WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillipsart View Post
    May I suggest, while the closure of half the Great Walk on Fraser Island.

Take the barge from River heads to Wangoolba Creek at Fraser Island, than hike to Central Station, Have a good explore around Central Station and hike to Lake Wabby the following day, Than hike to Valley of the Giants, stay two nights there and return back to Lake Wabby. from lake wabby hike to Lake McKenzie, stay one night there than hike to King Fisher Bay resort the following day. Take the barge back to River Heads from Kingfisher Bay.

The hike from Lake Wabby to Valley of the Giants is a long hike, There's lot's to see and do at Valley of the Giants, hence why I suggest to stay there for two nights.

Also, security car parking is available at River Heads through the local Real Estate there for a small fee.
    Thanks Phillipsart! That is all golden information! You most certainly may suggest, and I like what you suggested. That sounds good enough for me! I’ve put off going back to Fraser (last there 1989), because it seems a bit tricky to work out a good walk. Now though, with your local knowledge, I am well on my way to coming up with a great walk! Thanks, it’s very helpful!

Hammock
    WBBB/UL BMB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hey Phillip, nice report. You're racking up the trips! Hope your feet are improving.

Outside of captivity, the only Dingoes I've seen have been in the outback, and I haven't seen a fat one yet.

Holger, that looks like great fun!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    Thanks Phillipsart! That is all golden information! You most certainly may suggest, and I like what you suggested. That sounds good enough for me! I’ve put off going back to Fraser (last there 1989), because it seems a bit tricky to work out a good walk. Now though, with your local knowledge, I am well on my way to coming up with a great walk! Thanks, it’s very helpful!
    Your welcome Bruciehi5.

There's many other excellent walks over there, including off-track, but you'll need a 4WD to get anywhere near them. Way up the top of Fraser is awesome, lot's of great off-track hiking. It's a very isolated area, with lot's of history with the old lighthouse.

There are plans to increase the distance on the northern part of the great walk at Fraser Island in the future. I believe there has just been a team there doing a reccy and started preparing tracks for the future extension.

A true paradise and I'm happy to live just across the water from the island.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by photohiker View Post
    Hey Phillip, nice report. You're racking up the trips! Hope your feet are improving.

Outside of captivity, the only Dingoes I've seen have been in the outback, and I haven't seen a fat one yet.

Holger, that looks like great fun!
    I tried another trick with my boots. I jumped up and down on them, got that plastic or rubber what ever it is toe box as soft as I could get them, and it's helped a lot. I now have more room for my toes.

Also tried another trick to try to stop the blisters on my heel, I used some half inch CCF form, but a small piece and placed it on my heels inside my socks, and it's stopped the boots causing blisters, however the terrain I hiked the last couple of days and flat. Going up hill will be the real test.

Toes still look disgusting, black, blue, purple but they don't hurt like they used to.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Great report Philip. Very different from my area ,,,i like that. i've never been to Oz but any Doc's i've seen make it look great . Saw a Doc. on Frazer Island once and it looked like paradise what with the inland creeks on sand. Sounds like the dingo problem there is similar to the black bear problem in some places here,,,that is its a people problem. Your sore feet seem to be getting you lots of places,,,hope they improve. Thanks for sharing.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    Hi. Did you go to Fraser Island?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Hi there Phillipsart,

Adding comments via smart phone, that’s pretty fancy!

I hope you’re ok! I haven’t seen a video from you in a while!

No, I haven’t yet. It’s on my list of things to do. It will have to be at a VERY quiet time of the year, maybe mid winter. I know it is crowded there most of the year and I want the island to myself, or at least as close as I can get too it. Morten Island might get done before Fraser Island.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hi, I've never been to moreton island. Wise idea to stay away during peak periods if you can at Fraser island, although the walking tracks are less populated, and the heat now will test you. I'm leading a hike in June at Fraser island.

I've got myself a new smartphone. Only weighs 150 grams, has a 8MP camera and HD video. I think it will be great to take on my overnight hikes, only problem the battery don't last long. I've seen on one of your videos a solar panel strapped to your pack, can I ask about it? What model, and the durability, I'm looking for a lightweight solar charger I can use to charge my phone and gps.

I'll take some videos on my next overnight hike.

I've been out and about for the past couple of months, at home now recuperating. Spent a fair bit of time down at the gold coast and the sunny coast. I did not take my camera with me, choosing to leave it behind to go as light as possible.

Hammock is going great, had some damage on my tarp one night during a wild storm, small branches pelted my Superfly causing a couple little holes, patched them up with SilNet products.

Hammock is still as comfy as the day I purchased it. Leading up to some hot weather up here, so I'll be backing off a bit on the overnight hikes till the weather cools down a bit. A lot less leeches in the cooler weather as well.
    One thing I've learnt, is I prefer hiking in the cooler weather.
    Last edited by Phillipsart; 01-14-2012 at 19:31.

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Now, let’s see...

I “WAS” using the Power Monkey Explorer and I found that it “just” did the job, but the battery started to show signs of not charging up as much as it did after 10 or 11 mouths of light to moderate use. I was disappointed. I had a look at what else was around and thought about getting the Power Monkey Extreme, but decided not to risk the same thing happening with the battery. So, I ended up finding and buying a sCharger 5. It’s the most powerful compact charger I could find, it’s built to last in the USA, but it’s not light – 246 grams, no battery. I also got a Duracell Instant Charger from Office Works which weighs 43 grams. For charging your phone, you’d be better off with the Powerhouse model. I carry the Instant charger and what’s left of the Solar Monkey battery for back up when the sun don’t shine. The key to the whole solar charging thing is timing. I’m finding that early to bed, early to rise, early to get to camp and get the charger charging works best. Between 10 and 3:30 is the best charging time. If the sun is mostly out and if I start charging by 11 or 12:00, I get everything charged up. I prefer to walk early and camp early, so this arrangement works well for me. It gives the solar shower time to warm up. The sCharger takes about the same time as charging via computer USB port.

Power Monkey Explorer
    https://powertraveller.com/iwantsome/primatepower/powermonkey-explorer/
    Power Monkey Extreme
    https://powertraveller.com/iwantsome/primatepower/powermonkeyextreme/
    sCharger 5
    http://www.suntactics.com/USBSolarChargerMoreDetails.html
    sCharger 5 Reviews
    http://www.amazon.com/sCharger-5-Powerful-Actually-Portable-Directly/product-reviews/B003ZFQUWO/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1& sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending
    Duracell Instant Charger
    http://www.duracell.com/en-US/category/power-reserves.jspx

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Nice trip report and pictures. I'm sorry I missed this the first time around.

Thanks Phillipsart and Bruciehi5 and everyone around the world for your trip reports. Us po folk need to see what the rest of the world looks like from your eyes.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast