used which would be even lighter & more compressible but don't know how well it would clamp to the edge.

So for those that give a hoot - a cheap, easy mod that weighs virtually nothing & doesn't take up much pack space.
    The older I get the better I used to be. Superhero status is near.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    That's a creative solution. Necessity is the mother of hammock inventions.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

I have a BMBH on it's way and was just wondering, what is the hard edge you are talking about?
    Last edited by spaceweaseal; 10-16-2011 at 10:51.

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    You should be enjoying your BMBH very soon. You'll figure out what I'm talking about real quick especially if your used to a gathered end.

Quote Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
    You should be enjoying your BMBH very soon. You'll figure out what I'm talking about real quick especially if your used to a gathered end.
    Lol
    So is it some top secret where you just can't tell me?

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    spaceweaseal - Lol So is it some top secret where you just can't tell me?
    No secret. Figured it was no big deal since it would be self evident within a few days. But since it appears important to you I'll concede.

A GE supports the weight along it's center from end to end. The edges have little stress, this is why the edges are simply rolled under & sewn, the support material attaches to the ends. A bridge supports the weight along it's sides and the support materials are sewn into the side edges. On the BMBH the sides are set fairly high by the cut & stand almost vertical. This creates a very rigid, hard & thin surface along the sides on what is a narrow hammock in comparison to a generously cut GE. If using a mat/pad that is much more than an inch in thickness and/ or if your a big guy like me this exposes that edge to your arms in a minor fashion but if your a side sleeper that bends your top leg, like me, it ends up being supported on this edge.

That make it about as clear as mud spaceweaseal. Like I said it will make sense once you receive your BMBH.

I see...
    Thank you very much for the explanation......

Images
    So you mean the stitched edge of the side walls are painful against the knee? What if you took some soft fabric and stuffing, and sew it around the edge to replicate the noodle. Like a built in pillow...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    So you mean the stitched edge of the side walls are painful against the knee? What if you took some soft fabric and stuffing, and sew it around the edge to replicate the noodle. Like a built in pillow...
    This edge is very stiff, and can be uncomfortable if you rest body weight on it while side sleeping or using as a chair. Learning curve I guess, but I don't seem to have much problem in chair mode any more. But used to I liked to put my CCF sit pad under my legs. Just don't seem to need that much anymore.

When back or side sleeping, I don't normally contact this edge at all. But I have found a way to sleep with quite a bit of fetal- usually hard to do in this hammock- by laying my legs on this edge. Probably a mod such as in this thread would make that a lot more comfy. But, anyway I'm not sure I could keep a TQ tucked well enough sleeping this way.

• + New Posts