1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Maybe, just maybe, Tinny was working on a stove and left the alky bottle open. To many fumes in a small, enclosed space, then decided to make a vid? Just a thought.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Trees grow around lots of things. But they stay there long enough to be grown around. The biggest danger, beyond compressing the cambria, is any damage is left open once the culprit are removed. Openings in the bark can serve as doorways for pests and disease to enter.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    When I first started hanging I thought tree straps were intuitively better. It made sense to me. If I stood barefoot on some rebar vs standing on a 4 inch plank, my feet would hurt a lot more and on the rebar. I don't think there is a valid reason to not take the precaution to protect not only the trees but our ability to use them so that we may continue enjoying our outdoor pursuits.

Even if you are obsessively weight and bulk conscious, is it not worth it to take an extra minute to put some trail sticks under the amsteel so the weight is better distributed on the tree? Just because I have driven for 25 years without getting into a car accident, is that a reason to not wear a seat belt?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAlpha View Post
    I use amsteel tree straps & dynaglide whoopies to the hammock. I'm 115lbs
    How do you use the amsteel as tree straps ShadowAlpha? Do you just have a fixed eye at each end?

At 175lbs I'm interested in giving this a go with a length of tubular webbing threaded on.
    Last edited by Shewie; 10-12-2011 at 19:31.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Yup, a tree can take lots of damage, but some trees are thinner skinned then others. I have straps on my Blackbird and was a little concerned with the barking they did to the pine tree I was hanging on last. I'll look at it next summer as where I'm staying there is only 3 trees that are objects but I'm going to look for some extra wide strap to spread the load a little bit more.

Support wise, you won't snap the tree in half, no. But depending on the tree you can do a lot of damage.

And, just in keeping with the season
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    How do you use the amsteel as tree straps ShadowAlpha? Do you just have a fixed eye at each end?

At 175lbs I'm interested in giving this a go with a length of tubular webbing threaded on.
    If you are going to carry the webbing why not just tie a couple of loops in it and use it as a hugger. The unit load will be much lower than you can achieve by threading amsteel through it. The tree and anybody who wants to complain will both be happier.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Many use the amsteel straps in the same way they would webbing straps, but put a small dead trail stick about every 8" or so to disperse the weight away from the line. But I'm sure plenty have used it without doing that as well.

What's a couple ounces for the sake of hammock acceptance? And for the chance that the trees may actually get damamaged.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Personally,,,I carry 2 sets of straps, 6' and 8',,for me and the wife..I like using the straps,,and it definitely saves wear and tear on the trees,,especially if your car camping,,those trees will see alot more abuse on their bark than say,,the ones in the woods when your hiking. As hammock hanging gains more and more supporters and more hangers over time...we must set the example that we are not abusing the trees..Use the straps..no biggie,,use them..they weigh but nothing much,,and work great too.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I abandon tree straps now and then... leave them right on the tree, pack everything else up and walk away! Now I carry extras.

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I hang in my back yard between a pair of cabbage palms. Granted, palms aren't "real trees" but the idea is the same. Even using 1" and sometimes 1-1/2" straps I'm still starting to see a groove in the back side of the "bark". This is after maybe a half dozen nights of hanging and a few cat naps.

Now, in a few thousand acre park where stealth camping between your random tree is allowed/promoted the chances of putting the same load on the same spot of two trees is pretty slim.

If you cut that down to a park campground though you'll soon find there are only a few "sweet spots" at each site (right diameter, view, size, etc). These will soon end up with a groove and rub marks in the bark. Just take a look at some more popular state parks that weren't managed so well in the past (clothes lines, huge spikes, burned spots in the bark from lanterns). "You can't fix stupid" so there's nothing we can do about the careless campers before us but we can certainly derail a negative trend before it has a chance to pick up speed.

Now even if I had scientific proof that tying straight to the tree did no damage to the bark I would still us straps. Why??...because I'm cheap. My whoopies are maybe $15 and attached directly to my hammock. The straps cost me about $2 to make (thanks Timberr for the sale tip). Once these start to show some wear or get covered in sap (lots of pines in FL) I just toss them and make a new set.

So, like most things in America.....my decision is driven by the all mighty dollar.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast