Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images

Knee Replacement Surgery- Hanging & Hiking before and after?

One thing I have learned in a year on this forum is that it's members cover the spectrum of ages, professions, skills and medical issues!
    Both my knees are shot from many years of lowest bidder boots, running in full gear, etc.
    The orthopedic surgeon says both knees are bone on bone, and after 3 arthroscopic surgeries, I am missing a bit of cartilage in both of them.

All of this severly limits my hiking range now. I sleep better in the hammock than I did in a tent on the ground.

So, the plan is to probably get one, then the other done over the winter.

I am sure we have forum members with knee replacements.
    Any suggestions / comments?

Were there noticeable things that were different between before and after the knee replacement with regards to hiking or hanging?

Anybody who has had both knees done in the past?

I am usually a side sleeper and I wonder if that will be an issue with the replacements.

All advice, comments, suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks in advance,
    DKPerdue

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I had my left knee done when i was 20(bad motorcycle accident) years old i'm 32 now and it doesn't give me much problems ... the only thing that i get is some stiffness in cold weather but thats not even a problem anymore
    give it time to heal .... from what i remember it was a good year i would say closer to two before i was close to 100% but everyone is different
    along with the knee i had a shin plate 11 screws and 2 pins installed
    i'm worth more scrapped LOL

but i don't have any problems with it ... i have more problems with my right knee since it did more of the work the first few years
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by dkperdue View Post
    I am sure we have forum members with knee replacements.
    Any suggestions / comments?

Were there noticeable things that were different between before and after the knee replacement with regards to hiking or hanging?

Anybody who has had both knees done in the past?

I am usually a side sleeper and I wonder if that will be an issue with the replacements.
    Knee replacements are what led me to hammocking and HF. The hammock is absolutely golden for both sleeping and set up/break down of camp when mobility is reduced. I had my right knee replaced in 2008 and my left in 2010. This is no light weight surgery and I recommend you avoid it for as long as you possibly can. Your OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) knees will always work much better than aftermarket...know that before you go into this. Takes about a year maybe even two before they get to feeling reasonably good. I cannot get into a tent because kneeling is still painful and just the thought of running/jumping gives me the shivers. YMMV

Suggestions;
    1-Lose weight right now.
    2-Lose weight right now.
    3-Lose weight right now.

Then;
    Research an orthopedic doc really well with former patients. Line up a physical therapy group the same way. Before the surgery, put aside a couple of units of your own blood (they will be used). After the surgery, insist on no kidding blood thinners until the threat of Embolisms are past (both my replacements gave me this).

PT is going to hurt but you want as much flexibility and strength in the knees as you can get. Don't scrimp on this part and don't be bashful about pain meds for this. I moto camp but would really like to get back into backpacking so this may be the way to get that done. A good set of Trekking poles will be your best friend for any walking of any decent length. I prefer them over canes etc because they force me to work both legs equally and help big time with balance plus recovery from deep knee bending (that WILL be an issue for you).

If there is anything I can help you with don't hesitate to ask...you are in for either a very easy time of this or the most painful experience of your life. I got both experiences and now know what level 10 pain feels like. I say this because everybody told me it was the best thing they ever did and they had no problems...want you to be ready in case it does not go that way for you. Forewarned is forearmed.

Edit: I am told the more you use and abuse the appliance the shorter its lifespan will be. All in all I am glad I had it done as things are better than they were for mobility. YMMV
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 10-10-2011 at 17:20.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    12'x12'
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Strps cinch buckle
    DKPerdue, I have not had surgery, but two of my friends have recently. Knowing what they went through before and after, I will say this. DO the exercises they give you to do pre-op. Doing them religiously will make a significant difference in your recovery time.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 double layer
    Tarp
    Jacksrbetter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    webbing
    I know this thread is a few years old. I am in a similar situation as the original poster and was wondering if he had the knee surgery and how the recovery is going. I am 51 and enjoy backpacking and hanging, but my son is getting bored with my 3 or 4 mile a day range.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    PMing with a solution that has worked for me - not a marketing/sales/MML note.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I had my left knee replaced three years ago. Biggest mistake of my life. I've had nothing but trouble after the surgery, and last spring, a simple slip and fall shattered my femur. It's been 9 months of pain and rehab (again) and I've lost a lot of the ROM and strength I struggled to get back after the replacement. I researched my surgeon extensively before the surgery, and he is considered a top guy in the SLC area. I was 50 years old, active, and healthy at the time of surgery. My initial PT was not good, although they were the top dog in town. I found another PT group who have been excellent. But I'm like the bad penny that they can't get rid of. I've had 4 surgeries on this knee in 3 years (replacement, scope, revision or replacement, femur fx) and it has taken a huge toll on my strength in that leg. I think that in the grand scheme of things, I am unfortunately in the 5-10% that doesn't have a good outcome. No matter how people rave about their knee replacement, just know that it's not a guaranteed success. I continue to work hard with my PT folks to get myself back on my whitewater raft by this summer. I have my eyes on the prize, and I know that hard work & faith will get me there.
    Good luck with your surgery. Be prepared to work hard and push through pain to get results. I'll be sending up a prayer for you.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    PM'd the OP as it would be interesting to get his perspective now...
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 double layer
    Tarp
    Jacksrbetter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    I had my left knee replaced three years ago. Biggest mistake of my life. I've had nothing but trouble after the surgery, and last spring, a simple slip and fall shattered my femur. It's been 9 months of pain and rehab (again) and I've lost a lot of the ROM and strength I struggled to get back after the replacement. I researched my surgeon extensively before the surgery, and he is considered a top guy in the SLC area. I was 50 years old, active, and healthy at the time of surgery. My initial PT was not good, although they were the top dog in town. I found another PT group who have been excellent. But I'm like the bad penny that they can't get rid of. I've had 4 surgeries on this knee in 3 years (replacement, scope, revision or replacement, femur fx) and it has taken a huge toll on my strength in that leg. I think that in the grand scheme of things, I am unfortunately in the 5-10% that doesn't have a good outcome. No matter how people rave about their knee replacement, just know that it's not a guaranteed success. I continue to work hard with my PT folks to get myself back on my whitewater raft by this summer. I have my eyes on the prize, and I know that hard work & faith will get me there.
    Good luck with your surgery. Be prepared to work hard and push through pain to get results. I'll be sending up a prayer for you.
    That really sucks. I have been putting replacements off just for that reason (no guarantee with surgery). I am able to still do the things I like. Just a little less distance. We started motorcycle/hanging last year and that is a blast. I think I will hold off as long as possible.

I'm with Law Dawg, research and find a surgeon who does lots of these surgeries, and as important, find a physical therapy place that has a great track record. Do everything the Doc says, and work your a** off in therapy, maybe some pain, but tons of gain. I have one replacement, 13+ yrs. ago, and I can hike without much of any issue.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast